Sign in to follow this  
Phurfur

High school student gets frostbite during fire alarm

Has anyone ever gotten naked in one of Phurfur's threads? I don't wanna be the first. Should I put something on?

You didn't answer his question: "How many students have been killed in school fires?" You just sited three stories where students were killed in three fires that occurred 106 years ago, 99 years ago, and 56 years ago. In the context of the thread, its obvious that he believes that fire fatalities to students are very rare. Rarer than students who get shot by whackos. In the context of his post it could even be construed as a rhetorical question. But regardless, siting three fires, that occurred before the widespread use of fire detectors, sprinkler systems, and codes that require fire exits and building materials that are more flame resistant, not only doesn't answer his 1st question but it provides no useful information to answer his last question: "Maybe it's time to stop doing the mandatory fire drills and do more shooter drills?"

Fire deaths ARE very rare at schools these days ( http://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf/statistics/v8i1.pdf ) but one of the reasons they may be rare is that schools have fire drills. I believe some schools have drills on how to do lockdowns as well.

Do you think fire drills have something to do with it?

Yeah, that and modern electrical work.

I think the other factors (alarms, fire codes, sprinkler systems, etc.,) have a lot more to do with lowering fire deaths in schools but a once a year fire drill may teach a first or second grader how to react when a fire alarm goes off and could save a few lives.

Did not miss a thing.

Your question had no caveats on when these things were required to happen. If you don't like the response maybe you should pose your questions so as to get the exact response you are looking for. Otherwise, you leave yourself open to looking like you have no idea what you are asking.

You still haven't answered his question.

Nice dodge, Slick Willy.

You still haven't answered his question.

Nice dodge, Slick Willy.

I dodged nothing.

I answered the original question. The fact the answer wasn't popular with some, and another question was asked, does not mean I am required to search for another answer to satisfy those who didn't like the original answer.

I dodged nothing.

I answered the original question. The fact the answer wasn't popular with some, and another question was asked, does not mean I am required to search for another answer to satisfy those who didn't like the original answer.

You didn't his follow up question.