Sign in to follow this  
Fireballer

Life/College advice for teens

At the end of college and just after utilize internships, co-op's and new graduate programs offered by many private corporations.  If you can get in there many times those places will pay for your masters degree.  

There’s a lot of sh1tty advice out there for teenagers. Teen Vogue at the top of the list but everything it seems is more leftist indoctrination.

If you want a good book for life advice to help teenage girls navigate today’s world, here’s what I bought for my daughter: 

https://www.amazon.com/What-Makes-Us-Girls-Worth/dp/0997202971

On 1/24/2021 at 4:10 PM, Fireballer said:

My oldest is a 10th grader right now.  She gets great grades, no sports, and does some extracurricular clubs and stuff.  I need some help giving her some life/school advice.  I know that we have alot of professional and HR geeks here that can give better advice than me.  My wife and I are both blue collar, and finished our degrees while working.

I just don't know what to tell her about college.  Really, how important is it what school someone goes to nowadays? We've got college costs pretty well in hand if she goes in state, but obviously out of state won't be cheap. I hear so many stories about kids not getting jobs in their respective areas of study and end up with a trade or work in retail, real estate, or something else you could actually do without a degree. Knowing what you know as a professional and through life experience, what advice would you give teens facing college decisions?  To me, at the end of the day, everyone has to back up their education with work ethic to be successful no matter what school you attended.

Before you settle on a major, have an idea of what the career path is.  Don't be a history major unless you plan on being a teacher or working in a museum.  You don't need a minor, but it wouldn't hurt to take electives that will equate to a management degree program.  If you want to change your major, a degree in management will always be a viable option.  A lot of businesses can teach about what they do with little effort, but being able to manage a group of people is how you get ahead.  Plus, if you stick with your major, having some management skills in your pocket would likely help.  When my son was going to school, they offered a 2-year degree program for Project Management.  He took his electives to meet the requirements to satisfy that degree.  When he finished with his bachelors degree, he went 1 more semester to finish the Project Management program.  A company who needed some younger people liked that he had that degree and hired him.  Within 3 years, he was a project manager and he's the assistant department manager.  He's making almost as much as me now.