Sign in to follow this  
seh2000

Thoughts on Roster Size

We are a veteran 10 team, PPR/Flex redraft league. We have set number of players to draft at each position, but our draft takes a long time...so we are considering reducing the roster size...so I am wondering how many rounds are your draft and is there anything you'd recommend on reducing ours?

We currently draft: 2QB, 5RB, 5WR, 2TE, 2K & 3 DEF - so 19 rounds :unsure:

We did this to help eliminate some issues with waiver pickups by building larger rosters. We are pretty firm on keeping the "have to draft X number of players at each position"...but am all ears. And the Defense deal was scooping up 30 of the 32 to prevent the 'pick up the team with the best matchup each week.

Thanks in advance...

Fist of all I think it is stupid to force teams to carry x amount of players at a position. If you are strong at one position why not have more guys at another. Who cares if guys are playing matchups with defense? The way we limit abuse in one of my leagues is you have 6 ww moves and 1 IR move. I know this isn't popular either and I don't think it's great but it is an option. The best option is ti charge money for every pickup after 6. The best roster size is probably to have your bench either equal the amount of starters or have one less.

Not a big fan of limits either (reasons already mentioned).

Also, having a smaller bench actually rewards the guys that pay attention & do their homework.

We have a 5 player bench & the WW is used & abused every week (especially during bye weeks).

The guys that stay alert with injuries & PT changes, bye weeks, match-ups, etc.... always finish towards the top. We start 10 & have a small bench of 5.

QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1Flex/PK/DEF, 5 on the bench.

IMO - having a set amount per position would greatly effect my playing experience. Half the fun is drafting. The other half is having the freedom to make changes on the fly (w/o limitations).

we use free agent auction bidding to get guys off waivers. I can gauge their interest in opening up the roster, but if they don't want to but want to limit it, maybe just drop a RB, WR and a DEF...save us 30 picks and toss them into the bidding wars...?

:dunno:

Only limits should be starting lineup, not bench.

If you want to draft 6 rb's and only carry 2 WR's, so be it.

12 team league we limit it to 14 spots, 8 starters. That way there are at least a few people on the WW and keeps people playing the season out.

So you're starting 1 QB, 2 or 3 RBs, 2 or 3 WRs, 1 TE, 1 K and 1 DEF/ST each week? How many slots? IMO 8 starters should = 6 bench spots, or 15 rounds. That would leave plenty of talent on the wire to increase action throughout the season.

I run a 12-team standard scoring re-draft league. Count my vote in the one bench spot for every starter spot category.

We added a RB/WR/TE flex a few years ago and added 2 rounds the draft and thus 2 spots on the roster (9 starters- QB, RB1, RB2, WR1, WR2, Flex, TE, K, D/St and 18 player rosters). No limit on the number of each position you can carry.

Agree with some regarding thin WW, but we charge for each transaction ($5, $2 if player is injured) and have still seen WW pots in the $450-$500 range.

I wish our league had bigger rosters with no pickups. :music_guitarred:

No pickups? So guys like Victor Cruz just sit there in fantasy waste land? That's no fun.