Sign in to follow this  
Gepetto

RGIII

His numbers in known passing situations. RGIII struggled all year in 3rd and long situations where he didn't have the benefit of throwing short or to wide open receivers off play action. I believe he has the ability to become a pocket passer - very intelligent, hard worker, strong arm. But he has never been asked to do it. If he is next year, he will struggle for awhile.

Most QBs struggle in 3rd and long situations, the league conversation rate is pretty low in those scenarios.

But I agree he would struggle in a pure passing offense, because you need to learn it. Luck took his lumps this year, RG3 didn't. But the problem is RG3 would just get injured in the pocket, just like Vick does.

Most QBs struggle in 3rd and long situations, the league conversation rate is pretty low in those scenarios.

But I agree he would struggle in a pure passing offense, because you need to learn it. Luck took his lumps this year, RG3 didn't. But the problem is RG3 would just get injured in the pocket, just like Vick does.

My point is that RGIII struggled relative to other QBs. He has great efficiency number because he is throwing completely safe passes the majority of the time. He has a very high percentage of his passes near the LOS. On his deep passes, he has a very high percentage that comes off PA. I don't say that as a knock on him - its what he was asked to do and it was effective. But anyone that believes he has already shown he is a great pocket passer based on his numbers in that offense will likely be surprised.

And I agree with you that he may get killed in the pocket as well. The Skins need to invest heavily in pass protection and drill into his head to run very selectively and throw the damn ball away when necessary. The guy isn't built to get hit a lot. He's obviously tough, but that's probably going to be a negative for his career longevity. If what we've seen from the Shanahans is any indication of what we can expect in the future, I'd bet we are watching a 30 for 30 on what his career could have been if it wasn't for the injuries. I think shanny expects to use him up and throw him away like one of his RBs. Explains why they spent a draft pick on cousins.

My point is that RGIII struggled relative to other QBs. He has great efficiency number because he is throwing completely safe passes the majority of the time. He has a very high percentage of his passes near the LOS. On his deep passes, he has a very high percentage that comes off PA. I don't say that as a knock on him - its what he was asked to do and it was effective. But anyone that believes he has already shown he is a great pocket passer based on his numbers in that offense will likely be surprised.

And I agree with you that he may get killed in the pocket as well. The Skins need to invest heavily in pass protection and drill into his head to run very selectively and throw the damn ball away when necessary. The guy isn't built to get hit a lot. He's obviously tough, but that's probably going to be a negative for his career longevity. If what we've seen from the Shanahans is any indication of what we can expect in the future, I'd bet we are watching a 30 for 30 on what his career could have been if it wasn't for the injuries. I think shanny expects to use him up and throw him away like one of his RBs. Explains why they spent a draft pick on cousins.

I think they expect to have RG3 for maybe 5-6 years, and hope to win an SB or 2 in that time before getting rid of him. His natural abilities are so high they can get away with the garbage offense they are running without him learning any more. After that probably they will use Cousins. I don't they think care about the draft picks too much, this year's class is said to be weak and they're willing to bite it next year too and then they're clear.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/12/griffins-knee-creates-more-concern-than-advertised/

Per a league source, there is much greater concern regarding Griffin’s knee than anyone connected to the Redskins or Griffin has publicly conceded.

Yes, he tore his LCL and his ACL. Yes, it won’t be easy to rehab both ligaments at the same time. Yes, they had to invade his healthy knee for a patellar tendon graft. And, yes, Griffin suffered a partial tear of his meniscus when tearing the ACL, a common consequence when the ACL is damaged.

All of those pieces of information have made their way to the media. But the entire result is a stew of concerns that has created a far more negative vibe in and around the Griffin camp than the pronouncements of optimism and quasi-guarantees that he’ll be good as new by September 2013.

Apart from the fact that there’s no way to know how the ACL will rehab, the biggest concern, as the source explained it, is the damage to Griffin’s cartilage. With the ACL in the right knee now torn twice in less than four years, Griffin has lost enough cartilage in his knee to raise concerns about how much remains and how long it will last. Eventually, Griffin could be dealing with bone-on-bone contact, and the chronic pain that goes along with it.