Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

I used a different multi-league strategy this year

Last year I made it a point not to duplicate players from one leaue to another. The thinking was that I would diversify my portfolio and find some of the league's solid performing players on my rosters.

I adjusted that a bit this year, and with my early picks mixed things up (Brady, Brees, Vick in 3 diff leagues, then took some of the top wrs and rbs in the first few rounds) but then I tried to target the same players in the latter rounds who I felt might outproduce their draft value. I found myself with Fred Jackson in a couple leagues, as well as Stevie Johnson, Amendola, Felix Jones, Benson, etc.

So far the results seem to be working, but I'm curious if you guys in multiple leagues try and avoid similar players, end up getting the same guy in a bunch of leagues or really don't pay that much attention to it? It seems to me that if you found a couple of those breakout players and had them on multiple rosters you might find a year every now and then where you win multiple leagues.

Thoughts?

each league is different so knowingly picking or not picking someone because he is on your 'other' fake team is dumb. Totally assinine

Pick the best players -that's my strategy lol

I would say that I do NOT intentionally try to avoid the same player on multiple teams, and as a result, I tend to end up with multiples. That is only natural, since I (or any similar drafter) will have players that I target (or avoid). Doesn't mean it works; Mike Williams TB and Santonio Holmes are multiples I have who suck. Brees has worked out though.

Same holds for mid-season pickups -- I grabbed your homeboy Jackie Battle in two leagues last week before the hype machine hit the masses.

Trying to "diversify your portfolio" as you describe seems like a recipe for mediocrity. :dunno:

I just take the best player available in all my leagues. Now if I am debating between two players that I have ranked very similar, I might defer to the guy I don't have in another league. But this is pretty rare. Unfortunately I had Jamaal Charles and Danny Amendola on 2 of my teams. But I also have Jason Witten and D'Qwell Jackson (IDP leagues) on two of my teams also. I also currently am being offered Cam Newton in a trade and I already own Newton in my other main league. But I try not to let this affect my decision making. If I really like a player, I will take him across all my leagues.

I just take the best player available in all my leagues.

+1 until the later rounds where I make my sleeper moves. Some stay in a coma, others wake up a la Jimmy Graham. Always go best available relative to ADP and generally come out with similar teams. As for ww moves, I generally try to make the same moves across leagues... digging for gold is sometimes a quantity before quality thing.

I'm in three leagues(2 with friends and 1 with work) and that have pretty similar teams and because I was targeting the same people. I even traded in a league to get Dez Bryant who I have in the other 2 leagues. I hate going against people that I'm playing because you cant be happy when they score and the more leagues that you are in the more you are going to be going against someone you have.

+1 until the later rounds where I make my sleeper moves. Some stay in a coma, others wake up a la Jimmy Graham. Always go best available relative to ADP and generally come out with similar teams. As for ww moves, I generally try to make the same moves across leagues... digging for gold is sometimes a quantity before quality thing.

I do the same thing. I try to find value in my players. Sometimes it gets me in trouble (Chris Johnson at #7 this year). In my 14 teamer I grabbed Ryan Mathews in the 6th which has worked out well. Also Romo fell pretty far and grabbed him after Big Ben and Schaub were taken. This strategy usually makes my team at the very least competitive.

In my other league (10-teamer) I grabbed Steve Smith and Willis McGahee extremely late. Combined with Aaron Rodgers, Adrian Peterson, and Mike Wallace, my team is extremely competitive this year.

I tried to mix up my teams a bit this year and simply based on first round spot ended up with different mixes in the top 4 rounds. After that I was targeting Lynch/FJackson/Wells in the 5th-7th, Roethlisberger in the 7th-8th and Amendola/Moore in 9th and later. I did a lot of RB/RB in most drafts and have a plethora of RB's on all my teams.

I have 2 teams tearing it up at 4-1, 3 teams at 3-2, 3 teams at 2-3 but with some hope due to divisional records and 2 teams stinking up the joint at 1-4. Its funny but one of my teams with the worst record actually had the highest scoring points of all my teams :doh:. Still a bit early to guess but I think I will make the playoffs in 4 leagues, but I have 8 out of 10 teams that are still competitive. Of the two likely out of it: one the record is 1-4 and my points are too low for a realistic run and the other I am 2-3 but the other two guys are 4-1 and 5-0 with their teams being the high scorers in the league.

Amendola getting hurt has bad news I play mostly PPR and was counting on him, and I did not jump on the Cam Newton train fast enough because I figured Roethlisberger, Freeman, Fitzpatrick did me fine for most my teams (Roethlisberger in particular has been killing me, I finally benched him in all leagues this week :o ). I think I have to jump into the Tebow sweepstakes this week.

I am struggling a bit on most my teams at WR as I have a lot of Boldin, Amendola, Moore, Marshal, Bowe type WR corps. I did mostly RB/RB this year with a couple RB/WR teams too. Moore has been more inconsistent than I had hoped and I was really counting on Amendola to be my #2WR in 6 leagues.

LESSONS LEARNED:

Having a more evenly distributed team in the first 4 rounds would have helped me, I have a bunch of teams loaded at RB that are mediocre at WR/QB. I seem to be fairly decent at picking up undervalued RB's in the middle rounds and not so good at picking the right QB/WR's late. This could be due to simple volume though, most my teams have 5 or more RB's on the roster, with 2QB, and 3-4WR's.