Sign in to follow this  
Young_Grasshopper

MJD - Hall of Fame Someday?

I'm thinking no, but I'm curious what others say. MJD's never played on a great team and has been very productive overall.

Of current RBs, I think the future hall of famers will be (no particular order):

CJ2K

Tomlinson (this is pretty much a lock)

Matt Forte

... maybe Roy Helu :ninja:

Very good players who won't have a productive enough career to go HOF, again, just speculation:

LeSean McCoy

Ray Rice

Arian Foster (sadly, I think he'll burn out too quickly)

DeMarco Murray

CJ2K

Tomlinson

Matt Forte

Roy Helu

LeSean McCoy

Ray Rice

Arian Foster

DeMarco Murray

yeah, that's pretty much the deal - LT starts and ends your list for HOF.

Obviously LT is a LOCK for the Hall of Fame. Adrian Peterson is the other RB in the league that seems potentially headed there. But like many of these other backs, he is only 26, and would need at least 4-5 more very good seasons probably. An injury could quickly derail that.

I think it's waaay too early on any of the others. MJD is only 26 years old. This is only his 3rd season as the full time starter. But if he keeps doing what he is doing, he might eventually have it shot. But it would take at least another 5-6 very strong years in my opinion. His 73 career TD's already rank him 73rd all-time.

Chris Johnson has the record year in 2009, but he also is only 26 years old, and this is only his 4th season in the league. Waaay too early on him.

Forte is similar to Johnson without the record season. 4th year in the league, 26 years old. Waaay too early.

Lesean McCoy is only 23, but he will now have two seasons better than maybe any of Forte's, and all but Johnson's career year.

Ray Rice, again, not even 25 years old. He does now have 3 straight tremendous seasons to his name.

Arian Foster is only 25, this is his 2nd exceptional season.

For ALL of these backs, it would come down to longevity. They are all tremendous backs right now, but to be a Hall of Famer, you need to submit 8-10 exceptional/very good seasons in all likelihood, maybe more. Most of these guys aren't even half way there in my opinion.

Obviously LT is a LOCK for the Hall of Fame. Adrian Peterson is the other RB in the league that seems potentially headed there. But like many of these other backs, he is only 26, and would need at least 4-5 more very good seasons probably. An injury could quickly derail that.

Agreed. I'll add that not only do you need the longevity and the good seasons, you need to be DA MAN at your position. Reference Curtis Martin, #4 overall in yardage I think and not in (albeit on his first ballot; he'll probably make it eventually).

My guess is that if you asked NFL people who the best RB in the NFL is, they would say Adrian Peterson and it wouldn't be close. And they would have answered the same way the past few years. If he keeps up the production another 5+ years, he'll probably make it.