Sign in to follow this  
cousinal111

As Commish, What Should I Do?

To be fair, this exact situation happened in our league, we had a good long term owner who went AWOL as his team went off the rails (he went all denver and started the season 0-6). The commish had to fix his lineup for a couple of weeks.

I've been caught putting in a player who was ruled out when I was on business travel. The commish fixed my lineup for me before game time.

I think as a commish you want to ensure the games are as competitive as possible and teams are obligated to field their best possible lineup. That's subjective, however if a player is clearly out, or on a bye week and the owner is inactive, you should make the change to the lineup. If in doubt, use the best predicted total score if they have multiple options.

I think docking a draft pick is extreme, have you contacted the owner? Maybe they were just really busy that week and didn't notice their lineup. We have a rule that 3 weeks of inactivity in a row and no contact to the commish and your team is locked and under commish control for lineups. To get control back you have to contact the commish and promise to monitor your team properly.

I've always resisted making lineup decisions as a commish. I don't want a matchup turning into Me vs the other owner, and I'd be worried that me doing that would encourage the bad actors to keep on not paying attention. "Hey, I won again, I'll just let Brotherbock keep doing the work." I also don't want a sh!tstorm if I make a bad call the week he plays me :/

I've always resisted making lineup decisions as a commish. I don't want a matchup turning into Me vs the other owner, and I'd be worried that me doing that would encourage the bad actors to keep on not paying attention. "Hey, I won again, I'll just let Brotherbock keep doing the work." I also don't want a sh!tstorm if I make a bad call the week he plays me :/

It's give or take, we trust our commish he's a good guy, and I think the league would agree they want games to be as competitive as possible, especially if your playoff spot depends on someone else being upset.

In the event you have an inactive owner playing you, you just post a message saying "Hey I would make this lineup change regardless of who he is playing." You're not encouraging them to not pay attention, if they do it once, hey mistakes happen people get busy. Multiple times means their team gets locked until they message the commish.

You said you mentioned that a lot of you guys are hard drinkers and re covering alcholics, but your penalty was to re name is team???? How is that a punishment.

I never mentioned renaming team, that's just a dumb idea. I said most likely he'll just have to be kicked out at seasons end.

With the exception of talking to him. We're people first. Say "Hey, dude...pay attention to your team, the rest of us are thinking about not inviting you back next year. Not because we don't like you, but because you're not paying attention and it's bothering us a lot."

then go over to his house and punch him in the face in front of his wife and kids

Then see what he says.

There, cleaned that up for you

We have a league rule where the commish (me) can, right before kickoff of games, insert another player off that teams bench (whatever is most logical, usually i consult another owner or two) if they have a player declared out earlier in the week or on bye in a starting position. If it happens more than once in a season that owner can be booted. I value outcome integrity very highly.

• Like 1

It's give or take, we trust our commish he's a good guy, and I think the league would agree they want games to be as competitive as possible, especially if your playoff spot depends on someone else being upset.

In the event you have an inactive owner playing you, you just post a message saying "Hey I would make this lineup change regardless of who he is playing." You're not encouraging them to not pay attention, if they do it once, hey mistakes happen people get busy. Multiple times means their team gets locked until they message the commish.

I've had owners ask me in the past as commish to make changes for them, say via text or call, if they couldn't get online. I've even had one guy ask me to set his lineup for a couple weeks when he was unavoidable called away for work. That's no problem, I'll do it. And I consult with at least another owner if there's any possibility of benefit to me from the decision. I've also drafted for an owner who had a good reason to not be able to make the draft. I'm fine with that, if they ask. But now, particularly with the new rule I'm trying out, I prefer sink or swim for those times when an owner just fails to make a change. It's not perfect, but I prefer that to the possibility that the owner playing the missing owner that week gets upset at me for making a particular starting decision...because, let's face it, often the absentee owners are the ones who make questionable starting decisions anyway. There's a good chance that if I make the decision for an owner, I'm making a better decision. :/