Sign in to follow this  
BunnysBastatrds

Softball/Baseball Question

Daily trivia (NCAA): Runners on 2nd and 3rd, 2 outs. The batter strikes out, but strike 3 gets past the catcher. The runner from 3rd scores, and the runner from 2nd rounds 3rd and is tagged out at the plate. The batter made no attempt to run to 1st (just stood on the dirt), so the defense then throws to 1st and tags the base there. Does the run score?

If I remember correctly the play on the batter/runner is considered a force play and the run would not count because the batter/runner did not reach base safely.

If I remember correctly the play on the batter/runner is considered a force play and the run would not count because the batter/runner did not reach base safely.

I would think the above is the correct answer.

Then again, all I ever played was little league through Professional baseball. :dunno: (Indian's minor leagues in the mid-90's) Therefore, I have no freaking clue how rules have evolved.

The run never counts on a force play - no matter how crazy the scenario

The run never counts on a force play - no matter how crazy the scenario

Third out was tag out at third though. Force at 1st was the 4th out. Does that affect your opinion?

Does not have to be a force. If the catcher retrieved the ball and tagged the batter there is no run scored, even if the runner from 3rd touched home before the tag.

In the scenerio above, the run counts.

Third out was tag out at third though. Force at 1st was the 4th out. Does that affect your opinion?

Sorry, I missed that detail. The run counts in that case.

I am still inclined to believe the run does NOT count. Let's assume this, because it's the same play just a little different. :wacko:

Runners on 2nd and 3rd 2 outs. Batter hits a ball up the middle and both runners cross the plate. The batter breaks an ankle and the centerfielder fields the ball and makes the throw to first for the out. Neither run counts as the third out was a force at 1st.

Let's play it this way too - Runners at 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs. Batter hits the ball up the middle and the 2nd runner is gunned down at home for the 3rd out before the batter crosses first. I still believe the first "run" doesn't count because the batter didn't make it to first before the 3rd out was made.

Again, I am only using my memory so I may be wrong.....

Sorry, I missed that detail. The run counts in that case.

I get these questions on my Facebook feed from softball.com, so it's a softball question. And it's actually something of a trick question. Under NCAA and NFHS rules, no run scores due to a 'fourth out appeal'. Under ASA, the run counts. Not sure what the correct baseball ruling would be.

I get these questions on my Facebook feed from softball.com, so it's a softball question. And it's actually something of a trick question. Under NCAA and NFHS rules, no run scores due to a 'fourth out appeal'. Under ASA, the run counts. Not sure what the correct baseball ruling would be.

I'm not sure that's a valid appeal. I still have the run scoring since the 3rd out was already recorded. The catcher/coach must know the situation to avoid this mess.

State Champs, mofos.

On to Spring Hill Tennessee

Nice

Player bunts a ball that comes to rest just inside the inside corner of the batter's box ahead of the plate. Call?

Same ball, player kicks it as they are attempting to run to first. Call?

I assume for the first question, you are talking about that small area that is clearly in the "diamond" of the infield. If so, then it is a fair ball. Same thing if it were to land on the plate.

For the 2nd question, if the player intentionlly kicks it, then he is out for batters interference. If it is unintentional, the the ball is considered a foul and would be dead. I think that the general rule of thumb is that the batter is fine as long as he is in the box AND he does not do anything out of the ordinary.

I assume for the first question, you are talking about that small area that is clearly in the "diamond" of the infield. If so, then it is a fair ball. Same thing if it were to land on the plate.

For the 2nd question, if the player intentionlly kicks it, then he is out for batters interference. If it is unintentional, the the ball is considered a foul and would be dead. I think that the general rule of thumb is that the batter is fine as long as he is in the box AND he does not do anything out of the ordinary.

:thumbsup:

No intent on the kick. It's just an interesting little wrinkle in the rules to me that it's a fair ball until it contacts the batter - where normally the batter would be out - and that makes it a foul ball.

:thumbsup:

No intent on the kick. It's just an interesting little wrinkle in the rules to me that it's a fair ball until it contacts the batter - where normally the batter would be out - and that makes it a foul ball.

It's that damn geometry getting in the way. Diamonds and squares mixing together. It's anarchy!

It's that damn geometry getting in the way. Diamonds and squares mixing together. It's anarchy!

Cats and dogs, living together. Mass hysteria.