Sign in to follow this  
BarackOdrama

Should I sit Rodgers this week?

Rodgers has the Houston D (1) and Ben has the Titans (31).

I know you're not supposed to bench your studs but Rodgers had a couple of his worst games against stout defenses.

Don't bench your studs, don't think too much into it. A Rod was drafted with a high pick most likely, let him play.

I have the same situation but I can't bench Rodgers. If Sanchez was able to move the ball I expect Rodgers to do way better. I'm optimistic and I'm playing him.

This is a tough one, no doubt. Let's look at all the factors.

Aaron Rodgers

- Facing a top-10 passing defense.

Yes, but they have faced Rookie Jake Tannehill in his first ever start, Blaine Gabbert, Matt Hasselbeck (coming in off the bench for an injured Jake Locker), and Mark Sanchez in four of their five games. The one decent QB they've face was Peyton Manning, who put up 330 yds passing and 2 TD against 0 INT.

- Has lost his top running threat, which could make Packers D one-dimensional

Losing Benson definitely hurts the Packers, as Phillips can dial up his pass rush to challenge the Packer O-Line more, but this also means (from a fantasy standpoint) that more will be put on Rodgers shoulders. He might be scrambling for more yards or passing to come from behind. It may not be good for the Packers in terms of trying to win, but it doesn't necessarily hurt Rodgers from a fantasy perspective.

- Has been stymied two good passing defenses in Seattle and Chicago.

Rodgers has not been as good as he was a year ago thus far, but in the other three weeks, including week 1 against a top-5 passing defense in San Francisco, he was amongst the top-5 in fantasy QB points. The last time Rodgers faced a Wade Phillips defense, btw, he torched that team (Dallas) for 289 yds, 3 TD, and 41 yds rushing in a 45-7 beatdown. That was a dismal Cowboy team, however, and nothing like this year's Texans.

Ben Roethlisberger

- Facing a bottom-10 passing defense that gives up 279.6 yards per game

Roethlisberger feasted on the porous Oakland Raider defense, so the thought is he should do the same against the Titans. One big difference between Roethlisberger now vs. the first three games, though. Rashard Mendenhall provides a viable running threat that should balance the offense a bit. Tennessee is also a bottom-10 run defense, giving up over 140 yds per game on the ground.

- The last time Ben faced this team just last year, he tossed for 5 TD during the game.

A year ago, the Titans were an upstart team (going 3-1 under a revitalized Matt Hasselbeck), and Pittsburgh was 2-2 and needing a strong win to keep pace with their division. Pittsburgh is again 2-2 and needing a solid victory to establish themselves in a competitive AFC and AFC North Division, but the Titans don't look so good. They have struggled to run the ball effectively, and have been pretty porous on defense. Ben could have a monster game, but the Steelers could also stake an early lead, then try to ground and pound the Titans afterwards. Definitely a favorable matchup for Ben, though.

- Roethlisberger is on pace to set records for attempts, yds, and TD in a season.

Again, this goes back to he lack of a run game for the Steelers the first few weeks of the year. Roethlisberger may still set some personal and team records this year, but Tomlin likes balance so it may not be 'Big' Ben every week.

All that said, I think the numbers for these two guys will be pretty close. I don't think it's a definite "start Rodgers, because he's your stud," but I think you're safe starting him and not regretting it. Ben might score a few more points if he goes off, or he might score a couple less.. between these two, go with your gut. I, personally, would start Rodgers, because I think he's going to need a big game to keep the Packers in it.

It's a bit of a gamble, but I'd start Big Ben. I was actually considering starting him over Matt Ryan until I saw that the Falcons get to play the Raiders at home (an equally favorable - perhaps even better - match-up).

Would also start Rodgers, mostly for the reasons goyota mentions. Plus, I think Pitt is going to get up early and run the ball down Tenn's throat. Tempting to start Ben, but you can't bench Rodgers, as you know he's going to get at least 2 TD through the air, if not more (especially with no running game). Keep Ben on the bench...

mine: http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=409952