Sign in to follow this  
torridjoe

Cutdown day in ONE WEEK; bench slots and keepers; dues

This message repeated at email stations around the globe!

Today is January 25th. 7 days from now, just before midnight, all teams must cut their rosters to no more than 3 players. The list of your players is to be posted in the official thread at the FFToday Board. If you have a change, please edit your original post--one per person.

IF YOU FAIL TO POST A LIST AS OF MIDNIGHT FEB 2, YOU WILL RECEIVE THE FIRST THREE PLAYERS ON YOUR ROSTER, ALPHABETICALLY.

Bill Swerski has received his players from the former Fancy Ketchup!, and is a full functioning member with access to the BOSMOSPOF site. Bill, you have only 24 players right now. If you wish, you may keep a player from the current list of free agents, but you must have him officially on your roster by the cutdown deadline.

I have tentatively set the date of the draft for Wednesday, March 13th at 9AM EST. We want to balance drafting as late as possible, with getting it finished before some owners are unavailable at the end of the month. Monday, March 11th might be more sensible. Please email me or post at FFToday if you have a preference.

In the interest of making it go by quickly, I suggest two nights that first week that are near-mandatory, for quick drafting. I suggest the first night, and two nights later. (So that would be the 11th and 13th, or 13th and 15th). Say from 830p - 11p EST.

If you are unable to attend by computer, it is hoped a contingency list will be supplied to Commish or a designated agent.

To my knowledge there are two issues to be resolved before the draft: bench slots for 2002 and beyond; and keepers for 2003 and beyond. The first issue stands currently at 5 votes for 5 bench slots, 3 votes cast for 4 slots. However, I consider abstentions to be "4 slots" votes, as they result in the status quo. So in reality, it's 8-5 for the same number as last year. But there are five owners yet to vote. Please go to the BOSMOSPOF board ASAP and answer the poll. When one or the other gets 7 votes, that's the adopted selection for 2002.

I say ASAP because we really also ought to resolve keepers even before Cutdown Day. Everybody's had a hard time choosing down to 3, but the downside of having more is that there is less fluidity and competition for players. You know I'm kind of a "distribute the wealth" guy, but I also enjoy roster stability and making hard choices on players.

I will go on record as supporting an increase to 4 keepers for next year. I am not strongly persuaded, however--I can see myself keeping 3, and I can see myself keeping 5, sort of. Beyond that I don't yet think I want to go.

If you have an opinon, please make it known ASAP. If the bench slot poll drags on much longer, I will post the official keeper poll at FFToday instead. Otherwise we'll use the BOSMOSPOF page.

Trading is allowed until 5 minutes before draft time. If you have draft picks traded, you must send them to be to have them become official. At no time after cutdown day, may your roster exceed 3 players. So you can't trade to end up with 4 players, even if you immediately make a trade to eventually end up with three. (Three way simultaneous trades are OK, as long as everybody ends up with no more than three players).

Dues are $25, and are payable to:

(address in email version only)

Please get them in before draft day if you can, certainly before the beginning of the season.

I got my Baseball Forecaster and Bill James' new book in the mail Wednesday. I'm getting very, very stoked. Make those cuts, boys!

TJ (Mark)

I think the draft should start on the 11th. Just makes sense to me to begin on a Monday i guess. Don't care about keeper numbers really, whatever people want is fine.

Night will work best for me, although i am very good with giving lists. This year, however, I will try to avoid that. If we can set a concrete block of time for night the first three days, say 2 hours a day, that wouldm be great.

My spring break starts the 15th I believe so I should be good all day then.

1. I vote for 5 person bench

anybody want to trade for the top draft pick?

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: szath ]

I propose that SzathLD5Er is himself an Islamic Militant who just so happens to enjoy said hot-oil-ball-stringing-upping.

We're essentially proposing to add a DL slot, Szath. The 5th bench slot, if it is adopted, is just another place to put somebody who's not active at the moment.

i'm up for an additional bench spot. always nice to take a flyer on a player and have it pay off. i'll work around any draft start, keep in mind some of us are on the left coast though...

Kudzu Keepers:

Tim Hudson

Pedro Martinez

Roberto Alomar