Sign in to follow this  
American Chewy

Changing to a 1 RB 2 Flex league?

I'm commish in a league thats been around for 14 years and typically we are very slow to change things, usually a couple years behind the industry. took us 8 years to go to a flex and 11 years to get away from standard scoring. I'm wondering now if we should get ahead of the curve and move to a 1RB 2 Flex start league rather than 2 RBs required to start. This season especially has me wondering with all the injuries at rb and most NFL teams not having a workhorse guy and being really pass heavy it seems RB in fantasy is now all about who has the right (lucky) handcuff and starting a bunch of scatbacks where you pray for 4-5 catches and a fluke td.

is this where things are headed? does your league do this or are you thinking about it?

Yes and you will like the change .

Here's my leagues starting lineup requirements -

1 Qb

1 RB

1 WR

3 FLEX (rb,we,te)

1 TE

1 K

1 DEF

Bonuses for yardage at 100, 150, 200, 250, 300 for rbs, te's and wrs..

Bonuses for yardage at 300, 400, 500 for qbs..

Defenses - 3 pt sacks, 5 pt ints, 3 point blocks and fumble recoveries, 5 pt safeties,25 pts for a shutout, 20 pts for 1-9 points allowed, 5 pts for 10-19 points allowed, then -5 points over 30 points allowed, -10 over 35, -15 over 40..

We installed these starting lineup parameters around 2007-2008 due to something I named the "Justin Fargas" rule change ...

The previous year in the playoffs one of my team's owners had to bench a great wr at the time (roddy white) and was forced to start Justin Fargas in his running back 2 spot since his starter got banged up that week in practice..

He lost that game by 14 points and got knocked out of the playoffs with Fargas having like 5 lousy points and Roddy going off for 31 on his bench..

The following season at the draft I announced the rule change and it's been much much better having more options..

There are barely enough semi-reliable rbs for everyone to have one these days, let alone two of them...

The rb position is becoming more and more like the tight end position where a few good ones are usually good and the rest are kinda becoming like the te's after Gronk, eifert, olsen (barnridge this year a bunch too) in that they are way less reliable than seasons past when 2 rbs was ok since a lot of teams used their "guy" most of the game...

The teams in your league will enjoy the change, not being saddled with that awful second rb lineup requirement in today's nfl is a huge step forward for your league...

We actually did

1QB

2RB

2WR

1TE

2FLEX

1Def

in one of my leagues last year. It was my favorite one. So I brought it over to one of my other leagues without the mandatory TE spot. I can reward owners for knowing talent, having a good draft and/or a really deep bench.

We did a few years ago and the timing was perfect given the way rb is headed. 14 team league.

1 qb, 1 rb, 2 wr, 1 te, 2 flex (rb/wr/te), k, d 5 bench spots.

It is also full ppr. The rule changes have worked great gi en the current status of rb in the nfl.

Our 12 team 2rb 2wr TE flex league is looking at making TE optional . With so much volatility at the position we're looking at

QB
RB
RB
WR

WR

WR/TE flex

WR/TE/RB flex

I think it's easier to scrounge up 2 RBs than 1 reliable TE after the top 5 or so.

7 years ago. with PPR of course. also when decided to never play in anything smaller than a 14 team league.

and avoid having divisions as much as possible, especially in re-draft.

I think a baseline setup of 2wr, 2rb and 1 flex can be changed to any combo as long as its 5 total players.

We actually did

1QB

2RB

2WR

1TE

2FLEX

1Def

in one of my leagues last year. It was my favorite one. So I brought it over to one of my other leagues without the mandatory TE spot. I can reward owners for knowing talent, having a good draft and/or a really deep bench.

:thumbsup: BOOM. That's all I play. Full PPR as well with 6 point QB tds. Bonuses for 100+ yard rbs and wrs and 300+ yard qb

I'm commish in a league thats been around for 14 years and typically we are very slow to change things, usually a couple years behind the industry. took us 8 years to go to a flex and 11 years to get away from standard scoring. I'm wondering now if we should get ahead of the curve and move to a 1RB 2 Flex start league rather than 2 RBs required to start. This season especially has me wondering with all the injuries at rb and most NFL teams not having a workhorse guy and being really pass heavy it seems RB in fantasy is now all about who has the right (lucky) handcuff and starting a bunch of scatbacks where you pray for 4-5 catches and a fluke td.

is this where things are headed? does your league do this or are you thinking about it?

Your league is slow? We just added a flex this year and instituted decimal scoring. I like this idea A LOT and will put it to the league for a vote.