Sign in to follow this  
rallo

Waiver WR Scoop and Play (Week 8 Installment)

So... we've been having a great run over the past 3 weeks... this week looks like a toughy, and the law of averages says that it's about that time for a downer. I think that there are still a few trends to exploit for the week 8 installment. If you are reading this i'm guessing that you have missed out on the previous weeks' allen, boykin, douglas, Williams etc... don't fret, while i'm unsure that you could find the lasting benefits that these players could provide, perhaps there is a half-used Band-Aid that we can apply this week!... Let's stop the hemorrhage with week 8's Waiver WR Scoop and play!

Jeremy Kerley NYJ @CIN

This pick has me a little uneasy, as i'm a Stephen hill supporter, but it was hard to ignore how geno locked on kerley last week when the game was on the line. This week Jets travel to CIN to challenge the Bengals' much improved offense. On paper, the Bengals have been a fairly stout defense on the year, but when you dig a little deeper you will notice that the bengals have given up almost 1,200 yards and 6TDs to opposing WRs this year, which marks them as a decent matchup for the NYJ WRs. My only reservation about this matchup is that Kerley is short... 5'9" tall... as i'm normally not a fan of short WRs... however that fact that he leads the Jets in targets the last 3 weeks cannot be ignored. Kerley is only owned in 23% of yahoo leagues...

Last 3 WR2s against CIN

Durham 5rec 43yards

Woods 2rec 9yards

Dobson 2rec 45yards

Prediction

Kerley 5rec 83yards 1TD

Santana Moss WAS@ DEN

This should be a high scoring game, and if the red@#%#s (censored) are going to have any success I think that they will have to lean on some veteran leadership. Look at other games where they have had to play catch-up and you will notice that moss has been an integral part of the offense. We have week 2 where is was targeted 6 times in the 2nd half for 41 yards and a touchdown after being down big GB... then the lions game where he was targeted 9 times in a loss after being down big in the first half... look for more of the same this week and Carter will likely draw Garcon. Carter has shut down opposing WRs this year... All of this points to big games for the TE Reed and either Moss or hankerson, go with veteran leadership in this high scoring affair. Did I mention that DEN ranks dead last in passing yards allowed with and avg over 310 ypg??? Best of all, Moss is only owned in 12% of yahoo leagues, so don't be afraid to scoop and play!

Last 3 WR2s against DEN

Heyward-Bey 4rec 44yards 1TD

Blackmon 14rec 190 yards

Williams 4rec 151 yards 1TD

Prediction

Moss

7rec 90 yards 1TD

Kenny Stills NO vs Buf

Deep League Reach

Cole Beasley DAL @Det

Beasley has emerged as a viable option in this high-octane Cowboys passing game. (18 targets over the past 3 weeks) What option do they have other than to throw it 40+ times a game? The word is that Murray might be ready, but I doubt that the cowboys will give him a full workload, and randle certainly hasn't impressed, so it looks like the game will once again be placed on the golden arm of tony romo. It would appear that he likes his 'new' small shifty WR. Detroit ranks among the leagues worst in fantasy points given to opposing WRs... in fact, the give up almost 15 yards per catch to the tune of 1300+ yards and 7 touchdowns. Couple that with there explosive offense and Dallas' banged up D and we should have another game with an O/U of 55. Beasley should have no problem finding room against the Lions' rookie CB darius slay, who hasn't shown much of anything this year. In the end, it will come down to which matchup room wants to exploit more... witten vs LBs, or Beasley vs Slay. In PPR leagues, you could definitely do worse than Beasley this week... (like me starting amendola for instance... ) Beasley is only owned in 3% of yahoo leages... don't be afraid to scoop and play!

Jason Avant PHI vs NYG

What about riley cooper?!?! Michael Vick doesn't throw to riley cooper... even BEFORE he said the n-word. Fret not. Jason Avant is available and probably undervalued in the slug out between two crappy NFC East Teams. Don't believe me that Avant in undervalued? Avant had 5rec for 87yards and a TD in the last game that Vick played in its entirety. Enter the Giants, who at first glance haven't given up much to opposing WRs, but then you notice that they have given up 8TDs... tied for 6th worst in the NFL. The 6'1" Avant should have little problem outdueling 5'9" Trumaine McBride if the dinged up Corey Webster(groin) can't go. Look for Avant to get a couple redzone targets this week, as vick doesn't tend to utilize his TEs.

Last 3WR2s vs NYG

Simpson 3rec 32yards

Jeffery 2 rec 27yards

Avant 3rec 33yards (vick in 1st half)

Prediction

Avant 5rec 78yards 1TD

Hard Times Pick...

TJ Graham BUF@ NO

I will warn you ahead of time... this is a super deep league/deep roster/ no other options pick. You have a 2nd year guy who only has 43 total reception to his name... However, the last three weeks he has started to contribute a little more to this run-heavy Bills offense (3rd on the team in targets averaging a little over 4 a game... and in this time he has only had 3 targets that weren't completed). He is a speedy big play threat, who won't get you a lot of receptions, but could shake lose in the dome against this NO secondary who will have to guard the lead and concentrate on Johnson and Woods. I would bet that the Bills have a play or two designed just for him in the playbook to utilize his game-breaking speed on the synthetic turf. Once again, if you have better options, look elsewhere, but the Bills should have to play catchup, and this WR3 from buffalo sure can get down the field in a hurry. Best of all, Graham is owned in less than 1% of yahoo leagues... don't be afraid to scoop and play.

Prediction

Graham 3 rec 79 yards 0-1TDs

I currently have Kerley starting Sunday, considering Durham though...also starting beasely in another which im not too happy about, but there is potential. And its only one week. I like Kerley the best as long as he plays.

Moore or Stills could go off. I agree kerley has been undersung but just think he's do for a light game.

This is, as always, a great thread

Decent selections. In PPR I'm looking at Avery, M. Brown, Cotchery, D. Nelson types. You got a miracle flyer out of this bunch?

It may be just me, but in ppt I'd hang with Brown... If you are feeling ballsy I'd go Beasley or cotchery

I'm starting Durham over Nicks as my WR3 this week. After watching Dallas roll their coverage to DeSean Jackson last week, I think the same will hold true for Megatron, giving Durham some opportunities to score.

I'm predicting at least 10 targets.

weird... was about to include stills on this list until I saw graham would play... boo... what a game for stills