Sign in to follow this  
Vikings4ever

Alan Faneca: Pissed, says he's gone after this year

http://sports.excite.com/news/05112007/v2884.html

Upset Faneca Tells Steelers He's Gone After This Season

PITTSBURGH (AP) -Longtime star lineman Alan Faneca says he is through negotiating with the Pittsburgh Steelers, pushing them again Friday to trade him and promising he won't play for them past this season.

After what Steinbach, Dockery, and Leonard Davis got this offseason, Faneca will be getting a huge contract.

Hutchinson's contract will be looking pretty good. B)

http://sports.excite.com/news/05112007/v2884.html

After what Steinbach, Dockery, and Leonard Davis got this offseason, Faneca will be getting a huge contract.

Hutchinson's contract will be looking pretty good. B)

Would think that the Steelers would value a lineman like Faneca, guess not.

This is just one more case for players to stop redoing their deals to help out a team. McNair did it, and got the boot, not Faneca faces the situation of playing a season, knowing that if he gets hurt, he gets nothing next year.

Yeah, they're cheap bastards...

Which is a smart way of handling business in the cap era. Rather than giving massive contracts to RB's on the verge of 30 and coming off of huge workloads. Giving up 1sts and big contracts for merely above average WR's. etc, etc...

Which is a smart way of handling business in the cap era. Rather than giving massive contracts to RB's on the verge of 30 and coming off of huge workloads. Giving up 1sts and big contracts for merely above average WR's. etc, etc...

:thumbsup:

welcome to this era of football, where business meets loyalty. its always tougher in a city with fanbase like pittsburgh.

What the Seahawks do or don't do doesn't change the fact that the Steelers are cheap bastards...Way to screw over your best OLman. Yeah the other younger players know that when its their turn to be paid the Steelers will take care of them :rolleyes: B)

Faneca sounds like a whining pussy. I hate these guys that come out and talk in vague terms about how they aren't being respected and they aren't being treated fair. If you're so right, Alan, tell us what you're worth and tell us what you're being offered? He says, paraphrasing slightly, "After 9 years I've earned the right to be treated fairly ... it is wrong for them to not offer me some security B)" Well guess focking what! A. EVERYONE deserves to be treated fairly! Fair is relative, so you have no point here. B. You've been getting paid for 9 years too. If you don't have security by now you never will, asshead. And if you haven't been getting paid enough all this time why are you just now complaining? Fock Alan Faneca and his little media game. It's just not feasible for every team to re-up every productive player before they have 1 year left on their contract. He's on the wrong side of 30, he wants his pay to go up but his physical abilities are going to go down.

Faneca sounds like a whining pussy. I hate these guys that come out and talk in vague terms about how they aren't being respected and they aren't being treated fair. If you're so right, Alan, tell us what you're worth and tell us what you're being offered? He says, paraphrasing slightly, "After 9 years I've earned the right to be treated fairly ... it is wrong for them to not offer me some security :rolleyes:" Well guess focking what! A. EVERYONE deserves to be treated fairly! Fair is relative, so you have no point here. B. You've been getting paid for 9 years too. If you don't have security by now you never will, asshead. And if you haven't been getting paid enough all this time why are you just now complaining? Fock Alan Faneca and his little media game. It's just not feasible for every team to re-up every productive player before they have 1 year left on their contract. He's on the wrong side of 30, he wants his pay to go up but his physical abilities are going to go down.

Faneca, a nine-season veteran widely regarded as one of the NFL's top offensive linemen, said the Steelers' only offer to him wouldn't have made him one of the NFL's 10 highest-paid guards. Faneca will make $4.375 million this season in the final year of a contract worth $25.6 million in 2002, but was subsequently renegotiated to help the Steelers get under the salary cap.

B)

Faneca, a nine-season veteran widely regarded as one of the NFL's top offensive linemen, said the Steelers' only offer to him wouldn't have made him one of the NFL's 10 highest-paid guards. Faneca will make $4.375 million this season in the final year of a contract worth $25.6 million in 2002, but was subsequently renegotiated to help the Steelers get under the salary cap.

B)

Teams are going to pay based on what they need and what they can afford. There are a lot of guards out there right now making wayyyy too much money. (i.e. Derrick Dockery) So I really don't care if they are offering him top guard money right now. Faneca should STFU and next year he'll be a free agent and he'll get his payday. Right now he's not a free agent and he needs to just deal with that fact!

What the Seahawks do or don't do doesn't change the fact that the Steelers are cheap bastards...Way to screw over your best OLman. Yeah the other younger players know that when its their turn to be paid the Steelers will take care of them :rolleyes: B)

Ah, yes! Spoken like you have no knowledge of business.

Faneca sounds like a whining pussy. I hate these guys that come out and talk in vague terms about how they aren't being respected and they aren't being treated fair. If you're so right, Alan, tell us what you're worth and tell us what you're being offered? He says, paraphrasing slightly, "After 9 years I've earned the right to be treated fairly ... it is wrong for them to not offer me some security B)" Well guess focking what! A. EVERYONE deserves to be treated fairly! Fair is relative, so you have no point here. B. You've been getting paid for 9 years too. If you don't have security by now you never will, asshead. And if you haven't been getting paid enough all this time why are you just now complaining? Fock Alan Faneca and his little media game. It's just not feasible for every team to re-up every productive player before they have 1 year left on their contract. He's on the wrong side of 30, he wants his pay to go up but his physical abilities are going to go down.

I heard that the Steelers told him that they aren't going to offer him an extension/a new contract.

that's basically telling him "play this year at a pro bowl level, and next year, you are out on the streets"

I don't know about you, but I know that if I came into work 1 day and noticed that my name was off the schedule the next week, I'd confront them too, and you can best bet that I wouldn't give a damn about my job anymore.

I can't fault Faneca for that.... if it's true that the Steelers said they wouldn't give him an extension and this would be his last year with the organization.... that's like getting married and saying "by the way, in 5 years, we're getting a divorce".... not much incentive to make it work after those words are said, is there.

I heard that the Steelers told him that they aren't going to offer him an extension/a new contract.

that's basically telling him "play this year at a pro bowl level, and next year, you are out on the streets"

I don't know about you, but I know that if I came into work 1 day and noticed that my name was off the schedule the next week, I'd confront them too, and you can best bet that I wouldn't give a damn about my job anymore.

Did you sign a contract that only went through the end of this week? If so, I am confused as to why you would have such a bad attitude about it if your name wasn't on the schedule beyond the end of your contract.

Keep in mind also that being a great player in the NFL is not like a normal job. If he gets laid off by his team, so to speak, he will have no trouble getting another equally-good job with another team.

I can't fault Faneca for that.... if it's true that the Steelers said they wouldn't give him an extension and this would be his last year with the organization....

I understand a degree of anger on Faneca's part. Some guys get their contracts re-upped and some guys don't, it's not always fair. He's not the only guy in the league in the last year of his deal and he's not the only guy in the league playing for less money than other guys who aren't as good as him. But he is the one who is being the biggest baby about it. The right way to handle this is to take it up with the team privately. If you feel strongly enough about it, then hold out. But don't play this bitch game with the media, making vague complaints and acting like the team is personally out to get you. If I were Faneca, I would be disappointed to not have a long-term extension, but I have a huge problem with the way he is handling it, there is no good that can come of this, not for him, not for the team, not for the league.

that's like getting married and saying "by the way, in 5 years, we're getting a divorce".... not much incentive to make it work after those words are said, is there.

This is an even worse analogy than your first one, as marraiges have a completely different expectation in terms of continuance. "Through 2007" is very different than "til death do us part." Words cannot even convey to you how bad of an analogy that was.

Keep in mind also that being a great player in the NFL is not like a normal job. If he gets laid off by his team, so to speak, he will have no trouble getting another equally-good job with another team.

And if he suffers a career ending injury this season he won't be able to work in his field of expertise again and recoup his expected earnings.

But don't play this bitch game with the media, making vague complaints and acting like the team is personally out to get you.

It worked for Hines Ward. :cheers:

I can't fault Faneca for that.... if it's true that the Steelers said they wouldn't give him an extension and this would be his last year with the organization.... that's like getting married and saying "by the way, in 5 years, we're getting a divorce".... not much incentive to make it work after those words are said, is there.

So using your example, signing a 5 year contract is useless and provides no incentive? Man good thing you are not an agent, you would be signing all your guys to 50 year contracts.

What is wrong with a team not wanting to sign a player to an extension? It is totally up to the team to decide whether they want to move on and let his contract expire.

Where do you get this opinion that any player is entitled to a new contract whenever he says so.

And I don't know if you pay attention around the league, but there are lots of guys playing with only one year left on their contract. You just don't quit and :pointstosky: because you only have one year left on your contract.

Faneca signed his current contract and you didn't hear a peep out of him for 9 years when he was one of the highest paid players on the team and one of the highest paid guards in the league.

Teams like Cleveland, Buffalo and Dallas overpaid so much on average players who never made the pro bowl which has driven up the price tag on guards to near franchise QB status.

Faneca is gonna be 32 when he starts playing on his new contract. Steelers are smarter to put their big money in guys like Troy P (by the way who only has one year left on his contract but isn't sucking on his binky and wetting his diapers about it) and their franchise QB who's contract is coming up.

And by the way, when you sign a player you sign him for future success, not past success. He will be 32 years old on his next contract, sorry but there are only a few freak of nature football players who's play does not start a huge decline at that time of their career. Aside from QBs and WRs who don't nearly have the wear and tear of other positions that get tossed around every play.

there's nothing wrong with them letting his contract expire....

what's wrong was them telling him that they will not bring him back next year.

There is a degree of professionalism and personal pride that was crossed.

Tell Faneca that you'll look into an extension or some other BS, but don't straight up tell him that "you're out of here at the end of the season... ohh, and while you're at it, make sure you play at a pro-bowl level"

That's the ultimate b1tch from the steelers.

it he is to be outted at the end of the season, why even bother having him this season? Just trade him and at least get something out of him. He would at least understand that "that's the business side of things" instead of feeling rejected by the team.

Tell Faneca that you'll look into an extension or some other BS, but don't straight up tell him that "you're out of here at the end of the season... ohh, and while you're at it, make sure you play at a pro-bowl level"

it he is to be outted at the end of the season, why even bother having him this season? Just trade him and at least get something out of him. He would at least understand that "that's the business side of things" instead of feeling rejected by the team.

Actually (from what I read), they were trying to sign him for cheap, a contract that wouldn't make him one of the top 10 paid guards. He took that as an insult, so he basically told everyone, "they're not showing me the money, so I'm gone."

Actually (from what I read), they were trying to sign him for cheap, a contract that wouldn't make him one of the top 10 paid guards. He took that as an insult, so he basically told everyone, "they're not showing me the money, so I'm gone."

see, and I heard that the steelers told him that they weren't gonna give him a new contract.

IF they tried to sign him, and he wanted more money than they were willing to give, then yeah Faneca is being a b1tch.

however, if what I heard on the NFL Network is right, and they just told him that he wasn't in their plans next year, then the steelers are classless these days :pointstosky:

Your logic is just idiotic. Guys play on one year left on their contract all the time without a guarantee from a team that they will want to resign him next year. How do you think all these prized free agents become free agents. It's either by them playing their last year of a contract or the team just flat out cutting them.

Steelers DID NOT tell him they didn't want him back. That is Faneca's opinion about the contract they offered Faneca.

But whatever, your logic that a team can no longer own a player with one year left on his contract without promising him a fat contract next season is just plain stupid. There are tons of players every year playing the last year of their contract and sometimes their team doesn't even offer them a contract the year before they become a free agent.

And would you please not ignore the fact that Faneca signed this contract and was pretty darn happy to sign it when he did.

see, and I heard that the steelers told him that they weren't gonna give him a new contract.

IF they tried to sign him, and he wanted more money than they were willing to give, then yeah Faneca is being a b1tch.

however, if what I heard on the NFL Network is right, and they just told him that he wasn't in their plans next year, then the steelers are classless these days :pointstosky:

Faneca himself already said in his words something to the effect that the contract they offered him wouldn't put him high enough in the guard contract food chain.

NFL Network is just putting their own flavor on the story.

Faneca, 30, has one year left on his contract that will pay him another $3.375 million on top of the $1 million roster bonus he received in March. He wants a new contract that would pay him closer to the $7 million annually that other guards have received recently as free agents. He said the Steelers' offer is not even among the top 10 that NFL guards make.

If the Steelers do not believe he is going to be a top 10 NFL guard in 2008 and beyond (he turns 32 in the year 2008) it is smart to not pay him like one.

You pay a guy for future success, not past success.

Your logic is just idiotic. Guys play on one year left on their contract all the time without a guarantee from a team that they will want to resign him next year. How do you think all these prized free agents become free agents. It's either by them playing their last year of a contract or the team just flat out cutting them.

Steelers DID NOT tell him they didn't want him back. That is Faneca's opinion about the contract they offered Faneca.

So you were in the room or listening on the phone when the Steelers told this to Faneca, huh? So then you know first hand that the Steelrs are telling the truth and Faneca is a liar, huh?

talk about blind faith..oh and when you make blind assumptions like because you want that to be the way it went down, make sure you don't call someone else's logic idiotic. Big Pete was giving his opinion based on what was reported. You, however, are claiming to have first-hand knowledge when you do not. Talk about idiotic :pointstosky:

So you were in the room or listening on the phone when the Steelers told this to Faneca, huh? So then you know first hand that the Steelrs are telling the truth and Faneca is a liar, huh?

talk about blind faith..oh and when you make blind assumptions like because you want that to be the way it went down, make sure you don't call someone else's logic idiotic. Big Pete was giving his opinion based on what was reported. You, however, are claiming to have first-hand knowledge when you do not. Talk about idiotic :pointstosky:

I read the article when the writer said the following.

Faneca, 30, has one year left on his contract that will pay him another $3.375 million on top of the $1 million roster bonus he received in March. He wants a new contract that would pay him closer to the $7 million annually that other guards have received recently as free agents. HE SAID the Steeler's offer is not even among the top 10 that NFL guards make.

Read the article yourself, better yet read my post clearly before you go on a rant making yourself look ignorant as usual.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07132/785478-66.stm

My evidence is in what Faneca told reporters about how low the Steelers offer was.

Now stop stalking me and go worry about how your own franchise deals with their best lineman (oh wait they lost him with nothing in return). At lease when Faneca leaves, that will get the Steelers probably the highest supplement pick in the 2009 draft.

OK here is some more evidence for you stalker....an article stating the following:

Faneca, 30, said he and the Steelers have not had any discussions on a contract extension since February and called any offers they did make insulting .

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...s/s_507237.html

I don't know what other proof you want that there was an offer too low for Faneca's liking. Since you believe everything Faneca says, what point are you exactly trying to make because I have just presented proof again (you missed it the first time you read my post)? I am only referencing Faneca's synopsis. So I don't know what your point is?

Thanks for once again letting me make you look like a fool.

Anyone else find it ironic that Faneca was the highest paid Guard in the NFL when he signed his current contract?

Mr. Faneca what is your complaint? You are finishing the final year of the best contract of any Guard in the NFL at that time you signed it.

Boo hoo, get back to work.

All the different opions are very interesting but as we all grow older the same thing will happen to most of us. We will be replaced by younger cheaper people. It is a fact of life!

I would rather players just sit out, and watch lesser ones play, if it means ticket prices and vending prices will drop.

Screw them, they are already overpaid. :banana:

Trade him. A new head coach doesn't need disgruntled vets who do not want to be there.

Not many businesses out there that pay an employee $1 million in March, and then have that employee complain to the media the way he has done SINCE he got that bonus.

And if he suffers a career ending injury this season he won't be able to work in his field of expertise again and recoup his expected earnings.

If he is unable to play anymore, why should there be any "expected" earnings?

The guy has already made more than enough money to set himself up for a lifetime. I understand wanting to get paid what you think you're worth, and be shown that the team values your work, but needing "security" is a hollow complaint.

Link? I did not hear anywhere that the Steelers said that. I did hear that Faneca said he did not want to sign with Pittsburgh after this year is over.

The "business side of things" is that he's under contract now and he's an asset to the Steelers in that state. It's clear that Faneca doesn't understand the business side of things, but that's his fault, not Pittsburgh's.

I read the article when the writer said the following.

[

My evidence is in what Faneca told reporters about how low the Steelers offer was.

Now stop stalking me and go worry about how your own franchise deals with their best lineman (oh wait they lost him with nothing in return). At lease when Faneca leaves, that will get the Steelers probably the highest supplement pick in the 2009 draft.

Hmm so you believe everything you read in the newspapers too, huh? Yeah newspaper reporters are always on the up and up :banana:

Hutchinson left on his own terms. The Seahawks never had a chance to sign him. There's a difference between a player leaving on his own and a team failing to sign a player but I doubt you would understand the difference so I'll not try to explain it to you. :banana:

The Steelers are cheap bastards.

Hmm so you believe everything you read in the newspapers too, huh? Yeah newspaper reporters are always on the up and up ;)

Hutchinson left on his own terms. The Seahawks never had a chance to sign him. There's a difference between a player leaving on his own and a team failing to sign a player but I doubt you would understand the difference so I'll not try to explain it to you. :rolleyes:

The Steelers are cheap bastards.

So Hutchinson couldn't have been Franchise tagged by the Seahawks so they would get a first rounder in return?... or at least resigned him the year BEFORE he left. I really appreciate the good humor you provide day in and day. Yeah, Hutchinson never could have been offered a contract the year before last :cheers:

The Walrus and the front office screwed that up big time and EVERYBODY knows it.

And there is a difference between about losing a guard in his prime and losing a guard when he turns 32 in his first year of his new contract (2008).

Were the Steelers cheap when they signed Faneca the top $$$ guard contract in the NFL in 2002? :thumbsdown:

I bet the Steelers have resigned more of their own pro bowl players to at least one new contract than the Seahawks have even had play in the pro bowl during the cap years. (Hartings, Faneca, Bettis, Ward, Marvel Smith, Gildon, Porter, A. Smith, Farrior, , Carnell Lake, Lloyd, Woodson, Dermonti Dawson, Kirkland, etc) you get the point.

Didn't have a chance to sign him :lol: good one Hawker.