Sign in to follow this  
tecklc2112

Keeper Leaguers Chime in...

What is your keeper preference?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. In your ideal keeper league, how many keepers do you like to have the option of keeping?

• 1 keeper
    • up to 2 keepers
    • up to 3 keepers
    • up to 4 keepers
    • 5+ keepers

For those in keeper leagues, how many keepers does your league allow you to keep? Do you like that number, why or why not? Thanks in advance for the opinions!

We do a 2 keeper league with a reserve keeper that you can switch out ONLY due to an injury, until the day of the draft.

We do 3 and the thing I like the best about our system is that we keep the player based on the round they were originally drafted in. It makes drafting, pickups and trading more strategic and rewards smart owners that look to the future.

Example: I drafted Ray Rice in the 5th round two years ago and can use my 5th rounder for the following three years to keep him. I picked up Shonn Greene two years ago once I figured Jones was going to move on and now I can keep him for a 12th rounder for three years.

Just a thought to make keepers even more fun.

I really like my 4 keeper rules.

Keep 0, you get 1 FA pick, 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks

Keep 1, you get 1st 2nd and 3rd round picks

Keep 2, you get 2nd and 3rd round picks

Keep 3, you get 3rd round pick

Keep all 4, your first pick will be in the 4th round.

We do 3 keepers. Sometimes I wish we would do more. I hate the fact that I have to drop DeSean Jackson, Percy Harvin and Ahmad Bradshaw. That said, there is always talent available in the draft and adds to the parity as it gives teams a chance to improve from year to year. On top of that, we have a rule where each team can only keep one player for more than 2 years straight, so there is additional turnover. We created the rule when I won the first two seasons of the keeper league on the backs of LT and LJ (an amazing 4th round pick in the year got hurt - talk about foresight), so being the charitable commish I am, we created the rule so nobody could have 2 dominant players for too long. With so much turnover in the NFL, I didn't think it would make much difference and it didn't as LJ fell off and LT a few years later.

Also, to add to the parity, given that it is a keeper league, I do a lottery for draft position using an online dice rolling program (7 dice, 36 possible numbers, accounting for 282,096 different number combinations or ping pong balls as I refer to them to the league). The ping pong balls are allocated based on points scored the prior year, with those scoring less getting more ping pong balls. Plus, those teams who made the playoffs and the team that won are given even more "points" resulting in fewer ping pong balls for them. So, the teams that sucked and didn't make the playoffs have a better chance of a high pick, which is valuable given the players that have to be dropped. This year, Andre Johnson, McFadden, MJD, Nicks, Jennings, Wayne, Hillis, D Jax and Bradshaw are available.

We do 2 keepers costing one rd higher than they were drafted the previous year, with a 10th rd minimum. Ex. I will keep Vick for a 10th, but I will also keep McFadden, who was a 13th rd pick. I can't give up 2 tenths, so I loose a 9th and 10th. Also a player must enter the draft pool every third year. Ex. I rostered Vick last year, keep him this year, he hits FA next year into the draft pool. It makes for a more active offseason, and gives more value to the late picks, instead of everybody just keeping their 1st rounder. It also gives you a chance to develop a lot of strategy. I calculated all of my keeper options, combined with estimated first round picks, to figure which lineup would give me the most value.

We do 2 keepers costing one rd higher than they were drafted the previous year, with a 10th rd minimum. Ex. I will keep Vick for a 10th, but I will also keep McFadden, who was a 13th rd pick. I can't give up 2 tenths, so I loose a 9th and 10th. Also a player must enter the draft pool every third year. Ex. I rostered Vick last year, keep him this year, he hits FA next year into the draft pool. It makes for a more active offseason, and gives more value to the late picks, instead of everybody just keeping their 1st rounder. It also gives you a chance to develop a lot of strategy. I calculated all of my keeper options, combined with estimated first round picks, to figure which lineup would give me the most value.

Your league is very similar to my setup...We keep 2 & each keeper costs us a round higher than where they were drafted. Only difference is that our minimum is a 12th rounder.

Ok my league has a little different twist. We are able to keep 10 players

But

We do so based on years in the nfl

we keep

3 players with 1 yr

2 players with 2 yrs

3 players with 3 to 12 yrs, but can only keep 2 players at any one position

any player with 13 plus years can be kept as a 1yr player

1 k

1 def

We also have a poaching rule

this allows the last place team from the last season to steal 1 3-12 yr player from the 1st place team, if they choose to poach then the draft last in the first round and 1st in all following rounds.

Been doing this league over 10 yrs... Works good and you can build your team for the future. we have a final roster of 26...

We do 3 keepers. Sometimes I wish we would do more. I hate the fact that I have to drop DeSean Jackson, Percy Harvin and Ahmad Bradshaw. That said, there is always talent available in the draft and adds to the parity as it gives teams a chance to improve from year to year. On top of that, we have a rule where each team can only keep one player for more than 2 years straight, so there is additional turnover. We created the rule when I won the first two seasons of the keeper league on the backs of LT and LJ (an amazing 4th round pick in the year got hurt - talk about foresight), so being the charitable commish I am, we created the rule so nobody could have 2 dominant players for too long. With so much turnover in the NFL, I didn't think it would make much difference and it didn't as LJ fell off and LT a few years later.

Also, to add to the parity, given that it is a keeper league, I do a lottery for draft position using an online dice rolling program (7 dice, 36 possible numbers, accounting for 282,096 different number combinations or ping pong balls as I refer to them to the league). The ping pong balls are allocated based on points scored the prior year, with those scoring less getting more ping pong balls. Plus, those teams who made the playoffs and the team that won are given even more "points" resulting in fewer ping pong balls for them. So, the teams that sucked and didn't make the playoffs have a better chance of a high pick, which is valuable given the players that have to be dropped. This year, Andre Johnson, McFadden, MJD, Nicks, Jennings, Wayne, Hillis, D Jax and Bradshaw are available.

Can you pass along that site? We do a similar lottery, but just put 12 "balls" in a hat from 12th place, 11 "balls" for 11th place, etc.

It isn't entirely fair so that site may help.

I play in two money keeper leagues. Neither have complexity regarding year limits, where the keeper was drafted, etc.

1 - 12 team, 1 keeper

2 - 10 team, 4 keepers (no more than 2 from one position)

I like the four keeper league more. That many guys can give you an edge in manipulating your draft, if you keep notes on who everyone else is keeping. For example, the standard in that league seems to be keeping 1 QB, 1 WR, and 2 RB - and no one has ever veered away from it for some reason. Every team keeps a QB, even if they're not that good. So the past couple years I've been keeping 2 RB and 2 WR, and throwing my mid-tier QBs back in the pool. Since all other teams have a starting QB going into the draft, I can solidify myself at RB, WR, and maybe even TE before grabbing back that same QB (or a better one) in round 3 or 4.

On the other hand, keeping that many guys with no restrictions can make it a little tougher for a bad team to improve, unless you really hit on mid-round sleepers or FA pickups. There was one guy who was keeping Warner, ADP, Fitz, and Andre Johnson every season, and for a few years he was just unstoppable.