Sign in to follow this  
rallo

Picking in the 6 Slot in a 14 man league

So in the 6 slot i can almost guarantee getting a top 3 QB or Calvin Johnson. Does this mean that i have to go RB when we come back around? Should i snag one of the big 2 TEs on the way back if available? Also... in a large 14 man league is having a guaranteed QB a huge advantage?

Edit... Standard Scoring + 4pt passing TD + 2pt bonus if qb goes over 300yds or RB/WR goes over 100yds rushing or receiving.

No it doesnt mean you have to do anything knuckle head. You dont have to draft anyone. Why would you even think that you HAVE to draft a certain position in a certain round? Bpa.

No it doesnt mean you have to do anything knuckle head. You dont have to draft anyone. Why would you even think that you HAVE to draft a certain position in a certain round? Bpa.

I

J

ok... semantics... whould you RECOMMEND going RB in the second round as WR is deep... Or slight both and take a stud TE if they are there? :P

I would recommend taking the best player available. I am not going to be in your draft so i dont know who that is. If you want i can give you my cell number and i will be your personal fantasy stud hotline, only $50 for a draft. If your pot is worth more than that it would be money well spent.

Don't play in big money leagues if you have to ask forums for advice....

Seems like a pretty clear spot to select a RB to me though. The baseline production for RB's is going to be crazy low in a 14 teamer. Either way you slice it, you probably need a RB in one of your first two picks. And I hate the 2nd round RB's that will come back to you in round 2 (Peterson, SJax, ect.).

So in the 6 slot i can almost guarantee getting a top 3 QB or Calvin Johnson. Does this mean that i have to go RB when we come back around? Should i snag one of the big 2 TEs on the way back if available? Also... in a large 14 man league is having a guaranteed QB a huge advantage?

Edit... Standard Scoring + 4pt passing TD + 2pt bonus if qb goes over 300yds or RB/WR goes over 100yds rushing or receiving.

I would start by making a list of players that you feel are a sizable point advantage at each position.. QB (rodgers/Brees/Brady) RB (Mccoy/rice/foster. etc) wr Johnson TE Graham gronk

Add whoever you feel is similar.. then try to get two of them.

I would recommend taking the best player available. I am not going to be in your draft so i dont know who that is. If you want i can give you my cell number and i will be your personal fantasy stud hotline, only $50 for a draft. If your pot is worth more than that it would be money well spent.

ha... great advice... basically this was a feeler thread to see what other people were doing in a similar situation, but i appreciate your input and talent of stating the obvious :cheers:

I would start by making a list of players that you feel are a sizable point advantage at each position.. QB (rodgers/Brees/Brady) RB (Mccoy/rice/foster. etc) wr Johnson TE Graham gronk

Add whoever you feel is similar.. then try to get two of them.

This was along the lines of what i was thinking. A top 3 RB shouldn't fall to me... and i feel because of the size of the league it would be better to select one of the top 3 QBs that is left.

I like the idea of pairing graham or gronk if available... that would almost force my hand at RB the next round and ending up with a bradshaw/d. martin type player.. then a 2nd or 3rd tier WR coming back.

Haw many RBs/Wrs do you hae to start and is there a flex position?

2RB 2WR 1TE Flex (WR/TE)

This was along the lines of what i was thinking. A top 3 RB shouldn't fall to me... and i feel because of the size of the league it would be better to select one of the top 3 QBs that is left.

I like the idea of pairing graham or gronk if available... that would almost force my hand at RB the next round and ending up with a bradshaw/d. martin type player.. then a 2nd or 3rd tier WR coming back.

2RB 2WR 1TE Flex (WR/TE)

So 2 RBs, 3 WRs, that puts 42 WRs in play each week, if thier yardage bonus in the same as RBs (100 yards) the top tier WRs really seperate themselves from the second and third, but I only have 1 WR in that top tier, Megatron. That being said, if Brees or Rogers falls to me at 6 I take them, guarenteed 160 points, and then in round 2 and 3 I take a risk and go WR/WR to seperate myself at that position. Only other play for me woudl be if Gronk or Graham happen to fall to me in the 3rd then I would consider them. With the proliferation of 2 back sytems out there and only 24 starters in each week the RB postion is devalued IMHO

Now youre talking! Some players to discuss! Ok well if one of the top 4 QB are available in the first round, anyone of them will be the BPA unless Mcfadden is there. It gets really close between Mcfadden and Stafford as I like both. It all depends on your scoring. If either Graham or Gronk fall to you in the second they will also be the BPA at that point so I would take one of them. If neither fall to you you are looking at a WR or RB. I don't like any of the round 2 RB so I would prob be going WR at that point following it up with Bradshaw. Bradshaw has been falling in drafts though. I am not sure about a 14 teamer but he fell to me at 5.10. SJax fell all the way to 3.10 in my last draft where I took him. I would take SJax if he is still there in the third and you are really jonesing for a RB.

I almost think that if you could have the best QB/TE/WR group in the league and just rolled with decent RB like Shonn Greene, Mcgahee, Benson, D. Brown, Hillis, Wells, R. Williams... guys from that group, you would probably have the best chance at winning. No matter what you do there will be at least one position of weakness. Why not just make it your RB? After the first few bell cows all the RB are bunched up closer than people think. So in summary do you want to have one of the top QB, TE, and WR cores in the league with one weakness at RB? Or do you want to gamble with the RB positions and pass up a few options at WR that are VERY safe?

Now youre talking! Some players to discuss! Ok well if one of the top 4 QB are available in the first round, anyone of them will be the BPA unless Mcfadden is there. It gets really close between Mcfadden and Stafford as I like both. It all depends on your scoring. If either Graham or Gronk fall to you in the second they will also be the BPA at that point so I would take one of them. If neither fall to you you are looking at a WR or RB. I don't like any of the round 2 RB so I would prob be going WR at that point following it up with Bradshaw. Bradshaw has been falling in drafts though. I am not sure about a 14 teamer but he fell to me at 5.10. SJax fell all the way to 3.10 in my last draft where I took him. I would take SJax if he is still there in the third and you are really jonesing for a RB.

I almost think that if you could have the best QB/TE/WR group in the league and just rolled with decent RB like Shonn Greene, Mcgahee, Benson, D. Brown, Hillis, Wells, R. Williams... guys from that group, you would probably have the best chance at winning. No matter what you do there will be at least one position of weakness. Why not just make it your RB? After the first few bell cows all the RB are bunched up closer than people think. So in summary do you want to have one of the top QB, TE, and WR cores in the league with one weakness at RB? Or do you want to gamble with the RB positions and pass up a few options at WR that are VERY safe?

I like the idea of going QB/TE/WR... or QB/WR/WR if i have the balls to avoid RB. What you and megla suggest makes a lot of sense given the scoring (the bonus 2 points for going over 100 yards in either receiving or rushing). I think that bonus would be more likely achieved from grabbing two high tier 2 WRs than ANY of the tier 2 RBs from week to week... once again it would take balls to have a bradshaw/mcgahee/r. bush type backfield

thanks for the input :thumbsup:

Just for clarification, are the RBs getting 1 point per 10 rush and WR/TE 1 per 10 rec?

yes

1 per 25 yards passing

1 per 10 rushing

1 per 10 receiving

the bonus is what throws me off... how many RBs (after the first 3) are going to be putting up 100 yard games?

yes

1 per 25 yards passing

1 per 10 rushing

1 per 10 receiving

the bonus is what throws me off... how many RBs (after the first 3) are going to be putting up 100 yard games?

Who cares, its a max of 32 points for the year, I would not even factor it into my decision process.

Guys at the RB position I would target if I went QB/WR/WR or QB/WR/TE

Spiller

J Rogers

D Martin

R mathews- He should drop with the injury

Benson

Bush

Sproules

Who cares, its a max of 32 points for the year, I would not even factor it into my decision process.

Guys at the RB position I would target if I went QB/WR/WR or QB/WR/TE

Spiller

J Rogers

D Martin

R mathews- He should drop with the injury

Benson

Bush

Sproules

I would not go QB/WR/TE if you take a QB with the first pick and you get an elite WR with the second taking a TE in the third that isnt one of the elites would be a mistake. I would then try and get a RB..

I would add Donald Brown to the list he has put above, I believe he will be a very solid rb2 this season, if you check his numbers from last year he played very well when he was the featured back.

I would not go QB/WR/TE if you take a QB with the first pick and you get an elite WR with the second taking a TE in the third that isnt one of the elites would be a mistake. I would then try and get a RB..

I would add Donald Brown to the list he has put above, I believe he will be a very solid rb2 this season, if you check his numbers from last year he played very well when he was the featured back.

We have already established that taking a TE in third would be dependant on Gronk or Graham being there

2RB 2WR 1TE Flex (WR/TE)

Seems like kind of a wierd flex play they usally are RB/WR or RB/WR/TE but to exclude RB makes sense in a 14 teamer due to positional scarcity. I would argue because you can flex a TE it devalues that position somewhat and the elite TE's lose value. The advantage of a Graham/Gronk is they are crushing your opponent at one position by so much. With a TE flex your opponent can start two mediocre TE's and match your stud TE or worse, start a good WR and come out ahead on points.

I like RB/RB/QB this year and load up on WR prospects in the middle rounds. Being a 14 teamer makes it tougher having an elite QB should be a dramatic advantage week in and week out so I could see QB/RB/RB. I really do not like the #3-10WR prospects much as they seem fairly comparable to the WR's you will find in the 4th-6th rounds. If you do wait on QB or take a chance on an injury risk like Vick (who I feel is a steal in the third round) then you need to jump on a backup or your starter earlier simply due to be a 14 teamer. The QB's will most likely go faster than you think, and I can easily see a run on them in the third round developing.

All that said, in snake drafts its best player available and finding value where you can.

Seems like kind of a wierd flex play they usally are RB/WR or RB/WR/TE but to exclude RB makes sense in a 14 teamer due to positional scarcity. I would argue because you can flex a TE it devalues that position somewhat and the elite TE's lose value. The advantage of a Graham/Gronk is they are crushing your opponent at one position by so much. With a TE flex your opponent can start two mediocre TE's and match your stud TE or worse, start a good WR and come out ahead on points.

I like RB/RB/QB this year and load up on WR prospects in the middle rounds. Being a 14 teamer makes it tougher having an elite QB should be a dramatic advantage week in and week out so I could see QB/RB/RB. I really do not like the #3-10WR prospects much as they seem fairly comparable to the WR's you will find in the 4th-6th rounds. If you do wait on QB or take a chance on an injury risk like Vick (who I feel is a steal in the third round) then you need to jump on a backup or your starter earlier simply due to be a 14 teamer. The QB's will most likely go faster than you think, and I can easily see a run on them in the third round developing.

All that said, in snake drafts its best player available and finding value where you can.

You just proved the point of taking a te early (graham, gronk, gates in the fourth). If it takes 2 mediocre te to equal one stud te you are way ahead of the game. Plus mediocre te dont score many points. The seventh te is a very inconsistent player typically.

I would argue because you can flex a TE it devalues that position somewhat and the elite TE's lose value. The advantage of a Graham/Gronk is they are crushing your opponent at one position by so much. With a TE flex your opponent can start two mediocre TE's and match your stud TE or worse, start a good WR and come out ahead on points.

can.

Your logic is flawed in that it would not be 2 TEs vs my TE, it would be your #1 TE vs my #1 TE and your other TE vs my Flex WR, huge advantage for me

Picking 6th in a 14-league, I'd draft the best RB available. Elite RBs are rare enough nowadays, but even rarer with 14 owners. Take best WR in round 2 and best RB in round 3. Assuming no insane gems fell to me, that's probably how I'd draft. Especially since your QBs only get 4 points per TD anyway and the bonus ain't much. RBs and WRs are more likely to break 100 yards than a QB is to break 300.

Hope for QB Eli Manning and TE Pettigrew in rounds 5-8. They'll score slightly less than the elites at their positions, but not much less.

If you draft Calvin and then Graham, your RBs are going to complete and utter garbage.

Thanks for all the input guys. This is who i ended up with... i know RATSASS :banana:

QB

Tom Brady, Russell Wilson

RB

Steven Jackson, Doug Martin, Stevan Ridley, Kevin Smith, Ronnie Brown

WR

Roddy White, Stevie Johnson, Titus Young, Danny Amendola

TE

Jacob Tamme, Jared Cook

K

Garret Hartley

D

Dallas

I feel it went OK. Not great, but OK. Some of my targets just fell through... I missed out on Britt and Witten by a whisker, and i feel that would have put the exclamation point on this draft. News about MJD broke out just before the draft, so he went at the beginning of the second.