Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - WR Tyler Boyd, Bengals

Cincinnati took a little bit of flak for taking a defensive back (William Jackson III) in Round 1, but the Bengals trusted their board and reaped the rewards one round later by grabbing the receiver that broke many of Larry Fitzgerald's records at Pittsburgh. Boyd isn't particularly flashy, but much like Josh Doctson and Laquan Treadwell, he gets the job done in a silky-smooth manner. Better yet, he figures to be every bit as good if not better than the two receivers Cincinnati lost in free agency - Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu. With the Bengals, he figures to begin 2016 as the clear No. 2 receiver and should never see safety help on his side of the field for as long as A.J. Green and Tyler Eifert are healthy. Boyd is sure handed (10 drops in 374 targets for his career) and plays bigger than his 6-1, 197-round frame would indicate. Boyd should be considered in the same WR4 range Jones would have been had he stayed in the Queen City for redraft purposes, and he should be considered as mid-to-late first-round option in rookie drafts.

They needed this pick to fill the void .

I wanted them to take Doctson or Treadwell and was disappointed when they both went just before they were on the board. But I am reasonably satisfied that this kid will be okay. The scouting reports I read suggest this kid may be pro ready and could possibly start right away as the #3 WR and may move into the #2 slot by year end. I'm excited about the pickup. I think Dalton will be too.

He was a very good pick .

the scouting report says he is quick off the ball, and can change direction at full speed with full balance and body control. He runs sharp routes and can get himself open. Consistently gains separation and has elite level ball skills. Also tracks the deep ball exceptionally well and will reach the ball at the apex on the leap. As a result, he wins most of the 50-50 situations against DB's.

His weakness is much the same as that of Treadwell. Hes not a burner. He does not have top end speed.

He also had a DUI during the 2015 offseason which likely caused him to be drafted later than he'd otherwise be.

from what I can see, his slower speed, excellent ball skills and good hands makes him a excellent candidate to play the slot, but he could emerge as a Crabtree type player on the other side of AJ green if all goes well for him.

I dont think he will ever be a true #1, but could be an excellent #2 WR where you have a speedster (or stud) on the other side. Now looking at the situation in Cinci, this is exactly the situation he is in. AJ Green will get all the attention, so I think the opportunity is there for this kid.

• Like 1

from what I can see, his slower speed, excellent ball skills and good hands makes him a excellent candidate to play the slot,

Indeed.

. CIN - Tyler Boyd likely to open season in slot

Source: The Cincinnati Enquirer - Jim Owczarski

Cincinnati Bengals WR Tyler Boyd will get chance to earn immediate playing time, according to new offensive coordinator Ken Zampese.

The Bengals have A.J. Green and (for now) Brandon LaFell on the outside at WR. LaFell will likely end up disappointing them (like he does at every stop), so Boyd's role may grow from a WR3 to a WR2 for the team. For fantasy purposes, think of the rookie as a WR6 with upside.

As a wr6 I would hope there would be upside

Theres lots of upside with this kid.

but for fantasy purposes, I suspect he wont come out strong out of the gate.

It will probably take a handful of games for him to Learn the offense. I figure by the second half of the season he will be a solid WR3 for fantasy purposes.

You may even be able to give him spot starts when he has a good matchup.

I'd draft him as a WR5.

My guess as to the breakdown of definites who will make the roster for the Bengals WR/TE group. The remaining bunch of James Wright, Jake Kumerow, Mario Alford and Brandon Tate are all fighting for crumbs. I'd love to see James Wright come back from that knee surgery as he was really showing some skills before he went down. But the guy I really want to see is Cody Core. I remember watching highlights of his pro day and a bunch of the scouts mentioned that it looked he was the guy everyone should have been there to see, not Treadwell. Early reports out of Cinci have backed that up.

AJ Green

Brandon Lafell

Tyler Boyd

Cody Core

Tyler Eifert

Tyler Kroft

CJ Uzomah

Ryan Hewitt - Hback

I won't be taking him in redraft...

I value him mid first round in dynasty rookie drafts; I like the guy long term...

well, hes a RB5 or priority waiver wire pickup this year.

more likely a player to watch or a player to pickup and stash on your roster if you have the roster size that allows it.

I dont think anyone is expecting a 1000 yard season.