Sign in to follow this  
fanfootballtn

Yahoo's Best Draft award is like the Madden Curse

Every since they have been doing this, the winner usually have a bad season and finishes last or doesn't make the playoffs. This is just the experience that I've seen in my league. This year, I was awarded the best draft and it's been nothing but disappointment. Luck is my keeper player and he has already missed 2 games this season. Dez Bryant was my other keeper and you see where he is. Last year I didn't get it although I thought I had the best draft and ended up winning it all. The guy who was picked to win it finished in last place the past 2 years. This year, he received a C+ as a grade but he is 5-0 this year. Go figure :bench: .

I am happy to have never been cursed by it. Yahoo loves to poop on fantasy football. They have been terrible at it from the start. I was first goaded back into playing in a league on their website back in '09, and I remembered having to dig and dig to find players who were absolutely buried because they didn't bother to rank them -- guys were just shoved onto the list (you know, QBs like Ben Roethlisberger).

Then, when they FINALLY added IDPs, their autodraft (based on their rankings!) RUINED any team for which it made picks, and it STILL DOES. That sounds funny until your opponents play the guy who got autodrafted and suddenly became busy for a month.

We were pencil and paper (okay, keyboard), and then Fleaflicker, and then that stupid (half-decent, but not really ever improving) phone app meant my old keeper league wanted to switch to Yahoo. I hate 'em. Even their defaults are ridiculous and stupid (more ranting):

-NO FRACTIONAL POINTS? WTF. Let's start off every season by giving people reasons to be pissed off because yardage totals are ending in 7, 8, 9. Nothing more rewarding than rounding down!

-No playoff reseeding by default? I didn't know what that even MEANT until Yahoo. Is it the NORM to be in a league big enough to have conferences? No? This isn't F'ing college basketball - top-ranked plays bottom-ranked in each round.

-No trade proposal notifications in app (yes, I know they are under pending transactions, but NO ONE ELSE DOES)?

-League trade veto by default, and only 4 votes required?

-Can't drop list by default (I think they changed this...)?

-Lock all players at start of first (Thursday night!) game by default? (may have been fixed finally; not sure)

The others are minor by comparison (no per-yard points for FGs, can't have separate scoring for the positions, can't get points for interception return yards), and they are slowly improving (TFLs work correctly this year!), but I'd happily pay for a premium product.

I am happy to have never been cursed by it. Yahoo loves to poop on fantasy football. They have been terrible at it from the start. I was first goaded back into playing in a league on their website back in '09, and I remembered having to dig and dig to find players who were absolutely buried because they didn't bother to rank them -- guys were just shoved onto the list (you know, QBs like Ben Roethlisberger).

Then, when they FINALLY added IDPs, their autodraft (based on their rankings!) RUINED any team for which it made picks, and it STILL DOES. That sounds funny until your opponents play the guy who got autodrafted and suddenly became busy for a month.

We were pencil and paper (okay, keyboard), and then Fleaflicker, and then that stupid (half-decent, but not really ever improving) phone app meant my old keeper league wanted to switch to Yahoo. I hate 'em. Even their defaults are ridiculous and stupid (more ranting):

-NO FRACTIONAL POINTS? WTF. Let's start off every season by giving people reasons to be pissed off because yardage totals are ending in 7, 8, 9. Nothing more rewarding than rounding down!

-No playoff reseeding by default? I didn't know what that even MEANT until Yahoo. Is it the NORM to be in a league big enough to have conferences? No? This isn't F'ing college basketball - top-ranked plays bottom-ranked in each round.

-No trade proposal notifications in app (yes, I know they are under pending transactions, but NO ONE ELSE DOES)?

-Lock all players at start of first (Thursday night!) game by default? (may have been fixed finally; not sure)

The others are minor by comparison (no per-yard points for FGs, can't have separate scoring for the positions, can't get points for interception return yards), and they are slowly improving (TFLs work correctly this year!), but I'd happily pay for a premium product.

Dude, why are you bitching so hard about what the defaults are? Change them.

You're dead right about their IDP ranking though. They just rank them on offensive scoring, I think. Which DE is more likely to get rushing yards or something. Messed up. But preranking takes care of that. Just takes time.

• Like 1

Wow dude. You don't even know what you're ranting about. Stuff from years ago? Get over it. The ONLY thing you posted that's correct is the IDP rankings. They don't even bother. Odd really because they do pretty accurate projections. If they ranked off that, no issues. Well, the irrational ones would still be there so you still have that.

Dude...there is ALWAYS IDP talent available.

Here's a small example from this season alone:

If your team sucked at linebacker, you could've been astute and picked up Jordan Hicks from the Eagles.

You could've picked up one of the players from the MASH unit known as the Panthers defense.

Redskins secondary. Breeland has missed time, Hall has as well.

There are 11 defensive players. All of whom can potentially be fantasy relevant. Compare that to only 6 on offense that could do something productive from a fantasy sense.

If you didn't pay attention to your team and make the necessary pick ups during the course of the year, blame yourself. Not yahoo.

Oh. And fractional points...maybe your commissioner could've done his or her job and changed the league settings to those that the league voted on.

OPIAFP

Dude, why are you bitching so hard about what the defaults are? Change them.

You're dead right about their IDP ranking though. They just rank them on offensive scoring, I think. Which DE is more likely to get rushing yards or something. Messed up. But preranking takes care of that. Just takes time.

Mainly because I think they are indicative of the degree to which Yahoo cares about putting out a decent product (not blaming them in a business sense, considering the breadth of their target market). As you said, their projections can actually be pretty good, but they just did not care to run the data for IDPs (not like they don't have it). The attention to detail simply isn't there. I'm not suggesting that they should be able to compete with MFL by any stretch, but expecting what Fleaflicker did ten years ago isn't much.

Wow dude. You don't even know what you're ranting about. Stuff from years ago? Get over it. The ONLY thing you posted that's correct is the IDP rankings. They don't even bother. Odd really because they do pretty accurate projections. If they ranked off that, no issues. Well, the irrational ones would still be there so you still have that.

Huh. I was wrong about all of the defaults for this year? A quick google brought up the default public leagues settings (never been relevant for me), and it looks like I'm at least wrong about fractional points. Playoff reseeding is unclear because I'm looking at settings for a 10 team league. Again, agreed on the projections, but I don't find it out of character for them.

Dude...there is ALWAYS IDP talent available.

...<snip>...

If you didn't pay attention to your team and make the necessary pick ups during the course of the year, blame yourself. Not yahoo.

Oh. And fractional points...maybe your commissioner could've done his or her job and changed the league settings to those that the league voted on.

OPIAFP

Your first assumption (that the IDP talent on my team is inadequate or on the wire is inadequate).The second doesn't apply to my leagues (and, apparently, no longer applies at all). Are you defending Yahoo as producing a good product (well, its users are), or pissed at me for ranting, or just trolling...?

You do realize EVERY site has defaults right? Defaults are simply that, defaults. They CAN be changed. It's actually pretty easy. Look into it.

So again, the only gripe you have that has any validity is the one with the non-existent ranking of IDPs and the resulting Auto Pick disaster for those who don't bother to show for the draft. That's on them.

Your first assumption (that the IDP talent on my team is inadequate or on the wire is inadequate).The second doesn't apply to my leagues (and, apparently, no longer applies at all). Are you defending Yahoo as producing a good product (well, its users are), or pissed at me for ranting, or just trolling...?

You yourself said that you got screwed because your autodraft for IDP "RUINED any team". Your words chief.

If it doesn't apply to you any longer and hasn't for some time, why complain about it now? That time of month?

Defending Yahoo? No. I'm saying that if your commissioner had done his or her job, league settings would've been prim and proper. Your anger towards Yahoo is misplaced. It's the commissioner. not the host site.

• Like 1

I'll defend Yahoo. I know it's the "cool" thing to do on this forearm. Everyone here is too cool, too much a "playa" for such a mundane thing as a free service. They MUST pay in order to feel better about themselves. Me? I don't care. I like Yahoo infinitely more than either ESPN or NFL.com and see no reason to pay for such a service when I don't have to. As I've said before, I agree that I wish they'd rank their IDPs by projections rather than however they do now. There is almost always one team who misses the draft and since we have highly customized setting and lineups (I changed those dreaded defaults), auto drafted teams get screwed on the IDPs (and also because it's a 2-Qb league). They end up with Winston and Fitzpatrick as their QBs and a bunch of no names as their IDPs. They can fix the IDPs though because (as said previously) there are plenty of defensive players still available. Still, it would be nice if Yahoo could do this easy fix.

I'll defend Yahoo. I know it's the "cool" thing to do on this forearm. Everyone here is too cool, too much a "playa" for such a mundane thing as a free service. They MUST pay in order to feel better about themselves. Me? I don't care. I like Yahoo infinitely more than either ESPN or NFL.com and see no reason to pay for such a service when I don't have to. As I've said before, I agree that I wish they'd rank their IDPs by projections rather than however they do now. There is almost always one team who misses the draft and since we have highly customized setting and lineups (I changed those dreaded defaults), auto drafted teams get screwed on the IDPs (and also because it's a 2-Qb league). They end up with Winston and Fitzpatrick as their QBs and a bunch of no names as their IDPs. They can fix the IDPs though because (as said previously) there are plenty of defensive players still available. Still, it would be nice if Yahoo could do this easy fix.

I like Yahoo too. (shrug emoticon I'm too lazy to do on my phone)

We used to pay for the premium service, but when they made it all premium, we went that route. I never liked ESPN or NFL much...I put a lot of stock in how much I like the feel of the interface.

Yahoo's predictions are actually pretty good for points week to week, although their analysts are lousy. But I come here for analysis, I just ignore yahoo.

Only complaint I have this year is on the phone app. Hitting player news makes you have to scroll down past some silly video link before you can see the news. Put the news first, then your stupid blog video thing.

The IDP rankings for drafting are always bad. Weeds people out. I run an IDP-only league...well, team D too, but no offense positions. Every year, there are one or two teams who don't prerank on their own. They get third string dudes, guys on IR, etc. Builds character to sort through the waivers. In fact, I'm in second place at the mo, with a great team. The girl in first forgot to prerank but has filled her team with enough quality to be undefeated so far.

I'll make it three. Of all the free services, Yahoo IMO is the best. It isnt perfect, but its better. There isnt anything i would rate as Terrible about Yahoo. ESPN is awful. Just terrible. . I played in a league there for two seasons and still had trouble navigating the league site. Its functional, but laid out poorly. Things arent where you would expect them to be. Ands its ugly too. They should just quit hosting FF leagues I actually like NFL.com, too, except for the autoplay ads on every other page. The only free site im aware of that has redzone and goal to go stats for its players. Fleaflicker is ok overall, but their stat page is terrible.(Psssst FF host sites....some of us want to be able to reorder lists of , for example, free agent WRs by reception. Sheesh) It looks nice though. I especially like the ability to use a dark theme.

(Psssst FF host sites....some of us want to be able to reorder lists of , for example, free agent WRs by reception. Sheesh)

You can't reorder lists there? That makes it unusable imo. No exaggeration.

You can't reorder lists there? That makes it unusable imo. No exaggeration.

You can reorder lists for total pts scored, avg pts scored, and avg pts scored for the last 1 game, 3 games and 5 games respectiviely. But you cannot reorder for any specific stat like recpetions or yards or TDs. . And they dont even list targets,.

This is where Yahoo truly excels. You can sort by just about anything you want.

Last year one of my teams won the best yahoo draft award. I started the season 1-4 due to a ton of injuries. However, players got healthy in time for me to win the league. This year my two teams were chosen to have the best drafts and of course I was blown out in my first game of the season. In first place in one league and in 3rd in another. I am the point leader in both leagues. I have a good chance to win barring major injuries.

Last year one of my teams won the best yahoo draft award. I started the season 1-4 due to a ton of injuries. However, players got healthy in time for me to win the league. This year my two teams were chosen to have the best drafts and of course I was blown out in my first game of the season. In first place in one league and in 3rd in another. I am the point leader in both leagues. I have a good chance to win barring major injuries.

I got an A+ for the team that's in 2nd in ranking and scoring right now, predicted finish of 4th after draft, adjusted to 2nd now.

I got a C- for the team that's sitting in 1st and blowing the doors off everyone. Predicted finish near the bottom after the draft, adjusted to 1st place and 12-1 now.

They didn't grade the draft of my All-Defense league. Cause they don't know how.

That's my point. Yahoo jinx you like the Madden Curse. Someone always get hurt causing you to have a horrible season.