Sign in to follow this  
Sean Mooney

Draft Season for Mooney

I decided to drop back a league this year with some family things happening this summer. Also, with those things I did not have nearly enough time to research but I wanted the distractions so I plowed ahead with leagues. I've done 3 drafts so far with 2 more to come. Over the next few posts I'll let you see where I'm at and then throw your arrows as you see fit.

Draft #1- I walked in with the 10th pick out of 12 teams. Ended up having Bijan Robinson fall to me. I like Robinson this year but I can see Arthur Smith being a about his usage. Either way I went

1- Bijan Robinson

2- Stefon Diggs

3- DJ Moore

4- Justin Fields

5- Miles Sanders

6- Javontae Williams

7- Mike Williams

8- Christian Kirk

9- Michael Thomas

10- Dalton Schultz

11- Nico Collins

12- De'Von Achane

13- Romeo Doubs

14- Gerald Everett

15- Commanders D

16- Jordan Love

This league always sucks because it is basically drafting against 8 wild cards who just go all over the place. There is never a consistent flow to the draft and at the back end or front end it is hard to control anything. But I think I've got an average team here coming out of the draft so I will need to do some work to replace a guy or two at the back of the rotations but there is some upside. I think I can steal a playoff spot here but the team feels really dependent on Robinson being special and the Bears offense jumping forward. 

Draft #2- This was a Superflex league. I've never done one of them for money and it changes draft strategy quite a bit. I followed advice from people here and tried to frontload the QB position. I tried to wait as long as I could on RB. Had the 9th pick out of 10. Some people stayed with fantasy chalk picks and it changed the draft board quite a bit.

1- Jalen Hurts

2- Justin Herbert

3- Jaylen Waddle

4- Devonta Smith

5-  Keenan Allen

6- DJ Moore

7- James Conner

8- Javontae Williams

9- Brandon Aiyuk

10- Khali Herbert

11- Dalton Schultz

12- Michael Thomas

13- Raheem Mostert

14- David Njoku

15- Jordan Love

16- Packers D

I'm pretty loaded at receiver and I like the QB situation. I grabbed Love at the end because I think he will be good and I think he will be valuable to someone later in the year. I'm mostly happy with how this draft turned out but it just feels like RB will be a problem. 

Draft #3- Half PPR league with 12 teams and I had the 9th pick here again. This is another one that is a little all over the place in the draft room but we do this one live so you can get a better sense of what is happening. I decided that with the way the board fell I was going to use the Hero RB situation for the most part.

1- Nick Chubb

2- Amon Ra St. Brown

3- Keenan Allen

4- Justin Herbert

5- Drake London

6- Dallas Goedert

7-  Jordan Allison

8- AJ Dillion

9- Antonio Gibson

10- Tank Bigsby

11- Juju Smith-Schuster

12- Chigoziem Okonkwo

13- Daniel Jones

14- Jacksonville

15- Greg Joseph

I liked the way this turned out and I think the hero RB strategy played off well here as I basically got 2 guys in splits and Bigsby who I think will get work but maybe not right away. I was bummed in that the one guy I was sitting near and chatting with stole picks from me- most notably Gainwell when I was at the Dillion pick because I would've been able to go Gainwell/Dillion and I liked that a little more than Dillion/Gibson.

Main takeaways:

- Got a lot of shares of the Chargers offense across my leagues so far. I usually bristle at that because I am a Chargers fan but I just think this is an offense that could score 450+ this year and will get into offensive shootouts all year long.

- I'm in on DJ Moore this year. Feels like a revenge year for him trying to prove the Panthers wrong and prove his worth to the Bears.

- I'm not in love with Javontae. I don't trust Payton to use him and I think Perine swipes carries there and vultures touchdowns. But Williams has the home run ability from outside the 20 so I'm counting on that a little.

- I wanted more Aiyuk and Olave in leagues but I only got the former in one and the latter got swiped from me before the Drake London pick in draft 3.

16 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

- I'm in on DJ Moore this year. Feels like a revenge year for him trying to prove the Panthers wrong and prove his worth to the Bears.

Such an amazing talent... why did he have to go to Chicago?  I'm not saying it won't work out, but not the best landing spot. Hopefully his talent can overcome that situation, and probably will to some extent. If Fields passing improves, maybe to a greater extent. 

Kirk in the 8th was theft. I also like Aiyuk. Think you'll be happily surprised with Doubs. Tank picks are nice.

Overall I think team 1 is most balanced, but Team 3... Chubb, St Brown, and Herbert - some of my favorite players this year. Nice job.

15 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

Perine swipes carries there and vultures touchdowns.

he might.  but he was in line to be a starting RB on other teams.  his problem (more than anything else) is he has butterfingers.  he's a fumbler.

if he has not resolved this issue, hes not swiping much.  Certainly not Goal line Carries.  If the fumbling issue remains, Javonte will get the carries even if hes less productive.

I could be wrong, but dont think I am.   not many NFL coaches are tolerant of a fumbling issue.