Sign in to follow this  
phillybear

Official Offseason Sixers Thread 2015-16

If the Sixers do end up trading their way into the later stages of the 1st round, Terry Rozier PG Louisville and Justin Anderson SG Virginia are two players that catch my attention.

Tell me again how Spencer Hawes and ET are "good to great"? :lol:

Who said they were good to great?

Who said they were good to great?

I thought you were the guy who said the Sixers deal all their good to great young players, then rattled off ET and Hawes along with Jrue and MCW.

Could be wrong though.

I thought you were the guy who said the Sixers deal all their good to great young players, then rattled off ET and Hawes along with Jrue and MCW.

Could be wrong though.

I don't recall every saying hawes was great.

Also if I said good to great and then listed multiple players I may not have specified?

I think my bigger point overall was that they kept flipping high picks for more picks.. this is year 3 of the regime? Most regimes are lucky to get a 4th year. Kudos to the Sixers brass of they are going to give these guys the needed 7 plus years for this method to work, if it works but what fan base wants to wait that long for what amounts to a crapshoot?

Also if I said good to great and then listed multiple players I may not have specified?

I think my bigger point overall was that they kept flipping high picks for more picks.. this is year 3 of the regime? Most regimes are lucky to get a 4th year. Kudos to the Sixers brass of they are going to give these guys the needed 7 plus years for this method to work, if it works but what fan base wants to wait that long for what amounts to a crapshoot?

You did include ET and Hawes among the "good to great" young players the Sixers have flipped while suggesting they should've let that hot young core that won 34 games grow together. :doh:

Hinkie is on a 4-year deal. If the team doesn't show progress he will be gone.

You need to understand the final nail in the Sixers coffin was the disastrous Andrew Bynum trade. The Sixers gave up all their young talent, except Holliday, lots of picks, everything that must go sale....for a guy that hurt himself in rehab by bowling and never played for the team. The cupboards were bare. That team had no chance to win more than 25-30 games forever.

They are NOT flipping high picks for more picks. The ONLY time that happened was with MCW. I don't understand how one trade gives such a universal perspective. On the bright side, the Sixers have turned a roster of absolutely nothing into a bunch of picks and young talent. It's a daggone miracle, by any standard.

MCW would constantly drive to the hoop with his head down, was unable to connect with any big man for an easy dump off and slam, couldn't finish at the rim. His inability to hit an open jumper made floor spacing impossible. He played good defense and rebounded well for his position. It was a good trade for the Sixers.

Why is everybody in such a rush to mediocrity with quick patches and haphazard fixes, when if you do it the right way, you have a better chance at reaching your goals. 3rd year upcoming. If you can't see the stockpile of assets and the increased talent on the team, I don't know what to say. It's progress. One more year, and it will become clear to all.

I just wanted to mention that the Sixers most heated rivalry currently is with the news media.

Why is everybody in such a rush to mediocrity with quick patches and haphazard fixes, when if you do it the right way, you have a better chance at reaching your goals. 3rd year upcoming. If you can't see the stockpile of assets and the increased talent on the team, I don't know what to say. It's progress. One more year, and it will become clear to all.

NO drafted Davis and put a team of FA's and trades to make an up and coming team that is way ahead of the 76ers. But keep telling yourself the 6ers are doing it the right way as they continue to get lapped around the racetrack

NO drafted Davis and put a team of FA's and trades to make an up and coming team that is way ahead of the 76ers. But keep telling yourself the 6ers are doing it the right way as they continue to get lapped around the racetrack

Pelicans were an 8 seed and got their asses kicked in the first round.

NO traded two lottery picks for Jrue Holliday, traded and acquired a series of mediocre players to surround Davis with, and just fired their coach because I guess they are an up and coming team with rainbows and lollipops. Up and coming? A Davis is in Hell. His supporting cast is Ryan Anderson, Eric Gordon, and Tyreke Evans. He deserves better. Imagine if NO simply drafted and took Nerlens Noel. But Noel was hurt one year. Look down the road one year. Noel and Davis together could have been great, just mugging teams in the West. But, they traded him and another lottery pick for a quick fix in Holliday. Another first round pick for Asik. Oops. Three first round picks, gone. For what? Hasn't NO been in cap Hell the past few years too? They don't even have any draft picks this year. No cap room, no picks, and stuck in mediocrity. This is the purgatory that teams need to avoid, not revel in.

No offense to Pelicans fans. Good luck.

The most likely scenario for the draft, in what could be a record breaking session for trades made.

Minnesota takes Towns

LA Lakers take Okafor

Philadelphia takes Russell

Now, let's assume the Lakers think they are smart and like their delusional fans, think they can extort a first round pick from Philadelphia by swapping their picks. They don't realize the best player available philosophy and that Hinkie would rather slit his own throat than toss away a lottery pick. The Lakers take Russell at 2 and give Philly a call to force a trade. Mind you, it's in the Sixers best interest to not give Lakers any additional assets because they want them to suck next year since they own the Lakers 2016 pick, top 3 pick protected. Hinkie first tells Kupchack to fock himself. Then...

Minnesota takes Towns

LA Lakers take Russell

Philadelphia takes Okafor, trades Okafor to NY Knicks for #4 (Porzingis) and 2018 NYK first round pick

Philadelphia takes Porzingis, trades Porzingis to Orlando for #5 (Mudiay) and 2018 LALakers first round pick that Orlando owns

Philadelphia takes Mudiay, trades Mudiay to Sacramento for #6 (Hezonja) and some future first round pick

Philadelphia takes Hezonja

Denver takes Winslow

Detroit takes Cauley-Stein

Charlotte takes Stanley Johnson

Miami takes Kaminsky

Hinkie calls Kupchack back and tells him to go fock himself and that 2 of his next 3 first round picks are belong to us.

Now, the trade downs could stop at any time for Philadelphia. Or never even start by keeping Okafor, or simply selecting Porzingis. But once you piss off the The Hink, it can get ugly. They know what each team below them covets and could either keep the player or pry a much later in the future first round pick. Could they get a first round pick for a trade down of one spot? Philadelphia picked up a 2016 first round pick from Orlando last season by swapping #10 for #12, so yes, the value if fair. At some point, a team can so no. Fine. Sixers keep the pick. No worries.

I find these updates to be really cringeworthy, and I am a Sixers die hard. :doh:

The most likely scenario for the draft, in what could be a record breaking session for trades made.

Minnesota takes Towns

LA Lakers take Okafor

Philadelphia takes Russell

Now, let's assume the Lakers think they are smart and like their delusional fans, think they can extort a first round pick from Philadelphia by swapping their picks. They don't realize the best player available philosophy and that Hinkie would rather slit his own throat than toss away a lottery pick. The Lakers take Russell at 2 and give Philly a call to force a trade. Mind you, it's in the Sixers best interest to not give Lakers any additional assets because they want them to suck next year since they own the Lakers 2016 pick, top 3 pick protected. Hinkie first tells Kupchack to fock himself. Then...

Minnesota takes Towns

LA Lakers take Russell

Philadelphia takes Okafor, trades Okafor to NY Knicks for #4 (Porzingis) and 2018 NYK first round pick

Philadelphia takes Porzingis, trades Porzingis to Orlando for #5 (Mudiay) and 2018 LALakers first round pick that Orlando owns

Philadelphia takes Mudiay, trades Mudiay to Sacramento for #6 (Hezonja) and some future first round pick

Philadelphia takes Hezonja

Denver takes Winslow

Detroit takes Cauley-Stein

Charlotte takes Stanley Johnson

Miami takes Kaminsky

Hinkie calls Kupchack back and tells him to go fock himself and that 2 of his next 3 first round picks are belong to us.

Now, the trade downs could stop at any time for Philadelphia. Or never even start by keeping Okafor, or simply selecting Porzingis. But once you piss off the The Hink, it can get ugly. They know what each team below them covets and could either keep the player or pry a much later in the future first round pick. Could they get a first round pick for a trade down of one spot? Philadelphia picked up a 2016 first round pick from Orlando last season by swapping #10 for #12, so yes, the value if fair. At some point, a team can so no. Fine. Sixers keep the pick. No worries.

The worry is wasting draft capital on guys that don't pan out. I agree with you that they should take Porzingis over Russell.... If they could play him at the 3 with Noel and Embiid... In theory that would be a terrorizing front line...

The worry is wasting draft capital on guys that don't pan out. I agree with you that they should take Porzingis over Russell.... If they could play him at the 3 with Noel and Embiid... In theory that would be a terrorizing front line...

If the Sixers stand pat at #3, I'd be fine if they took either Russell or Porzingis. For Mudiay or Hezonja, you can trade down. If you take Okafor you have to trade immediately. I'm trying to simplify it for myself, as I'm driving myself insane pondering all the possibilities.

A terrorizing front line, plus you add in Saric to be the point forward in a year or two.

I'm going to predict six Hinkie trades tonight. He already controls 17% of all picks in the 2nd round, and frankly, that just isn't good enough.

Before I settle completely into a booze coma and spreadsheet delirium, if Russell goes #2, the wheels will start to spin in Hinkie's head, much faster than the hamster wheel powering this site on Sunday mornings. Hinkie will either dominate this draft, or look bad. Either way, I'm really looking forward to it.

Draft Porzingis. The Taller Dolph Lundgren. :banana: :banana: :banana:

I didn't really like the way the draft fell for the Sixers.

Trying to find some positives. Well, some people feel Okafor was the best player on the board at #3. I don't, but what can you do? It's not that I was all that high on Russell, as I had him ranked at #4 on my board at the end and that was probably too high. I just didn't see why people were so gungho over him. He's just another guard. But Okafor is an NBA ready player who can play along side Noel. Okafor can score in the half court offense, which the entire Sixers team was typically unable to do last season as they prefer to run the floor. When the offense gets bogged down, there are few options than jacking a three. Okafor changes that dynamic. Okafor can also pass effective out of the post, so that bodes well for cutters and spot up shooters. This is also foreboding since Okafor is not a Hinkie type of pick, taking the guy with the most potential, as that was clearly Porzingis. Hinkie went overly safe. Embiid hasn't had a set back in his recovery, but it seems that he could miss a portion of the season as a precaution. The biggest concern is that while Noel can play with either Embiid and Okafor, I don't think Embiid and Okafor can play together.

Hinkie didn't seem to do much with all the 2nd round picks. He didn't trade up into the last first, but the last was a bit thin. He didn't take best player available either. He traded a very early 2nd for a pair of 2nds that don't convey until 2020 and 2021. He took two stash bigs, which is fine. You can't add a million guys to the roster. He took two OK prospects at PF and SG in the 2nd, neither of which are all that good offensively, but can play some defense and are athletic. I actually like the UDFA signings over the 2nd round picks.

There is no reason to panic over the lack of guards. The projected starters will be Tony Wroten at PG and Hollis Thomas at SG. Both are adequate place holders until you find your star players of the future. Pierre Jackson and Jordan MacRae will get a chance to compete. I suppose the Sixers are looking in house to see if they have any talent at all at guard before spending some of the first round picks next year to improve the area. If Embiid is shut down, you aren't really trying to make the playoffs anyway.

I support the strategy of continuing to draft bigs if they are the best available talent. While the rest of the copycat league is foolishly thinking that small ball is all the rage, to maximize value, you take the undervalued bigs while the league competes over the dearth of guards. The way to beat a small lineup is to punish them with size.

I guess after so many drafts/trade deadlines with fireworks, it was stunning to see so little activity.

Same with the Celts... Rozier was a WTF type pick... RJ Hunter could be ok, at least has a bit of size... But now they have about 25 undersized guards on the team. Smart, Thomas, Pressey, Bradley, Turner, Rozier, Hunter....WTF....

I maintain that Okafor was by far the BPA and as no brainer as picks get at 3. The fit isn't good but a team coming off an 18-win season shouldn't be concerned with fit. Especially given Embiid's health.

Agreed.. I'd have taken Porzingis over Russell but not Okafor. Embiid is a bust. Hasn't played ball for long, bad work ethic, bad attitude and he hasn't played a minute yet... That pick is a write off.. They needed a front court scorer anyways...

Same with the Celts... Rozier was a WTF type pick... RJ Hunter could be ok, at least has a bit of size... But now they have about 25 undersized guards on the team. Smart, Thomas, Pressey, Bradley, Turner, Rozier, Hunter....WTF....

I thought Rozier would have been good fit for the Sixers, certainly not Boston. Well, you would think Boston is setting up something else, free agency/trade wise soon based on what they acquired in the draft.

And the fock is Charlotte thinking? They turned down 4 first round picks from Boston for #9? If any of them were a Brooklyn pick, that Charlotte front office should be shot then hung. And what is Ainge doing offering that much? For Kaminsky or Winslow?

I maintain that Okafor was by far the BPA and as no brainer as picks get at 3. The fit isn't good but a team coming off an 18-win season shouldn't be concerned with fit. Especially given Embiid's health.

I'm of the mindset that you fill holes in your lineup with free agency and trades. I have no qualms with Hinkie making trades. Draft best player available? Sure. That's what I prefer. I scream about it in the Seahawk draft threads all the time. Okafor comes with red flags, along with ability. It is vital that you make him buy in immediately. Of course he'd rather have gone to the Lakers and Knicks, as would any guy in his position that wants to put up numbers going towards his eventual second NBA contract. He may end up sharing minutes with both Noel and Embiid, and that's before Saric comes over. His attitude will drive his motivation and willingness to play defense. It is encouraging that supposedly he's gotten himself into better shape than when he was at Duke. I'll hope for the best.

I thought Rozier would have been good fit for the Sixers, certainly not Boston. Well, you would think Boston is setting up something else, free agency/trade wise soon based on what they acquired in the draft.

And the fock is Charlotte thinking? They turned down 4 first round picks from Boston for #9? If any of them were a Brooklyn pick, that Charlotte front office should be shot then hung. And what is Ainge doing offering that much? For Kaminsky or Winslow?

I'm on record liking Kaminsky and think he will be a decent starter in the league... I wasnt very high on Winslow, guy is basically Tony Allen, which i don't understand giving up all those assets for a guy like that. But neither of them are worth 4 first rounders... Okafor at the 3 would have been.

Agreed.. I'd have taken Porzingis over Russell but not Okafor. Embiid is a bust. Hasn't played ball for long, bad work ethic, bad attitude and he hasn't played a minute yet... That pick is a write off.. They needed a front court scorer anyways...

I wouldn't call Embiid a bust yet, as much as the Sixers are being very cautious. There has been no setback, Embiid feels no pain. It's just not fully healed. Given that Noel could have played his first year at the end of the season, and the Sixers kept him out, I think the Sixers are being overly cautious to make doubly sure Embiid is OK and doubly sure they don't pick up too many wins on this final year of "go out there and play hard and win, but just don't win that much".

If Embiid is held out all year, Okafor's trade value goes up. Probably not a coincidence.

What kind of bonehead would dare question our Lord and Savior Sam Hinkie for anything, including last week’s draft? What kind of meathead takes things at face value and doesn’t realize Sam is smarter than every other human being on this planet? Oh, that dummy is me. Who else can put an exclamation point at the end of the first day of free agency big news with a stunning trade where clearly he fleeced Sacramento.

!!Sauce Castillo!!

Sixers trade #47, #60 picks in 2015 draft and a future 2nd round pick

Sacramento trades Carl Landry, Jason Thompson, Nik Stauskas, a first round pick in either 2018 or 2019 (top ten protected and pending conveyance to Chicago), and gives up right to Sixers to swap first round picks in 2016 and 2017.

Dear NBA:

When your front office is in shambles and you have an owner trying to fire his new coach, and a rookie GM, and Sam Hinkie is calling you, do not, and I can’t stress this enough, DO NOT PICK UP THE PHONE. You will suffer the same fate as Drew Barrymore in Scream if you pick up the mother focking phone. Sam Hinkie is coming. And he’s a bad mother focker. He’s going to wrap his c0ck in barbed wire and jam it right up your poop hole. Sacramento, Sacramento, what have you done?

Remember when I said I was disappointed in how the Sixers used their 2nd round picks this year? Turns out, I think this deal was in place pre-draft. Hinkie does not trade down for Hezonja in the first round because he knows he has Stauskas in the pocket. He doesn’t force taking a guard at #3 and takes Okafor. He makes bizarre choices in the 2nd because that is who Sacramento wanted him to select for them.

Sixers turned their 5 second round picks this year and one future second round pick into:

Nik Stauskas

Carl Landry

Jason Thompson

JP Tokoto

Richaun Holmes

1 future first round pick from Sacramento

2 future second round picks from NY Knicks

Rights to swap first round picks next two seasons with Sacramento

Landry or Thompson could be waived. Maybe not. We will know next week. Thompson is a local kid, so he might stick, went to college at Rider. Look, I know what everybody is thinking. Stauskas didn’t play well last year. Fair enough. He started playing well around March and finished the season strong. His 3 point shooting went from 26% pre All star break to 42% post All star break. He lost a competition with Ben McLemore for starting SG in preseason and lost his confidence. He suffered through a coaching change mid season. He was playing 15 minutes a game. The Sixers will give him minutes and shooting instruction and build up his confidence. Brett Brown and his developmental staff have done wonders with the shooting ability of their players over the past year to two years, especially the young guys. The only two guys whose shooting did not improve during that time, Michael Carter Williams and KJ McDaniels, were traded. Coincidence?

In a rare candid moment that the Sixers just do not give up publicly, during the last NBA season, Brett Brown was giving an after game press conference, around the time MCW was traded. He let slip that the Sixers plan last season going into the draft was to take Wiggins and Stauskas at #3 and #10. Then Embiid got injured, the draft shifted for everybody, and the plan went sideways. There was talk the Sixers were looking to move up from #10 to take somebody with the Sacramento pick at #7 last season, including trading MCW straight up for the Kings pick. It is clear that the Sixers have liked Stauskas for a while and now they got him. Maybe it works out, maybe it doesn’t. Shame on Sacramento for giving up on a lottery pick after one season, but one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. There is a excellent chance he will be the starting SG for the Sixers this season.

The Sixers absorbed 15 million in salaries and pretty much the rest of the NBA is calling Sacramento stupid. For focks sake, the Sixers didn’t even have to give up Saric in the trade. Vlade, Vlade, Vlade, I’m just shaking my head. The owner must really want to win now badly if they did all that just to try to free up money to sign Rondo or Ellis or God knows what else.

The Sixers have acquired 6 lottery picks in the past 3 years, Nerlens Noel, Michael Carter Williams, Joel Embiid, Nik Stauskas, Dario Saric, Jahlil Okafor; they shipped out MCW for a highly probable upcoming lottery pick, but expect multiple lottery picks added next season. They have 4 first round picks next season most likely, the opportunity to swap with Sacramento on top of that. They have multiple shots at a top 3 lottery pick each of the next few seasons. Another first rounder from Sacramento coming up soon, and a hundred more second round picks. It’s stunning how many assets Hinkie has acquired so quickly.

If Houston remains in the hunt for Aldridge, the Sixers have talked with Houston about a salary dump involving Terrence Jones or Boris Diaw for considerations. Even after the Sacramento salary dump, the Sixers are still 20 million below the salary floor. They can eat a whole lot more bad money contracts and keep stockpiling draft picks.

I need an update, is the 20 year plan a 30 year plan now?

:lol: :lol:

It's a 5-year plan that is looking pretty bad right now in year 3. I do think Okafor was a steal at 3 - he will be an all star for many years. The guard situation ... woof. :doh:

It's a 5-year plan that is looking pretty bad right now in year 3. I do think Okafor was a steal at 3 - he will be an all star for many years. The guard situation ... woof. :doh:

Provided he isn't in jail.

And, unfortunately, the best player in the draft this year is another big man. So ... guards?

The good news is they are finally favored to win a game according to ESPN. The bad news is it is the only game for the rest of the year they are currently favored to win. So I guess there is actually a decent chance this team will finish with the worst record in league history, ruining my childhood, since I got to see so many of the 9-73 team's home games that year. As I grow older, that's a fond memory that I was a part of history. LOL.

And, unfortunately, the best player in the draft this year is another big man. So ... guards?

Ben Simmons is regarded right now as the best player in the draft and he's a PF. If the Sixers think he's a potential star they'd go ahead and draft him. By year's end there may be someone else. D'Angelo Russell wasn't regarded as a lottery pick last preseason.

Jamaal Murray right now looks like a player who's worthy of a Top 3-5 pick.

Provided he isn't in jail.

The good news is they are finally favored to win a game according to ESPN. The bad news is it is the only game for the rest of the year they are currently favored to win. So I guess there is actually a decent chance this team will finish with the worst record in league history, ruining my childhood, since I got to see so many of the 9-73 team's home games that year. As I grow older, that's a fond memory that I was a part of history. LOL.

Guards are easy to come by... IF you get a dominant frontcourt the rest will sort itself out

That said, Noel's upside is a defensive stopper. Likely the same w Embiid. Tough to develop guys in the NBA. Okafor looks like he will be a good low post scorer but is slow as molassas. They desperately need a wing scorer. Too bad Wiggins didn't pan out. He was the guy