Sign in to follow this  
BigBBlue

6pt PASS TD

I'm in 4 leagues (so far), 2 have 6 point passing TDS.

League 1 - PPR 6pt Pass TD, -3 Int (5th pick of 10)

League 2 - Standard 6pt Pass TD, -1 Int (7th pick of 10)

Going by FFT QB projections, Rogers and Luck are 50pts ahead of Wilson/Manning, who are 15/30 (respective to leagues) ahead of 5+

In League 1, 3 QBs went in Round 1 last season (6,8,10) and 1 in the 2nd (17). I'm thinking at 5, we'll take Luck (or Rogers) as I expect 4 RBs to be off the board, and to be able to come back with solid value/depth round 2-8 at RB/WR. Pick 6 last year ran the table, Pick 10 was a Top 4 team, crumbled in the playoffs. Brees, Ball and Stacy doomed Pick 8 (me) to the cellar.

In League 2, Pick 7 QB - Finished 2nd (me), Pick 9 QB - cellar, Pick 10 QB - Won. I'm prepared to pick Rogers, as I think Luck will be gone. Should 2 QBs go, then I think I'll be fine grabbing a Top 5RB and Stud WR on the way back. II think if 2 go before my pick, 2 more will go before my next pick, and I'm not 100% sold on Wilson/Manning enough get them in the 2nd. Should they be there in the 3rd, I'll reconsider.

My gut, and some mock drafts tell me that the QB points for Luck/Rogers will make up for the dropoff. The -3 INT penalty seems to really make me want an "elite" QB. PPR just makes the WR pool deeper as well. In the standard league, I'm even higher on Luck/Rogers, and really expect one to drop to me at 7.

Crazy? Standard for 6 PA TD?

For me, the only difference 6 pt passing TDs gives is that it devalues rushing TDs for quarterbacks (ie Russell Wilson and Cam Newton). Other than that, it won't mess with rankings all that much

For me, the only difference 6 pt passing TDs gives is that it devalues rushing TDs for quarterbacks (ie Russell Wilson and Cam Newton). Other than that, it won't mess with rankings all that much

Completely agree, although it can give a slight increase in QB value. I generally lean a little more to getting a good TD QB earlier than I would otherwise. If somebody that can toss ~40+ TDs falls to me (other than 1st round), I generally grab him and then work to backfill the rest of my roster.

It increases qb value. A great qb can almost win you a game single handed. I wouldnt reach for a guy however. 1st round is a good spot for Rodgers and Luck. Its as safe a pick as you can get.

Have played in 6pt league for 9yrs and only teams with top teir qb have won. Other teams with lightning in a bottle have won once that was RG!!! roookie year I beleive. Non PPR.

Thanks. I hadn't considered the devaluing aspect of it. It must juggle them up in overall rankings, but down in the QB ranks.

Completely agree, although it can give a slight increase in QB value. I generally lean a little more to getting a good TD QB earlier than I would otherwise. If somebody that can toss ~40+ TDs falls to me (other than 1st round), I generally grab him and then work to backfill the rest of my roster.

Thank you. I think I'm always happier locking in a QB earlier, regardless of the league. With 6pt TDs, I'm likely to get one in the back half of the 1st.

It increases qb value. A great qb can almost win you a game single handed. I wouldnt reach for a guy however. 1st round is a good spot for Rodgers and Luck. Its as safe a pick as you can get.

Thanks. This is how I feel. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't completely insane.

Have played in 6pt league for 9yrs and only teams with top teir qb have won. Other teams with lightning in a bottle have won once that was RG!!! roookie year I beleive. Non PPR.

Thank you. Yeah, it seems that most of the playoff teams in the 6/-1 league have had top QBs. Some have gotten a big boost from mid-late round QBs outperforming ADP, I can't think of a "QB streamer' with success.

I agree that Luck/Rodgers gives a huge advantage. People always talk about not reaching for a QB in these leagues early but in my 6 years in the league year after year it is teams with the top QB that make it into the playoffs and win. I was lucky twice with rookies Newton and RG3 helping me advance. I also think there is a major drop off after Luck/Rodgers that makes them even more valuable this year.

If you hit paydirt with your later rb picks, you can have success with a first rnd qb. If you dont, your prob not even making the playoffs. One of my buddies last year went Calvin then Rodgers, barely won 5 games.

If you hit paydirt with your later rb picks, you can have success with a first rnd qb. If you dont, your prob not even making the playoffs. One of my buddies last year went Calvin then Rodgers, barely won 5 games.

That would have been because of taking Calvin in the first round, but not because of taking Rodgers in the 2nd round.

That would have been because of taking Calvin in the first round, but not because of taking Rodgers in the 2nd round.

Calvin was being taken in rnd 1 around pick 6-8 in almost 100% of all drafts. The point is that by going wr and then qb, it forced him to hit paydirt on later rbs, I forget who they were. But even having the MVP of the league on the team wasnt enough to make up for lack of production elsewhere. Also its fantasy wich is 80% luck so I forget how many games he lost by 1 point or scored 2nd best that week.

I agree that Luck/Rodgers gives a huge advantage. People always talk about not reaching for a QB in these leagues early but in my 6 years in the league year after year it is teams with the top QB that make it into the playoffs and win. I was lucky twice with rookies Newton and RG3 helping me advance. I also think there is a major drop off after Luck/Rodgers that makes them even more valuable this year.

Thanks. That's the way I'm leaning. If I thought the top 2 QBs would be there in the 2nd, I'd go Stud RB/WR first. As it is, I just don't see that happening. Most of the playoff teams hit big with a midround pick that outperformed ADP, as well as no duds in the first few rounds.

It's relative though. I'm always leery of folks that find a trend in winning a league by drafting position X earlier than everyone else.

The only constant I've ever seen in who typically wins a league, is that owner that happened to draft a guy in round 6-8 that performed like a round 1 talent.

So while this teams may have won with an "elite" QB (which if they have a top 5 QB or almost half a 12 man league...they have an elite QB) I'd venture to guess they had that late round guy who played exceptionally well and it was THAT guy who won it.

It's relative though. I'm always leery of folks that find a trend in winning a league by drafting position X earlier than everyone else.

The only constant I've ever seen in who typically wins a league, is that owner that happened to draft a guy in round 6-8 that performed like a round 1 talent.

So while this teams may have won with an "elite" QB (which if they have a top 5 QB or almost half a 12 man league...they have an elite QB) I'd venture to guess they had that late round guy who played exceptionally well and it was THAT guy who won it.

Yea it was def CJ anderson or Hillman and not their qb that won it. I saw teams with Rodgers and 2 stud wrs miss the playoffs last year.

Yea it was def CJ anderson or Hillman and not their qb that won it. I saw teams with Rodgers and 2 stud wrs miss the playoffs last year.

Thanks. I was thinking that this year, there are 2 QBs that are much more likely to be 'elite' and yes, there are 2 or 3 more that might be comparable by the end of the season. Those 2 or 3 more would be the same as the guy in round 6-8 to outperform the ADP.

With my PATD 4 leagues... I'll be waiting on QBs.

Question is, with PATD 6, does that increase the top QBs enough to draft them in the mid-late first? Does the INT penalty change things? Neither is -2, which I assumed was STD.

Thanks. I was thinking that this year, there are 2 QBs that are much more likely to be 'elite' and yes, there are 2 or 3 more that might be comparable by the end of the season. Those 2 or 3 more would be the same as the guy in round 6-8 to outperform the ADP.

With my PATD 4 leagues... I'll be waiting on QBs.

Question is, with PATD 6, does that increase the top QBs enough to draft them in the mid-late first? Does the INT penalty change things? Neither is -2, which I assumed was STD.

According to FFT stats:, all other scoring being equal in 2014:(using NFL.com scoring for 6 pt leagues and Yahoo scoring for 4pt leagues)

6pt passing TD leagues

QB1 outscored QB6 by 4.1 points per game ( Luck 26.9 ppg vs Roethlisberger 22.8 ppg)

QB1 outscored QB12 by 6.3 points per game( Luck 26.9 ppg vs EManning 20.6 ppg)

4pt per passing TD leagues

QB1 outscored QB12 by 3.5 point per game (Luck 22.9 ppg vs Roethlisberger 19.4 ppg)

QB1 outscored QB12 by 5.2 point per game (Luck 22.9 ppg vs EManning 17.7 ppg).

In 6pt passTD leagues, the difference between the very best QB and QB6 (currently Roethlisberger has an ADP of 5.11 in 12 team drafts) is 4.1ppg. The difference between the very best QB and QB 12 (currently ADP of 9.01) is 6.3 ppg.

In 4pt passTD leagues he difference between the very best QB and QB6 (currently Roethlisberger has an ADP of 5.11 in 12 team drafts) is 3.5ppg. The difference between the very best QB and QB 12 (currently ADP of 9.01) is 5.2 ppg.

IMO if you believe waiting on QBs in 4 pt leagues is a viable strategy, than i cant see a reason to change that opinion for 6 pt leagues. The difference in the differences between elite QBs and QBs taken later just isnt different enough to warrant taking a QB early at the expense of a yop WR or RB.

• Like 1

To follow up on that... Assume we could take RB3 or RB3, WR5 or WR10?

I will have to run a theoretical mock both ways

QB1, Flex13 (assume top 6 RB, Top 6WR gone), F23, F33, F43

vs

F5, F15, F25, F35, QB7

sound about right?

And that's exactly why the primary, if only, difference in a 6pt passing league is that it devalues running TDs for QBs.

Russell Wilson had quite a few red zone rushing TDs last season. Those are no longer an advantage over the QB that throws it in. Yeah it might only be a few, but it adds up sometimes