Sign in to follow this  
Torn

2019 Pre-Draft Discussions, Questions, Info

A thread to discuss any questions you may have pre-draft and for general information/discussion.

From Me:

* Welcome to our newest managers, MotorCityKitty and DisturbedFan and a welcome back to our 2018 mid-season replacement manager, Talent Scout! And, of course, welcome back to all of our long term managers as well!

* All managers are now paid in full - thanks!

* All teams have locked their keepers - thanks!

* Our draft order is set - thanks!

* I'll start working on creating/publishing our 2019 Draft Tracking Sheet - a helpful resource to quickly and easily see how teams are shaping up. I'll add in the keepers and modify it to account for the many pre-draft trades. Please be careful with the sheet as it contains many formulas that can mess up things globally if you're not careful. More to come on that... p.s. My thanks to Posty for his assistance with the getting the Yahoo player list into the sheet!

* Until keepers/payments are finalized, please refrain from posting any trades. You can negotiate in the background if you like, but nothing "official" until those logistics are completed. REMINDER - all trades must be posted to the forum and both managers MUST confirm the deal as accurate before I will process it. UPDATE - blew this by allowing it. Next season, the original premise in this thread will apply.

* To give me a little breathing room to deal with the draft sheet and for all of us to do some trading after the payment/keeper deadline, I will likely wait until Sunday or Monday (3/10-3/11) to open the draft. Of course, if the other logistics wrap up sooner (hint, hint 🙂 ), I can move that accordingly... UPDATE: the upside of allowing the early trades is that it gave me a jump start on pulling the tracker sheet together. It should be ready to go on Fri night, 3/8. Once I've completed it, I'll open up the draft thread to get things rolling...

Good luck to Everyone this season!

In the interest of moving the timeline in a bit, I've reached out to Godfather and Vargapugh to see if they can tie up their loose ends sooner rather than later.

Ideally, would like to get into draft mode on/by Friday, but it will be difficult to do so if logistics run right up to the deadline.

In the spirit of keeping things flowing, I'm going to allow for trade postings at this point. Please make sure your trade partner confirms the deal as it is written within the thread.

Hopefully, I'll hear from Vargapugh soon...  He responded promptly when I pinged him re: draft position a couple of days ago, so I'm guessing some real life event has got him out of the loop temporarily.

Godfather did reply and said he'd get his keepers in today.

I have four keepers planned, AND two tentative trades involving potential keepers. ALL of the players in question have Thursday afternoon March 7th games (none in the evening). So, ...by about 6 p.m. or so Mountain Time, ...8 or so Eastern, ...I intend to nail down and confirm those trades with the other two owners before anybody nods off for the night. That will all change if news on a key trade player/keeper is diagnosed with a blown out knee/broken bone, etc.

Thus, if the 1, 2, 3 position guys want to start drafting sometime Friday morning, and the commish has no objections, we should have our confirmed keepers in place well before any Friday games are underway. Then, ...it will be time to start crossing our fingers that nothing catastrophic happens here in March. Make sense?

Yep, at this stage, once Vargapugh declares keepers and pays dues, I will ask folks to lock in keepers while I get the draft sheet set up and we can get rolling as soon as I publish it.

The sooner the better IMO with the tight timeline.

Mr. Varga - it's on you at this point. No pressure... LOL and just kidding. I gave until Friday and will honor that. I just wish he was in touch so I could myself at ease that all is well with him and he'll be ready to roll.

The trade deals are being defined. Just waiting to make sure nobody gets hit by a bus Wed-Thurs.

I can't lock in my keepers until Thursday evening

With Godfather's help, I've been in touch with Vargapugh today. He had some phone issues and wasn't getting the texts. 

He's back in the mix and noted that he'd deal with payment and keepers today.

Almost there....  🙂  

• Thanks 1

I gotta say, this is a very active pre-season trading bonanza! Awesome stuff...

I can't wait to get keepers locked and trades confirmed so I can lockdown a tracking sheet and see who the heck is actually picking where. 🙂  It's really tough making more deals right now as I'm stumbling around trying to decipher where everyone's current draft picks are.

With tentative keepers and trades still out there, I'm hesitant to populate the tracking sheet and actually feel confident in what I'm seeing. I love the trading frenzy, but please make sure you're not conflicting with moves made in other trades... 

I have started to build the draft sheet, but as noted, the glut of "if this doesn't happen" agreements followed up by other trades involving picks from the "if this doesn't happen" agreements is making it difficult. The lack of locked keepers is also confusing matters. 20/20 hindsight - this is historically why we have avoided allowing trades prior to keeper deadline. I should not have allowed trades to get posted prior to keeper locks. 

If someone in these trades or tentative keeper lists does get injured today, unwinding the domino effects is going to be very messy. Combine that with the overlapping trade issues we're already starting to see and it's already making for an unnecessarily messy and confusing draft board. 

Next season, no trades until keepers are locked. It's simply too much overhead to deal with all of the "if, then, else" trade and "tentative" keeper scenarios.

Agreed. If it were up to me, my lone trade would have been signed and sealed when initially agreed upon. I just had to put the disclaimer in my keeper section because Snell isn't technically mine yet.

Wish I could have re-joined the league to have fun with you guys, especially the draft, but I am too busy with my RE career, which is starting to pay dividends for me.  Perhaps, I can consider joining in a year or two when I am more established.  In the meantime, I hope to follow the draft and have fun seeing how everyone does with their teams.

Hey, Dave!! Nice to see you lurking around...  🙂

I know you retired from the league to go on that path and am glad to hear the career is blooming.

Keepers are now locked - I made one final spin through and didn't see any updates since 10:45am.

I will now work on getting the Draft Tracker put together and should have it ready this evening... I've got a few things to do in real life before I can wrap that up.

Once I get that posted, we will be ready to rock and I'll let Harry know he can kick things off!

I've liked all of the trade buzz and deals to start the season (even though I got an ice cream headache trying to keep track of them all). It's a great way to get the energy flowing for the new season.

Thanks to everyone for their help and I wish everyone good luck with their draft and season!

6 minutes ago, Torn said:

I've liked all of the trade buzz and deals to start the season (even though I got an ice cream headache trying to keep track of them all).

Hah, now you know how I felt at times...  Trying to make sure I had the "T"'s all dotted and the "I"'s all crossed...

23 minutes ago, posty said:

Hah, now you know how I felt at times...  Trying to make sure I had the "T"'s all dotted and the "I"'s all crossed...

Yep... Never again with allowing (non-keeper related) trades prior to keepers getting locked. It's actually pretty easy to deal with once the keepers are locked in, all of the "if this doesn't happen" stuff is accounted for and the tracker sheet is in place to more easily visualize the moving parts.