Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Titans agree on new deal with Tannehill

Wow that’s a huge deal for a Qb that started last season as a back up.  

Oh my soul.  

10 hours ago, weepaws said:

Wow that’s a huge deal for a Qb that started last season as a back up.  

Oh my soul.  

Yeah, he started out last season as a back up, but did anyone (other than the Mariota family), truly believe that Mariota was the better QB?  I think this was a good deal.  I always thought Tannehill was a solid QB on a team that didn't/couldn't maximize his strengths.

3 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Yeah, he started out last season as a back up, but did anyone (other than the Mariota family), truly believe that Mariota was the better QB?  I think this was a good deal.  I always thought Tannehill was a solid QB on a team that didn't/couldn't maximize his strengths.

valid point.

I drafted him in my 2 QB league with the thought that he would have Mariotas job by week 6.   I was wrong in the sense that it happened a bit later than I had predicted, but I was right in the sense that he was most definitely the better QB.

33 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

valid point.

I drafted him in my 2 QB league with the thought that he would have Mariotas job by week 6.   I was wrong in the sense that it happened a bit later than I had predicted, but I was right in the sense that he was most definitely the better QB.

You were close.  He came in to replace Mariota in Week 6.

22 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

You were close.  He came in to replace Mariota in Week 6.

for some reason I thought it was week 8.  Guess I didnt pay enough attention

1 minute ago, Ray_T said:

for some reason I thought it was week 8.  Guess I didnt pay enough attention

LOL

Tannehill won’t live up to the money.  

4 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Solid qbs don’t get paid that much money.  

A agree he’s solid, and we’ll be just solid next season. 

He’ll be over valued.  

48 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Solid qbs don’t get paid that much money.  

A agree he’s solid, and we’ll be just solid next season. 

He’ll be over valued.  

While I agree with you in concept, in reality, that's not the case.  Besides, only slightly more than half of the deal is actually guaranteed.  When you sign anyone to a multi-year contract, the first year is automatic and the second year virtually is, so to "guarantee" those two years is just fluff... the player is going to get that money anyway, in the majority of cases.  Let's say Tannehill has a "meh" year next year.  They'll draft his replacement in 2021, then cut Tannehill at virtually no risk after the 2021 season.  He has $15M in dead cap money after the 2021 season.  They can cut him after June 1st (2022), and get hit with $7.5M on that year and the following year of dead money.  That's not really a risky contract that they're handing out.

Worst case scenario is that he 100% flat out bombs and sucks.  Someone will likely take that cap hit for you a mid-round draft pick (see Denver/Cleveland-Osweiler trade).  I don't see that happening.  Tannehill, for his whole career has been pretty decent.

22 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

While I agree with you in concept, in reality, that's not the case.  Besides, only slightly more than half of the deal is actually guaranteed.  When you sign anyone to a multi-year contract, the first year is automatic and the second year virtually is, so to "guarantee" those two years is just fluff... the player is going to get that money anyway, in the majority of cases.  Let's say Tannehill has a "meh" year next year.  They'll draft his replacement in 2021, then cut Tannehill at virtually no risk after the 2021 season.  He has $15M in dead cap money after the 2021 season.  They can cut him after June 1st (2022), and get hit with $7.5M on that year and the following year of dead money.  That's not really a risky contract that they're handing out.

Worst case scenario is that he 100% flat out bombs and sucks.  Someone will likely take that cap hit for you a mid-round draft pick (see Denver/Cleveland-Osweiler trade).  I don't see that happening.  Tannehill, for his whole career has been pretty decent.

really his only terrible year was a year where he was injured for much of it.

for the most part, he has been a slightly above average QB his whole career.

sure hes likely getting overpaid a bit, but nearly all QB's who start are getting overpaid these days.

That’s a lot of up front money for a solid Qb.  

He won’t perform well enough to cover the money they are giving him.  

Hes nothing more then solid  

Agree with you both.