Sign in to follow this  
snatchem

Keeper question concerning Ray Rice

I have had Rice as a keeper since his rookie year... I just cant help from thinking there will be a major time share with the emergence of Peirce. We get 6 points for QB TD's. I am thinking of making a bold decission and thowing Rice back in. We keep 2, ppr, my choices are Rice, AJ Green, DMAC and Cam. Cam got really hot down the stretch and he seems like the only goal line rushing @QB that stays healthy. Depending on the off season and preseason games I might consider rolling the dice on DMAC, if they can get back into the run blocking scheme he flurished in. I know his injury history but man, he is a beast. As of now I had planned on keeping Rice and Green. I know its early but what do you guys think ?

Another concern i have about rice is the super bowl hang over and his best bud that was in his corner Ray Lewis is gone.

I have had Rice as a keeper since his rookie year... I just cant help from thinking there will be a major time share with the emergence of Peirce. We get 6 points for QB TD's. I am thinking of making a bold decission and thowing Rice back in. We keep 2, ppr, my choices are Rice, AJ Green, DMAC and Cam. Cam got really hot down the stretch and he seems like the only goal line rushing @QB that stays healthy. Depending on the off season and preseason games I might consider rolling the dice on DMAC, if they can get back into the run blocking scheme he flurished in. I know his injury history but man, he is a beast. As of now I had planned on keeping Rice and Green. I know its early but what do you guys think ?

I think you may be right to be concerned but Rice is still likely to be considered a very solid RB1 come summer drafts. I think the "market value" of Rice in terms of ADP is still going to be quite alot higher than Cam and DMC so this brings up the questions, when must you decide your keepers? and, can you make a trade?

Is there any chance you could trade Rice and DMC for a RB you would be more comfy with? How about Rice and Cam? It's not a great time to shop Rice because Pierce and touches last year are at the top of most minds but by the time drafts roll around and guys start thinking about the lack of RBs that can be counted on his value will solidify in the mid to later 1st IMO. Curious to hear others thoughts though.

Ya we can trade... I just dont have confidence in any of the RB's over a Rice/Cam/DMAC deal. Its all speculation and gambles. I like Doug Martin as a young up and coming that I could keep for years, if I did this as a RB for RB I would like a young guy. I have a hunch that DMAC will explode for a full season at some point, is it this year ? The fact that Cam runs in TD's too is something to think about. I am happy to have Green and I will keep him for years to come. I could try and trade Rice for a top notch WR and have 2 super studs at that position. There seems to be more RB's come out of no where as a stud in mid rounds than WR's. Getting 6 points for a QB has to be considered too, I have found in my league that if you dont have a stud QB you dont have much of a shot. Who do you think the top 5 RB's will be in ppr ? one note about Rice... he seems to stay healthy. But peirce looked just as good and a bit more explosive

Ya we can trade... I just dont have confidence in any of the RB's over a Rice/Cam/DMAC deal. Its all speculation and gambles. I like Doug Martin as a young up and coming that I could keep for years, if I did this as a RB for RB I would like a young guy. I have a hunch that DMAC will explode for a full season at some point, is it this year ? The fact that Cam runs in TD's too is something to think about. I am happy to have Green and I will keep him for years to come. I could try and trade Rice for a top notch WR and have 2 super studs at that position. There seems to be more RB's come out of no where as a stud in mid rounds than WR's. Getting 6 points for a QB has to be considered too, I have found in my league that if you dont have a stud QB you dont have much of a shot. Who do you think the top 5 RB's will be in ppr ? one note about Rice... he seems to stay healthy. But peirce looked just as good and a bit more explosive

How many teams in this league?

12 team ppr... I kept Rice and CJ last year. drafted Green in the 3rd.. traded CJ and Rivers for DMAC and Cam midseason

12 team ppr... I kept Rice and CJ last year. drafted Green in the 3rd.. traded CJ and Rivers for DMAC and Cam midseason

In a 12 team league I think QBs are devalued to a large extent especially with the emergence of some potentially useful QBs this year such as Luck, Wilson,and Kaepernick so to me Cam is not a keeper with your other options. At the RB position based purely on what we know right now I would put AP and Foster above Rice and I would explore a trade such as I listed above for either. Since it's a PPR league other RBs that could be on the same level as Rice when summer drafts roll around might be Martin, Spiller and McCoy. If you pick high next year and you have a good shot at getting one of the guys you toss back it might not be worth trading. If you pick later in the 1st round you lose nothing by trading one of the really great players you will be tossing back anyway for a slight upgrade.

Don't overthink it--keep Rice. DMac is too risky. Cam is not a top QB. AJ Green is awesome but his QB blows, and WRs aren't as valuable generally.

I would keep Rice, Green or Cam over DMAC.

DMAC has never played more than 13 games in a year and is starting his 6th season. He has only gained more than 1000 Rec/Rush yards once, in 2010. You do not want to gamble with your keepers.

I'd keep Rice & Green as well. I can understand keeping Cam over Rice but not DMC. The guy is made of glass & was outperformed by a FB last year. No thanks, IMO.

If you keep Cam, it almost forces you to take a RB with your 1st round choice. There's only a handful of workhorse RB's in the NFL & that number will continue to dwindle next year. Rice isn't one of those guys but his durability is huge & will continue to be a RB1 in PPR formats next season.

Plus you could probably re-acquire Cam in the 1st or 2nd round next season. Doubt Rice will make it back to you depending on your draft position. Just my $.02.

I think Rice, though uber-talented, had his workload purposely reduced last year to keep him fresh and healthy for the playoffs.

Last year, he had 8 games with less than 20 touches, disregard the last game of the year if you want. With the emergence of Pierce, that trend may continue. He was still a top 10 RB in most formats.

PPR's...he's probably a keeper. Other scoring systems...you might have a decision to make.

I would probably wait for the pre-season hype to start building for DMAC(which it will) and see if I could package him for someone more high end.

ya i guess i need to see how it all shakes out in the preseason... good point on Kap and luck. I imagine 3 or 4 QB's will be kept which will leave a decent one for my 1st pick in the 3rd rnd. Probably keep Rice, Green and come around a grab a stud QB in the 3rd. Its always nice to build around 1 top flight QB, RB and WR... at least that is my thought for this year. The past 4 years I have kept 2 RB's Rice and CJ.. then usually getting a WR then QB. Getting a QB in the 4th rd and grabbing a 2 and 3 WR after has always been risky. If you wiff on you #1 WR in the 3rd you are basically screwed at that position and that sucks in a ppr league. Any thoughts on trading Rice for another stud WR ? in that case I would have WR, WR, then draft 3 RB's in a row 3rd thru 5th. Grab a WR then go back to back with QB's in the 7th and 8th.. to play match ups or hope one blows up.. anyone ever do that ?

When do u have to decide on your keeper selections? Not sure if I read correctly but for each of your keepers, do you lose your 1st & 2nd round selections in the draft?

New OC Olson will play to McFadden's strength New OC Greg Olson confirmed that he will be highlighting Darren McFadden.

Whereas fired OC Greg Knapp asked McFadden to fit into his offense, Olson is going to scheme to his player's strengths. "What we've decided to do, as a staff, is see what Darren McFadden is comfortable doing," Olson said. "Let's try and make it more comfortable for Darren, because he's one of our premier players." That means a return to the power-running game that McFadden excelled in under Hue Jackson. He's set up for a bounce-back season as he enters the final year of his rookie contract. Source: San Jose Mercury News Feb 14 - 8:25 AM

Interesting food for thought but will this system keep McFadden healthy. Once again, DMC will be a high risk/high reward pick in 2013. Contract year also is something to think about as well.

Well I have been in ffb since 1996.... you have to take chances. I may swing for the fences and keep DMAC. I just think he has a higher ceiling then Rice... believe it or not.

Well I have been in ffb since 1996.... you have to take chances. I may swing for the fences and keep DMAC. I just think he has a higher ceiling then Rice... believe it or not.

McFadden always goes into every season as a really high ceiling guy. Speaking of swinging for the fences he reminds me of McGwire when I played Rotissire baseball back in the day. I would look at McGwire's HRs per at bat and dream of the possibility of him making it through a full season without getting hurt. Maybe DMAC needs to juice a bit? :lol:

Anyway, the ceiling this year could be a touch lower than it has been in the past in your PPR league, look at this.

http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2013/2/13/3987220/big-plans-for-darren-mcfadden-marcel-reece-in-oakland-raiders-new-offense

"........But while getting McFadden going is crucial, it is clear he is most excited about the dynamic possibilities Marcel Reece brings to the offense. He just positively beams about Reece as a versatile offensive weapon.

"He's got such a unique set of skills for a fullback. He's a college wide receiver. He'll present some matchup issues. I was pleasantly surprised in watching the tape to see that in a lot of the downhill lead plays where you need a fullback to go in there... I was excited about that to be honest with you. Also, again to see him get out of the backfield and to spread out in some of the one-back sets and empty sets and look at the matchups you can get with him was exciting as well. He does have tremendous speed. He has very good hands. He has loose hips. He can run some of those option, choice routes that are matchup nightmares for defensive players."

Another area Reece was underutilized last season was as a third down, short yardage back. Knapp miscast McFadden in that role and the offense stalled constantly because of it. That is a role Reece should be playing and Olson intends to use him that way."

Oakland now another of the many teams that see the ideal situation as being tandem RBs?

But you don't take chances with your first three draft choices or your keepers unless you have no better option.

thanks for your input... probably the safest move would be Rice and Green, being ppr.

Good move, especially in PPR.

some experts predict Cam to be the #2 QB this year... the thing that I like, is that I get 6 pts for QB TD's.. he runs in a lot around the goal line. Its all about cutting or trading studs before thier major decline.. LT, SA, ect. I know Rice is only 26 but man... Peirce just looks more explosive.

some experts predict Cam to be the #2 QB this year... the thing that I like, is that I get 6 pts for QB TD's.. he runs in a lot around the goal line. Its all about cutting or trading studs before thier major decline.. LT, SA, ect. I know Rice is only 26 but man... Peirce just looks more explosive.

I like Cam next year, but you should be able to get him pretty cheap. He went a little higher than he should have this year, so next year people are going to overcompensate and not take him as high as he should go. Why keep a guy when you can probably draft him much lower than he should go?

Ya my 1st pick will be the 4th in the 3rd round.. Cam might be there. Jeez I know its too early to tell, I may like what I see in Rice and DMAC in preseason and keep them both... or do something completely different and keep Cam and AJ Green. Thanks for your input guys