Sign in to follow this  
tanatastic

I heard about an amazing way to play FF. Will try to organize it next year. Pirate league!

So the premise of a pirate league is that the winner gets to take a player from the loser! I saw this and immediatly thought it would be cool if the loser got to take a player from the winners bench as a replacement. Imagine the horrendous power shifts that would occur every week and dissapointment when you take a guys best player who then gets hurt or busts. I think this sounds fun and will try to get in a league like this next year.

Sounds interesting. Any player can be taken? Or would you put some kind restriction on it?

Any player bro. Anyone. The loser gets anyone on your bench. some serious fockery would go on between bye weeks and active rosters. Facing a weak opponent whos been savaged for his top 3 players? Keep your stud active during his bye week so the loser doesnt snipe him off your bench. Oh no, his kicker got 20 points and his bum wrs both scored! You might lose to him! Nail biter til monday night when your guy fumbles at the goal line and costs you a win. Your opponent takes your best player who you kept in the lineup! Ah but he also has a guy who is a few games away from breaking out so you take him from his bench. The madness!

Any player bro. Anyone. The loser gets anyone on your bench. some serious fockery would go on between bye weeks and active rosters. Facing a weak opponent whos been savaged for his top 3 players? Keep your stud active during his bye week so the loser doesnt snipe him off your bench. Oh no, his kicker got 20 points and his bum wrs both scored! You might lose to him! Nail biter til monday night when your guy fumbles at the goal line and costs you a win. Your opponent takes your best player who you kept in the lineup! Ah but he also has a guy who is a few games away from breaking out so you take him from his bench. The madness!

you said anyone but then say they can take anyone from your bench. So to clarify...can you take anyone from the "team" whether they are on the bench or starting lineup?

Not entirely new, and the format was ripped a few years back on this forum as being "ghey." And it's most commonly a player from the opposing bench. One variant of this is to have each owner select a player from the opposing roster prior to Sunday's kickoff (Thursday players get a pass). If that player is parked on the opposing owner's bench, you get his points added to your score. If he starts, no points added. Ownership doesn't change, however. Just the player's points for that week.

It's cutthroat and not for crybabies. We did the point sniping variant for one season and bagged it. Not because it wasn't fun. It was. We just grew tired of all the whining. Would love to try the "pirate" idea, however.

you said anyone but then say they can take anyone from your bench. So to clarify...can you take anyone from the "team" whether they are on the bench or starting lineup?

Winner takes any player, loser can take a player off the winners bench.

How will that not end up with completely polarized teams? The winning team gets to get stronger? And then stronger the next week? And again? If you haven't won after three weeks, why would you bother continuing?

Not trying to crap on the idea, just trying to see why it wouldn't snowball way too fast?

How will that not end up with completely polarized teams? The winning team gets to get stronger? And then stronger the next week? And again? If you haven't won after three weeks, why would you bother continuing?

Not trying to crap on the idea, just trying to see why it wouldn't snowball way too fast?

Yea that will def happen, it can get out of control fast id imagine. There will also be times when the supposed powerhouse team that won 3 games in a row loses to a chump on a losing streak who then takes his best player. So the chance for swings the opposite way are still there. But by midseason there will def be overpowered teams and teams that were absolutely decimated.

Yea that will def happen, it can get out of control fast id imagine. There will also be times when the supposed powerhouse team that won 3 games in a row loses to a chump on a losing streak who then takes his best player. So the chance for swings the opposite way are still there. But by midseason there will def be overpowered teams and teams that were absolutely decimated.

But after those three game wins, the guy who beats him once gets only one player.

So I've already taken the best players from three other teams. I'm sitting on four best players. You take one, I've still got three. I start with Bell. Then I grab Brady. Then I grab Julio. Then Gronk. Now you beat me and take one of them. Not that big a deal.

This would, however, work well for a tournament, I'd think. Round Robin, even :)

Edit: again, not crapping. If you're prepared for it, go with it.

I once tried to run a Losers League. The goal was to start the worst roster of *starting* players that you could. Tried to set up the scoring for negative points...each TD loses you points, for example. Couldn't find a league site where I could get the scoring to work right.

Winner takes any player, loser can take a player off the winners bench.

I see, thanks for clarifying :thumbsup:

ARRRRRR

I'm intrigued.

Gut tells me the beginning of the season, when you are still learning who's the real thing, will be a lot more fun than the end, when you know who is and things get lopsided.

This post needs to be medicated

This post needs to be medicated

I don't follow. Perfectly normal post to me. I'm painting a picture of a scenario.