Sign in to follow this  
tecklc2112

Firestorm in my league...

Vote!  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Did the "selling" owners do anything wrong?

• Yes, they are threatening the integrity of the league.
    • No, it was wise keeper league franchise management on their part.

So, I play in a keeper league (up to 2 players) & this is the 1st season into being a 2 keeper league...Our keepers cost 1 round better than they were drafted the previous season (i.e. if Dem. Thomas was drafted in round 5 this season, he will cost a 4th rounder to keep next season).(can't keep the same player for more than 3 consecutive seasons).

Anyway, near the trade deadline, a couple of the teams that were falling out of playoff contention decided to sell some of their better players for valuable keepers. There was no cheating/collusion...They simply traded some "expensive keepers" for guys that show great potential in future years & can be kept for cheap.

Because of this, several league members are throwing fits claiming that "fire sales" should be banned from our keeper league. I'm on the other side of the argument that says: "this is a keeper league, it is smart for below average teams to sell talent at the deadline in order to acquire cheap, value keeper players to set themselves up for a great draft...Also, having the ability to "sell" at the deadline gives these non-playoff teams more incentive to stay active in the league 'til the end of the season.

So, to sum up...No rules were broken...No collusion/cheating took place...The selling teams still have competitive rosters for the remainder of the season. In fact, both of these "selling" teams were in the top 5 for team scores this past week(14 team league). I think if both teams in a trade believe they are improving their teams, it's no one else's business.If you ask me, the complainers are just bitter they didn't get in on some of the good deals & now are throwing tantrums.

What say you guys?

Seems like smart moves to me. Sounds like you have some crybaby owners if you ask me. Nobody is breaking any rules here.

Seems like smart moves to me. Sounds like you have some crybaby owners if you ask me. Nobody is breaking any rules here.

+1 to this.

If they don't like it this close to the playoffs, then they should vote to set the deadline earlier. It would be the same as trading draft picks, which our league allows.

This isn't a case of out of contention teams giving away their players for nothing. They're giving up players that are little use to them now to enhance their chances next year.

Tell the owners that are bitching to grow a pair.

So, I play in a keeper league (up to 2 players) & this is the 1st season into being a 2 keeper league...Our keepers cost 1 round better than they were drafted the previous season (i.e. if Dem. Thomas was drafted in round 5 this season, he will cost a 4th rounder to keep next season).(can't keep the same player for more than 3 consecutive seasons).

Anyway, near the trade deadline, a couple of the teams that were falling out of playoff contention decided to sell some of their better players for valuable keepers. There was no cheating/collusion...They simply traded some "expensive keepers" for guys that show great potential in future years & can be kept for cheap.

Because of this, several league members are throwing fits claiming that "fire sales" should be banned from our keeper league. I'm on the other side of the argument that says: "this is a keeper league, it is smart for below average teams to sell talent at the deadline in order to acquire cheap, value keeper players to set themselves up for a great draft...Also, having the ability to "sell" at the deadline gives these non-playoff teams more incentive to stay active in the league 'til the end of the season.

So, to sum up...No rules were broken...No collusion/cheating took place...The selling teams still have competitive rosters for the remainder of the season. In fact, both of these "selling" teams were in the top 5 for team scores this past week(14 team league). I think if both teams in a trade believe they are improving their teams, it's no one else's business.If you ask me, the complainers are just bitter they didn't get in on some of the good deals & now are throwing tantrums.

What say you guys?

I've had to deal with this BS every single year of the past ten in the keeper league I commish. I say the same thing to the people that ###### every time. If you think its unfair that team A is getting a great player, make a better offer to team B. If you think that Team B is getting too many picks, make a draft pick trade to Team A. If you don't want to get involved in the trading trading, then don't get involved period. This is a keeper league and as long as the fees are paid, the players can manage their team's any way they want.

One thing I've instituted though are that the trade deadline happens in week 10 (with our Victory Points scoring system it is almost impossible to be out of it at this point. Thus negating the 'fire-sale mentality' as, usually if a team is mathematically alive, they won't dump their team.) The other rule is that I require next year's fees from both parties in advance of approving a trade involving draft picks.

Sounds like you know the answer already anyways. Good luck

Even if you don't comment, please take a second to vote. I'd like to take the poll result back to my league. Thanks guys.

The answer is obviously #2. However you failed to mention the players which leads me to believe the trades were pretty lopsided (at least for the current year). What were the actual trades?

Trade #1

Team A gets Jordy Nelson, Owen Daniels, Green-Ellis & an injured MJD(none of these players have bargain keeper appeal based on where they were drafted in our league)

Team B gets Antonio Gates & McFadden (can be kept for a 12th round pick based on being drafted in the 14th round 2 years ago & then kept cheaply these last couple years...we were a 1 keeper league prior to this season)

Trade #2

Team A gets P. Manning & A.J. Green (not much keeper bargain value based on where they were drafted this season)

Team B gets C. Palmer (12th round keeper cost) & Dem. Thomas (11th round keeper cost...Amazing value for him obviously)

Keep in mind, we are a 14 team league, so these keeper bargains are extra good.

Trade #1

Team A gets Jordy Nelson, Owen Daniels, Green-Ellis & an injured MJD(none of these players have bargain keeper appeal based on where they were drafted in our league)

Team B gets Antonio Gates & McFadden (can be kept for a 12th round pick based on being drafted in the 14th round 2 years ago & then kept cheaply these last couple years...we were a 1 keeper league prior to this season)

Trade #2

Team A gets P. Manning & A.J. Green (not much keeper bargain value based on where they were drafted this season)

Team B gets C. Palmer (12th round keeper cost) & Dem. Thomas (11th round keeper cost...Amazing value for him obviously)

Keep in mind, we are a 14 team league, so these keeper bargains are extra good.

We used to be in your situation ... then put a rule that keepers must be drafted, therefore once he is traded he no longer can be kept.

If rules haven't been broken and/or collusion present, it's all good ...

In order to avoid this situation our rules state that there has to be a benefit to this year's roster for any trades. Plus our trade deadline is week 10 when most people still have some hope of making the post season. If you don't have anything in the rules stating benefit for this year and you've got a late trade deadline, then there's no basis to cry foul. Those trades both fall within the rules.

Can't vote since I post from my phone. But I agree with everyone else that no rules were broken & the trades should go through.

You never specified when the trade deadline was but to avoid this situation in future years, I'd move the trade deadline up so the playoff picture is less evident. All owners would be forced to balance the pros & cons for playing the current season & improving for future years.

I had a trade offered to me after week 2 in my keeper league. I was receiving Fitzgerald & DMC & trading away RGIII. Thing was, Fitzgerald couldn't be kept because he was a 1st rounder & our league doesn't allow 1st round keepers. DMC was in the last year of his 3-year keeper status so he couldn't be kept as well. I drafted RGIII in the 6th round & could be kept for the next 2 years.

At the time, the trade was very appealing for this season because I was receiving 2 good players for this season. The con was giving up a potential valuable keeper. I didn't accept the trade & glad I didn't. DMC ended up getting hurt like he always does & Fitzgerald's #'s deflated due to terrible quarterback play in Arizona. I also have a potential great keeper for the next two seasons in RGIII.

That's the risk/reward in these types of trades but they shouldn't be discouraged. It's what makes dynasty/keeper leagues very fun to play in as long as collusion isn't a factor.

Your league needs to set a trade deadline at week 9 or 10 when most teams are still going to have some shot at the playoffs. By allowing trades all the way up to the end of the season, you are just asking for this nonsense.