Sign in to follow this  
Bearnut

Ryan Mathews

Ok I couldn't believe this guy was going at the end of the first round last year. But this year I got him in the 6th round of my 14-team league, 78th overall. He went about 18 spots later than where he goes in average ESPN drafts.

Do you guys think I got a good deal? I picked up Tolbert in the round after just in case. I'm excited to see what happens in the SD backfield this year.

Ok I couldn't believe this guy was going at the end of the first round last year. But this year I got him in the 6th round of my 14-team league, 78th overall. He went about 18 spots later than where he goes in average ESPN drafts.

Do you guys think I got a good deal? I picked up Tolbert in the round after just in case. I'm excited to see what happens in the SD backfield this year.

14 team league in the 6th round......HELL YES YOU GOT A GOOD DEAL :thumbsup:

I drank the Mathews cool-aid last year and picked him in the 2nd round and the SOB was hurt all year. Ive said i will never pick a rookie that high again. But he has the talent there is no question just staying on the field is the problem. In that offense he should thrive and i dont see Tolbert stealing many carries from him beside the goal line. Anyway for the 6th round hell yes

14 team league in the 6th round......HELL YES YOU GOT A GOOD DEAL :thumbsup:

I drank the Mathews cool-aid last year and picked him in the 2nd round and the SOB was hurt all year. Ive said i will never pick a rookie that high again. But he has the talent there is no question just staying on the field is the problem. In that offense he should thrive and i dont see Tolbert stealing many carries from him beside the goal line. Anyway for the 6th round hell yes

I really don't feel like my league is terrible at drafting, but it really is interesting how some guys fall sometimes.

In the same league I got Romo with my 4th rounder...a round after Manning, Big Ben, and Schaub were taken.

Also got Vernon Davis in the 5th. All of the other "Elite 5" TEs were gone in the 3rd except Dallas Clark who went in the 4th.

Feel like I got some really good value for such a big league. And Chris Johnson in the first at #7!

Awesome value there! My draft is Sat and I am targeting him at the 4-5 turn in a 10 teamer. Getting Tolbert too is a must IMHO. Only hesitation for me is that I'm not sure of his value in PPR.....which my league is........anybody know of Matthews' history as a receiver out of the backfeild.

Awesome value there! My draft is Sat and I am targeting him at the 4-5 turn in a 10 teamer. Getting Tolbert too is a must IMHO. Only hesitation for me is that I'm not sure of his value in PPR.....which my league is........anybody know of Matthews' history as a receiver out of the backfeild.

Personally I'm not sure but one of the guys in my league mentioned he would catch a lot of passes.

Personally I'm not sure but one of the guys in my league mentioned he would catch a lot of passes.

Well.....Well.....Well "one of the guys in your league" That's good enough for me to pull the trigger....

29 catches I believe in 12 games last year, averages out to 39 catches/season. Pretty solid.

He has the ability, the question is will Tolbert get the 3rd down work? I think he may at the early part of the season but I'm thinking the reigns will be given to Mathews at some point. I'd count on about 35 catches if healthy this year.

I like him alot for a 5th/6th round pick, that seems like a good upside pick. The only problem is you have to jump on Tolbert earlier than you would normally want too, 7th-8th to be sure to get the Sundog ground game locked up.

I don't like just getting one and possibly wasting that pick, and to get both you end up using 2 mid round picks. I have only done this on one team this year (in the other league I tried this in he went in the 8th and I had him quequed up for the 9th which is where I came up with 7th/8th value).

The upside is so huge it is probably worth it but I think I would rather grab 2 of the Wells/Lynch/F.Jackson combo since they are essentially locked in at #1RB. If Tolbert came cheaper it would be a sweet deal. I think I would tie this to my #1RB on my roster, if it was a riskier #1RB like Foster/Cj2k with injury/holdout issue I might pass, but if it is a Peterson/Rice/Mendenhall then I would be more ok using him as my #2/3.

Good pick. He cant do any worse than last year. Hopefully he can channel his inner LT

Check out my newest article for Can of Corn Sports: Preseason Player Updates........Own Your Dumb Friends at Fake Football

http://can-of-corn.com/2011/09/02/the-know-it-all-preseason-updates/

Kyle Stafford

@KStafford32

I'm a Tolbert guy. 10+ TD's from a guy you can get in the 7th round? Please!

If both guys stay healthy, I think they split the rushing yardage fairly equally with the majority of the TD's going to Tolbert, and Matthews getting more receiving yardage.

People thinking a Tolbert, who has the upside of LeRon McClain (lol), is going to split carries with a back who is much, much more talented, who the team invested a first round pick in, who the team is paying a fair share of money to are absolutely smoking some beautiful flowers.

It's amazing that a rookie goes in the second last year in an identical situation, has a productive but injury riddled year, showed glimpses of why he was drafted so high, and is now going in the 4th-6th... when his main competition for carries is a talented fullback.

Even if he only gets 250 carries @ 4.5 ypc 1050 yards, 11 td. 35 reception 200 yards 1 td.... that's fairly reasonable right... Those are RB2 numbers in ppr... And I honestly see that as a floor for him.

I'll certainly take 250 carries on a good team with favorable schedule anyday out of my 4-7th round pick!!

Thanks to all of you that passed on him, you will regret it for sure

I'll certainly take 250 carries on a good team with favorable schedule anyday out of my 4-7th round pick!!

Thanks to all of you that passed on him, you will regret it for sure

250 carries? I dont think so

Where do you get 11 tds when he isnt even the goaline back?

I never said 11 TD, that is too high. He had 7 last year and wasn't the goal-line back?

He only played 5 full games and in those 5 games averaged 18 carries (250 carries is only 16 per game) so I wouldn't say 250 is out of line. Especially since they will be up early and melt the clock running the ball with Mathews.

Do what, break one against a bad second string d in preseason?

I love playing fantasy football against guys like you. :headbanger: