Sign in to follow this  
nearbyatom

Steve Smith relevant again?

Cam Newton had a huge game. Steve Smith benefited. I had him on my bench cuz I thought Cam Newton, Rookie, Game 1, it's going to be bad. I was wrong. So the question is....is Steve Smith a relevant WR again?

I have Brandon Lloyd, Reggie Wayne, and DeSean Jackson too. I was thinking of putting Ryan Grant on the bench and starting Steve Smith. Good idea? or Bad?

This is for Week 2 BTW

Looks good thus far but I wouldnt hang my hat on the Panthers passing game just yet. I suspect it will up and down worse than the Asian stock market. Smith can be started as a Wr3 or whatever on your team but dont expect consistent WR1 numbers. It was a promising start but lets see what happens in 5-6 weeks and revisit this. Honestly, Id bench Grant - hes a bum and Green bay throws all the time. Kuhn/Starks will steal TDs too.

Go with Smith over Grant for now....

Cam Newton had a huge game. Steve Smith benefited. I had him on my bench cuz I thought Cam Newton, Rookie, Game 1, it's going to be bad. I was wrong. So the question is....is Steve Smith a relevant WR again?

I have Brandon Lloyd, Reggie Wayne, and DeSean Jackson too. I was thinking of putting Ryan Grant on the bench and starting Steve Smith. Good idea? or Bad?

This is for Week 2 BTW

I think so. I've been saying all summer that I couldn't believe how low his ADP was. We're talking about a guy who, when healthy and when he's had a marginally effective QB, he's one of the very best WRs in the NFL. It wasn't that long ago that Steve Smith was a late 1st, early 2nd round consideration.

I didn't know Cam Newton would be THAT good, and he won't put up those numbers against the Packers defense, or any other defense that doesn't stack the box, but cut Smith's numbers in HALF and you're still talking WR1 production.

I wouldn't start Smith over a good RB2, but I don't consider Ryan Grant a "good" RB2.

No he isn't. I have him in both leagues and started Amendola and AJ Green over him, so he went off. I will start him in both leagues this week and he will do nothing. Week 1 had absolutely nothing to do with Cam Newton and Steve Smith and 100% everything to do with me. :doh:

I think so. I've been saying all summer that I couldn't believe how low his ADP was. We're talking about a guy who, when healthy and when he's had a marginally effective QB, he's one of the very best WRs in the NFL. It wasn't that long ago that Steve Smith was a late 1st, early 2nd round consideration.

I didn't know Cam Newton would be THAT good, and he won't put up those numbers against the Packers defense, or any other defense that doesn't stack the box, but cut Smith's numbers in HALF and you're still talking WR1 production.

I wouldn't start Smith over a good RB2, but I don't consider Ryan Grant a "good" RB2.

Cam wasn't THAT good. Yes his numbers show otherwise, but the first 70-yard TD strike to Smith was a blown coverage by Adrian Wilson. The rest of the game the Cards stacked the box, 8-9 at a time and left all WRs in single coverage daring Cam to beat them while they stuffed DeAngelo, which is precisely what happened. Cam was also bailed out a lot by terrific catches that were adjusted to his bad passes. The stars were aligned for him this week, but obviously the Cards had the right game plan when Cam finally threw a pick and they won the game.

No he isn't. I have him in both leagues and started Amendola and AJ Green over him, so he went off. I will start him in both leagues this week and he will do nothing. Week 1 had absolutely nothing to do with Cam Newton and Steve Smith and 100% everything to do with me. :doh:

I disagree. It was because I started Dez Bryant and A.J. Green over Steve Smith that he went off. I agree that he will do nothing this week, however, as I have moved him into my starting lineup.

Cam wasn't THAT good. Yes his numbers show otherwise, but the first 70-yard TD strike to Smith was a blown coverage by Adrian Wilson. The rest of the game the Cards stacked the box, 8-9 at a time and left all WRs in single coverage daring Cam to beat them while they stuffed DeAngelo, which is precisely what happened. Cam was also bailed out a lot by terrific catches that were adjusted to his bad passes. The stars were aligned for him this week, but obviously the Cards had the right game plan when Cam finally threw a pick and they won the game.

Yes, as I mentioned, the Cards stacked the box. This won't happen every week. No one should expect 400 yards from Cam Newton the rest of the season. HOWEVER, if you watched this game and it sounds like you did, Newton put together some impressive drives with a few very impressive passes for a rookie. Yes, clearly, the first Smith TD was a blown coverage. But blown coverages happen several times a game. QBs don't always see it. Especially rookie QBs. Give credit where credit is due. Newton was impressive. He stood strong in the pocket, used some effective pump fakes, was surprisingly accurate on several throws, threw to 9 different receivers...and wait till he actually starts running with the ball. That's going to open up a lot more things.

No, he's not Tom Brady, but nor is he Jimmy Clausen.

I hope SS is relevant again! I have a feeling going forward im going to struggle either inserting him or S. Holmes in my lineup!

A healthy motivated Steve Smith can be as good as anyone. He seems to be both of these things right now. And Cam is a hell of a lot better than the trash that Carolina has been throwing out there the last 4 or 5 years. I am not expecting WR1 numbers but to dismiss this 1 game as a fluke is prob a mistake.

The SSmiff boombustercoaster has taken off from the station. Enjoy the ride.

I fully expect several laptop punts of frustration from this guy...

Steve Smith Carolina week 2 - 6 for 156. He's all the way back to a top 5 WR now that he has a good QB.

Guy in my league has Britt, Steve Smith, Colston and Mike Williams (TB).

Not too mention Hernandez @ TE.

I think its his year this time in our league.