Sign in to follow this  
Derrick

Overvalued RB's

Overvalued Running Backs

Fred Jackson – The Buffalo Bills have been steadily giving the ball to the former Rice running back over the past 3 seasons. But despite Jackson’s outstanding numbers last year he has some major concerns coming into 2012. Jackson is 31 years of age and running backs typically don’t produce well into their 30’s anymore. His backup, C.J. Spiller, played extremely well when Jackson went down and will most likely see an expanded role this year. I’m not trying to knock Jackson too much because he should still be the lead back, but Spiller will cut into his workload. Anyone thinking they are getting a steal in the late second or early third round shouldn’t hold their breath.

Frank Gore – It’s amazing the Gore is still only 29 years of age. The San Fran lead back piled up another nice year in 2011 with over 1,200 yards and eight touchdowns. Those are good NFL running back numbers, but in terms of fantasy football he wasn’t stellar. Gore had 9 games where he rushed for under 80 yards and if you take out a 5 game stretch where he rushed for four touchdowns and over 100 yards each game his season total would be cut in half. Kendall Hunter appears poised to cut into his numbers even more, so try to avoid Gore in the fourth round and see if he falls.

Cedric Benson – The recently signed back has skyrocketed up the draft boards and I don’t understand the hype. Green Bay was ranked 26th in rushing attempts last season and I don’t see them changing anytime soon with Aaron Rodgers at the helm. Not only that, they passed 60% of the time in the red zone and John Kuhn will get a good chunk of the goal line carries. I don’t see a whole lot of value in Benson, especially in the seventh round, where he is currently going.

Overvalued Running Backs

Fred Jackson – The Buffalo Bills have been steadily giving the ball to the former Rice running back over the past 3 seasons. But despite Jackson’s outstanding numbers last year he has some major concerns coming into 2012. Jackson is 31 years of age and running backs typically don’t produce well into their 30’s anymore. His backup, C.J. Spiller, played extremely well when Jackson went down and will most likely see an expanded role this year. I’m not trying to knock Jackson too much because he should still be the lead back, but Spiller will cut into his workload. Anyone thinking they are getting a steal in the late second or early third round shouldn’t hold their breath.

Frank Gore – It’s amazing the Gore is still only 29 years of age. The San Fran lead back piled up another nice year in 2011 with over 1,200 yards and eight touchdowns. Those are good NFL running back numbers, but in terms of fantasy football he wasn’t stellar. Gore had 9 games where he rushed for under 80 yards and if you take out a 5 game stretch where he rushed for four touchdowns and over 100 yards each game his season total would be cut in half. Kendall Hunter appears poised to cut into his numbers even more, so try to avoid Gore in the fourth round and see if he falls.

Cedric Benson – The recently signed back has skyrocketed up the draft boards and I don’t understand the hype. Green Bay was ranked 26th in rushing attempts last season and I don’t see them changing anytime soon with Aaron Rodgers at the helm. Not only that, they passed 60% of the time in the red zone and John Kuhn will get a good chunk of the goal line carries. I don’t see a whole lot of value in Benson, especially in the seventh round, where he is currently going.

Benson, as far as I'm concerned, is TBA. Gore is handcuffed by the lack of passing plays to the RB's by HB's offense.( Which NEEDS to be remedied!!!!!). I can't see Freddy having a bad year unless he gets injured.( You could say that about a metric shiit ton of RB's)

I think Benson is a decent rb3 pick. He will get most of the carries, unlike Grant last year. Just got done listening to the Packer post game, and last year Grant and Starks split the carries 50/50. And they are talking that it will be more of a 70/30 split, as Starks has fallen out of favor. Plus I dont think that Benson gets pulled @ the GL. So I am targeting him later as he has low rb2 potential, but living in WI I could see him going 5th rd, which is way too high. But that is Packer fans!

I've picked up Benson in the 10th round twice now. Hard to say any pick in the 10th round is overvalued. I'm not sure I follow the logic with him or Frank Gore. Benson is going late and Gore is being drafted as the 15th to 18th RB off the board from what I've seen. I've yet to see him drafted as anything more than a RB2, which is what his numbers suggest he is. That doesn't really make him overvalued.

Fred Jackson from Rice may be overvalued as he is likely delivering mail or pizza, but the one from Coe is probably going to be just fine.

I've picked up Benson in the 10th round twice now. Hard to say any pick in the 10th round is overvalued. I'm not sure I follow the logic with him or Frank Gore. Benson is going late and Gore is being drafted as the 15th to 18th RB off the board from what I've seen. I've yet to see him drafted as anything more than a RB2, which is what his numbers suggest he is. That doesn't really make him overvalued.

Fred Jackson from Rice may be overvalued as he is likely delivering mail or pizza, but the one from Coe is probably going to be just fine.

Jacobs will take away Gore's tds. Hunter will be getting touches as well. Plus Lamichael James is there. I don't want Frank Gore on my team. Let someone else have that headache.

Benson in the 10th is not bad but I've seen him go in the 7th so that's a stretch.

Cara, when where your drafts? I have Benson on my radar but am trying to gauge the cost and how it's gone up.