Sign in to follow this  
scherber830

General Trade Ethics Question

This isn't a question regarding specific players, but I was wondering people's opinion of the following scenario that I've seen happen:

Owner A offers Owner B a trade on a Thursday, a pretty equal trade.

Owner B does not respond to trade prior to Sunday's games.

During Sunday's games, the player Owner A was hoping to acquire in the trade gets seriously injured (for argument's sake, let's say torn ACL or some other sort of season-ending injury).

Owner B, seeing that his player is done, accepts the trade and sends his injured player to Owner A in return for uninjured player.

Who is in the wrong here?

Is it Owner A's responsibility to cancel the trade when it is clear that Owner B is not going to accept or decline prior to Sunday? Or is this a total Bush League move by Owner B?

Do you guys have by laws in your leagues for this type of thing?

This isn't a question regarding specific players, but I was wondering people's opinion of the following scenario that I've seen happen:

During Sunday's games, the player Owner A was hoping to acquire in the trade gets seriously injured (for argument's sake, let's say torn ACL or some other sort of season-ending injury).

Owner B, seeing that his player is done, accepts the trade and sends his injured player to Owner A in return for uninjured player.

Is it Owner A's responsibility to cancel the trade when it is clear that Owner B is not going to accept or decline prior to Sunday? Or is this a total Bush League move by Owner B?

Yep should be a time limit on a trade, the commish shouldnt let it go through if it was accepted after injury

Owner B is a d'bag for making the move

Owner A is an idiot for keeping the trade alive during games (both are actually taking a risk)

It would be better to have a rule for that purpose to get rid of ambiguities, but this is in the "punch in the face in front of the wife and kids" type of situation.

I cancel all of my trade offers 15 minutes before gametime every Sunday. The scenario you presented is exactly why. I check status updates, make sure my lineups are correct and cancel all trades.

CBS won't let trades be accepted during the play-period.

Say what you want about MFL and its features, CBS has it going on. For the price, it had better !

CBS won't let trades be accepted during the play-period.

This isn't true. Last year we had an uproar in our league because 2 teams made a trade in between the Thursday night game and the rest of the weekend and the Commish allowed it.

I don´t think you should have to go through and cancel all your offers. It should be a league rule that no trades made during that time count...unless both people still want it.

he never said there wasn't a time limit on trades, this one was still up during games. It's their own fault for leaving a trade offer up during a game.

Exactly.

Why would someone leave a trade open during play? If your trading opponent hasn't accepted the offer prior to a game, then the only freaking way he's going to accept is if shiot hits the fan on a player involved that helps his side of the equation 100%.

NEVER leave a trade open ... but to answer your question, this trade goes through ... and the guy learns a sad sad valuable hard lesson.

Exactly.

Why would someone leave a trade open during play? If your trading opponent hasn't accepted the offer prior to a game, then the only freaking way he's going to accept is if shiot hits the fan on a player involved that helps his side of the equation 100%.

NEVER leave a trade open ... but to answer your question, this trade goes through ... and the guy learns a sad sad valuable hard lesson.

:thumbsup:

Here is an example from one league (one that I commish):

Trade offers through the website are valid offers until accepted or revoked. YOU are responsible for revoking any open trade offers that you have made. I highly recommend that owners first negotiate OUTSIDE the website, and to use the website only to consummate the official trades. Telephone numbers, preferred call times and e-mail addresses are provided for that purpose. I also recommend that owners withdraw any unaccepted trade offers at least 48 hours before the next weekend’s games are to begin.

I've always said that well-written bylaws can avoid about 80-90% of the league management problems before they occur.

If this offer was made to me and a player got injured, I would not accept it based on principle and ethics. However, if the trade was accepted by someone else, I would not complain or vote against the trade. If there are no rules in place, it is the owners responsibility to cancel/rescind the trade. That is why when I offer a trade, I will pull it back within three or four days. A player could be injured during the week of practice also.