Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - WR Tyler Lockett, Seahawks

After addressing their need for a dominant receiver with the Jimmy Graham trade, the Seahawks select a player that may be the best slot receiver in this draft (although he is not limited to inside work). Lockett stands only 5-9, but creates incredible separation and is not afraid to work the middle of the field. Lockett is a very good route-runner and will be able to hit more than a few big plays with Russell Wilson's ability to extend plays. Despite all his positives, Lockett is a late-round redraft prospect at best and profiles as a late second-round pick at best in rookie drafts.

After addressing their need for a dominant receiver with the Jimmy Graham trade, the Seahawks select a player that may be the best slot receiver in this draft (although he is not limited to inside work). Lockett stands only 5-9, but creates incredible separation and is not afraid to work the middle of the field. Lockett is a very good route-runner and will be able to hit more than a few big plays with Russell Wilson's ability to extend plays. Despite all his positives, Lockett is a late-round redraft prospect at best and profiles as a late second-round pick at best in rookie drafts.

So i got a bargain taking him in the mid 3rd? Yay! I only had a third and a fourth rnd pick this year so this is welcome news.

So i got a bargain taking him in the mid 3rd? Yay! I only had a third and a fourth rnd pick this year so this is welcome news.

Sneak peek at my dynasty rankings (coming out later this week): I have Lockett a few steps ahead of Baldwin and my comment for him is "Could easily become the Seahawks' new Golden Tate".

Wouldn't surprise me if he's their top WR by the end of the season.

Possibly, but I'd be surprised if that happened. Baldwin is no slouch, Kearse is the deep threat and I'd expect Seattle to expand Chris Matthews' role. I think Lockett will make his name returning kicks/punts for the majority of this season.

Sneak peek at my dynasty rankings (coming out later this week): I have Lockett a few steps ahead of Baldwin and my comment for him is "Could easily become the Seahawks' new Golden Tate".

Possibly, but I'd be surprised if that happened. Baldwin is no slouch, Kearse is the deep threat and I'd expect Seattle to expand Chris Matthews' role. I think Lockett will make his name returning kicks/punts for the majority of this season.

You have a higher opinion of Seattle's WRs than do I.

You have a higher opinion of Seattle's WRs than do I.

Graham will be the "receiver" to own in Seattle this year (...and maybe Chris Matthews too)

Conspicuously absent from the name dropping is one Paul Richardson. Is he the village idiot of his WR draft class or was he more of a talented rookie stuck in a run heavy system, not provided the opportunity to spread his (Seahawk) wings?

It use to be that WRs were expected to take a year or two to get their helmets on straight, lately though we've been seeing them explode from day one of their rookie year.

There is no reciever to own for Seattle. Even when we do pass, it will be spread out evenly.

Graham - 85catches, 950 yards 8 TD's (Best option - Tall redzone/Big play when needed or chain mover)
Baldwin - 75catches, 850 yards 6 TD's (sneaky good - A guy to rely on - chain mover)

Kearse - 60catches, 750 yards 4 TD's (Deep threat - long catch for yardage with few catches per game)

Lockett - Impact on special teams mostly, 350 yards 3 TD's (Still a nice weapon overall for us though. Eventually might be Baldwin replacement. Seperation play)

Chris M. - 250 3 TD's (Primarily redzone - probably benched as the year goes on. Can't seperate very well and Graham does his job)
Robinson - 300 yards 0 TD (Gets nothing first half of year, then gets some time as #4 or 5 option)
Luke W/TE - 40-50 catches, 400 yards, 4 TD's (If Graham is keyed on, he could be big for us with less pressure on him)

Wilson = hits 4,000 yards with RB, etc.

28-30 passing TD's.

Plus Rushing stats

Then he gets his big fat contract he deserves.