Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

2024 NFL Draft Profile - WR Ladd McConkey

I think he may be able to play wide too.   I'm not certain of it.  but I think its possible.

as for the ratings, Most I think are fair.  But I'd rate him higher on ball tracking than you do. 

On the first case, (at 7:23 on your tape) it looks like he tracked the ball well enough to get both hands on the ball.  I dont know what more you can ask in terms of tracking.  the issue was that the throw was a bit ahead of him and he had to reach to make the catch.    I see you also had this categorized as a hands issue and I'd agree with that.

on the second case (at 11:22 on your tape)  you highligted as poor ball tracking, the ball was clearly overthrown.   He dove for the ball and fully stretched out his body and could only get fingertips on the ball.  but he fully knew where the ball was.  he just didnt have the wheels to catch up to the pass.   This combined with some of the other good cases where the ball was in some cases way off target and he adjusted to the ball to make the catch, I was quite impressed with.

but I am a bit concerned a bit about his hands.   this may or may not be coachable.   it looks like (for the most part) when he has to really reach for the ball his hands just are not as good.

but keeping in mind that QB's at the NFL level will be far more accurate than what we've seen on the tape, I think he should be ok.  He just probably is a #2 receiver (or a highly productive #3) and not a #1 WR.     Though I think there is that upside but I dont think its highly likely that he achieves that at the NFL level.

Horrible college production, only targeted 37 times last season and 30 receptions. 

That's pathetic. Get nervous when the production doesn't match the profile. 

Stay away, you're welcome in advance. 

1 hour ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Horrible college production, only targeted 37 times last season and 30 receptions. 

That's pathetic. Get nervous when the production doesn't match the profile. 

Stay away, you're welcome in advance. 

Injuries played a major role in his down year in 2023. But yeah, you'd still like to see more production.

10 minutes ago, The Football Guru said:

Injuries played a major role

Another red flag 

It was a back issue (reportedly a lower back sprain) mostly this year, which is not a red flag by itself. But still, I think it would be an outlier if he ends up being a Wes Welker type - as I have heard some suggest.

1 hour ago, The Football Guru said:

It was a back issue (reportedly a lower back sprain) mostly this year, which is not a red flag by itself. But still, I think it would be an outlier if he ends up being a Wes Welker type - as I have heard some suggest.

yeah, those kind of injuries usually mess you up.  you may come back in a few games but usually you are not fully able to perform until the next season.

not sure where hes projected to go, but he could certainly be one of those WR picked later who becomes a solid player.

I think a better QB and pro level coaching could work wonders for him.

• Like 1

Number three receiver of the draft. Behind Nabers and Odunze of course.

9 hours ago, LaChup said:

Number three receiver of the draft. Behind Nabers and Odunze of course.

given the body of work I wouldnt rank him that high but i feel he has significant potential that he has yet to fully unlock.

Hes definitely a potential starting WR and one you might be able to snag with a third round pick.