Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

2024 NFL Draft Profile - QB J.J. McCarthy

If the Patriots draft McCarthy at 3, I am picking a new team to root for.

7 minutes ago, edjr said:

If the Patriots draft McCarthy at 3, I am picking a new team to root for.

At that point the Patriots should trade out. Can you imagine drafting Mac Jones all over again? 

Everyone talks about what a great QB class this is, I don't see it. Huge question marks after Caleb Williams IMO. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Maximum Overkill said:

At that point the Patriots should trade out. Can you imagine drafting Mac Jones all over again? 

Everyone talks about what a great QB class this is, I don't see it. Huge question marks after Caleb Williams IMO. 

they do have a lot of holes elsewhere to fill.

problem with the pats O line.... lots of the players  on the pats O line were system dependant talents.   with Belicheck gone,  those guys are more or less useless because they wont likely be playing the same system.

That means a full overhaul of the line.

if someone offers the pats multiple firsts for their top pick they should take it, repair that leaky line.  even if the guys they draft take a year or two to come around the QB can be drafted next year.

Alternatively, you can draft that QB early, but you dont play him behind that leaky line.  you let him sit and learn until late in the season where you give him a start or two to see where he is at.

then next year your O line.

Thats an option.  but there is a decent chance this isnt what they will do.  teams always want to play their high first round pick early and ruin him.

I could see McCarthy having the best NFL career out of this class.  Elite talent coming out of HS as an IMG Academy product.  Got better as his collegiate career progressed.  Wasn’t asked to carry Michigan, nor did he need to, but stepped up in big games when he had to.  This kid will only get better with the right coaching.  Prototypical NFL size.  It all depends on where he lands.

honestly his scouting report doesnt look a whole lot different than Brady's did at this age.

people had a lot of the same questions about Brady as they do about him.    but hes a bit more athletic and runs more than Brady ever did.

Thats not to say hes gonna turn out to be like Brady, but thats the type of QB he needs to be to be successful with the skillset he has.   precision passer.   Hes not gonna win too many games with his feet like some of the other top prospects.   But as a QB he throws the ball well.

3 hours ago, Ray_T said:

they do have a lot of holes elsewhere to fill.

They could get an absolute haul for that pick, at least on paper. They should make the Vikings grossly overpay to get their guy. The Vikings are desperate. 

Imagine if they could get both Vikings first round picks this season and a #1 for next season. It's a lot but not impossible considering how many teams are in that QB mix. 

I don't see the Cardinals or Chargers trading out if Harrison and Nabers are sitting there. 

3 hours ago, JagFan said:

could see McCarthy having the best NFL career out of this class.  Elite talent

I don't see it but at the same time I wouldn't be terribly surprised. I would just like to of seen more dominance out of someone who had an elite offensive line and an elite running game. 

His advanced metrics don't jump off the page, but they should. 

1 hour ago, Maximum Overkill said:

I don't see it but at the same time I wouldn't be terribly surprised. I would just like to of seen more dominance out of someone who had an elite offensive line and an elite running game. 

His advanced metrics don't jump off the page, but they should. 

I actually like a lot of the film I have seen.

occasionally his deep ball floats a bit more than you'd like and that shows where a strong armed QB is preferred in some respects.

there were a couple of deep balls where the WR had to stop to prevent the ball from being underthrown.   but otherwise I liked his accuracy with tight windows, I liked a lot of his pre snap reads.

the one interception he shouldnt have thrown but at the same time the WR sort of telegraphed his cut (which led to the DB jumping the route).   my old football coach used to call it a banana route because he rounded the turn rather than making a sharper cut that can take the DB by surprise.

either way,  I am not absolving him of that INT.  but the WR needs to take some of the credit for that one.  if he runs a better route, the DB likely doesnt jump the route like he did.