Sign in to follow this  
Stryker Ryker

Anyone have experience creating/running nonprofits?

I’m wanting to start a nonprofit in my state to help feed school kids lunch/pay their overdue balances. However I’m not sure how I start and I remember a few guys here have either created some or were on the boards of some. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance guys 

Yes. 

I was a part of a nonprofit start. up in 2021, ended up disbanding because it just did NOT work out and I found myself doing a lot of the work...but I digress. 

Research what kind of nonprofit you're going to have and what federal/state (501c) it falls under and what is required around that, bylaws, does it require an LLC or something else to be incorporated around that? Do you need a certain number of board members? Things like that. How are you going to get started money wise? Are you doing it grassroots, or do you need to have start up $? 

These may sound super basic, but it's really what got ours in trouble. The president of ours had some really lofty ideas and goals and wanted to go grassroots, well...those grassroots didn't really generate funds to get us going. I was the treasurer and had to come up with bylaws, accounting, and ended up contributing a lot of my own money towards the start up costs (which I did get back, but caused the Org to disband). Our president wanted to get started tomorrow on everything and didn't really give a lot of thought to how long a lot of this stuff can take. 

You can use something like legal zoom or whatever if you don't want to get a lawyer, most tax forms. you can file on your own for nominal fees and its' not  big deal. 

But my number one piece of advice is to do all your research, get all this shiiite figured out, then start up the nonprofit when you have it all ready. 

Yes. 
TNG gives good advice. I cannot give good startup advise as I became a board member in year 4 of an already established charity. 
Research where the money goes and do not donate to any charity that pays board members a salary. Never give to a GoFundMe type. Whenever there is a GFM that we feel is worth giving to we get to the source and give directly to that source. 

Get a 501 so you can be eligible for grant money.  Research and apply for grants, there is money out there.

Create a business plan.  Whatever start up money you think you need, double it.  Work local, hyper local, partner with local businesses.  Local businesses will help you in exchange for promotion.  Work social media.  Get volunteers from local corporations.

Don't do it all yourself.  Hero syndrome will doom you.

12 minutes ago, Ron_Artest said:

Get a 501 so you can be eligible for grant money.  Research and apply for grants, there is money out there.

Create a business plan.  Whatever start up money you think you need, double it.  Work local, hyper local, partner with local businesses.  Local businesses will help you in exchange for promotion.  Work social media.  Get volunteers from local corporations.

Ron runs a non-profit Tranny Story Hour 

11 minutes ago, Ron_Artest said:

He’s a doctor, professional athlete, sunglass model, and now philanthropist.  I’m sure he doesn’t have hero syndrome, he’s a true renaissance man.

Good for you if this is for real digby.  Just try not to tell the kids that can’t afford lunch that they’re losers and no one likes them and everyone is laughing at them like you constantly do to others.