Sign in to follow this  
Phurfur

Students who failed the AIMS test protest to walk with their graduating class

TOLLESON, Ariz. - Walking across the stage and being handed your diploma with your fellow classmates by your side is the pay-off for four years of hard work in high school.

But every year hundreds of valley students miss graduation because they can't pass the AIMS test, a requirement to graduate.

Some students in Tolleson on Monday in the west valley say they represent about two dozen students who didn't pass the AIMS test. Some of them said they paid for caps and gowns and now they won't be able to wear them.

They held signs that read, "Let the seniors walk." Seniors at Sierra Linda High School are upset that while graduation is May 21, they will not be able to walk with their classmates because they didn't pass the math AIMS test.

"It is disappointing, because I know that I deserve it, and I know that I tried several times to do what I can possible to, you know, I wanted to make my family proud, and I feel I let them down, and let myself down," said Ashley Godinez.

They say they're not asking to receive a diploma, just to walk with their classmates.

"I am upset because I worked my butt off this year you know, but I did not pass my math aims, so all I'm asking this year is just to walk with my classmates, because this a once in a lifetime event, something I will not experience ever again," said Benito Aguilar.

But the Tolleson School District says its governing board's rule is clear: students who don't satisfy the requirements cannot be part of the graduation ceremony.

"That is no different than if they pass all their AIMS and not senior english, or a math class. They have not met all the requirements by the district and the State of Arizona, therefore, they are not able to graduate," said Karyn Eubanks with the Tolleson Union High School District.

The school district said it has sympathy for the students who failed the AIMS test and adds it hopes the students stay in school, get tutoring and stick with it so they can pass the AIMS test and walk across that stage to receive a diploma next year.

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/25558596/2014/05/19/students-who-failed-the-aims-test-unable-to-walk-with-their-graduating-class#ixzz32GNTEdkJ

you misspelled AIDS

I hope a bunch of kids failed it at my son's school, it will make the ceremony shorter this Thursday. :o

They failed. You don't get the diploma or get to pretend that you succeeded. Pretty simple.

I can't think of anything I care about less than this at this particular moment.

And yet you took the time to post..