Sign in to follow this  
Utilit99

Anyone familiar with the structures inside those sewers that are built into curbs on the streets?

Occasionally I see raccoons go down into them, but I never have seen one actually coming out of one. What the heck are they doing down there? Having a party and laughing at the democrat humans while drinking some raccoon cocktails? 

And how do those big fat ones fit through the tiny slot? 

40 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Occasionally I see raccoons go down into them, but I never have seen one actually coming out of one. What the heck are they doing down there? Having a party and laughing at the democrat humans while drinking some raccoon cocktails? 

And how do those big fat ones fit through the tiny slot? 

They're storm drains, not sewers. Water from the gutters drains into them and runs through pipes at the bottom to an outlet somewhere. 

Raccoons, possums and other animals live in them during the dry months. When the rains hit, they flood and the animals move somewhere dry. 

2 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

They're storm drains, not sewers. Water from the gutters drains into them and runs through pipes at the bottom to an outlet somewhere. 

Raccoons, possums and other animals live in them during the dry months. When the rains hit, they flood and the animals move somewhere dry. 

Hmm. So it acts as both a home and a little roadway for them to get around the town. Watership Down was a book about rabbits. Maybe it should have been about raccoons. I would have known more.

24 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

Yes. I would find eaten cats close to the entrance of a storm drain in Keller TX.  We had plenty of coyotes, and I always wondered if they were getting around the neighborhood in those things. The cats were almost completely consumed, including the skulls. I have pictures. 

1 hour ago, BiPolarBear said:

Yes. I would find eaten cats close to the entrance of a storm drain in Keller TX.  We had plenty of coyotes, and I always wondered if they were getting around the neighborhood in those things. The cats were almost completely consumed, including the skulls. I have pictures. 

Yikes!! I see a fox from time to time. But they pretty much keep to themselves in this area. plenty of deer. They need to be taken out as they are all over the place. In people's yards and in the roads etc.

I think it only happened once to me but I opened a dumpster to throw something out and a fat ass raccoon was right there staring back at me. But I always see them running down the storm drains. Was just curious about what the hell they are doing down there.