Sign in to follow this  
Mr Anonymous

How the fock?

Since I could become a brain surgeon quicker than I could figure out our scoring system, I'm not sure how to make out the fact that my Dallas defense scored a (-5)?

They gave up 9 points in damn near 5 quarters of play and that earns them negative 5 points?

I have no idea if there was an error or not, but if there wasn't...the scoring for defenses at the very least is something we need to look at for next year. Here I am choosing the Dallas defense this week for the specific purpose of targeting a game they would allow few points. They end up allowing a mere 9 points, in overtime no less, and I come away with negative 5?

Look at the scoreboard. How many games in the NFL have teams scoring under 10? I bet it happens less than 5% of the time. I get my defense to pull it off and I actually lose points?

WTF? :P :confused: :D

Cowboys, Dallas DAL TM

at Cardinals Sun 4:15 p.m. EDT

2 points for 69 Kick Return Yardage

2 points for 1 Fumble Recoveries

2 points for 1 Sacks

-1 point for 9 Opponent Offensive Points Only

-3 points for 228 Total Net Yards Passing Allowed

-3 points for 152 Total Net Yards Rushing Allowed

-2 points for 44 Opponent Punt Return Yardage

-2 points for 61 Opponent Kick Return Yardage

Originally posted by thedanzone:

Cowboys, Dallas DAL TM

at Cardinals Sun 4:15 p.m. EDT

2 points for 69 Kick Return Yardage

2 points for 1 Fumble Recoveries

2 points for 1 Sacks

-1 point for 9 Opponent Offensive Points Only

-3 points for 228 Total Net Yards Passing Allowed

-3 points for 152 Total Net Yards Rushing Allowed

-2 points for 44 Opponent Punt Return Yardage

-2 points for 61 Opponent Kick Return Yardage

See just as I suspected, our scoring system absolutely BLOWS!!!

I fully accept that this is the scoring system and for now I have no choice but to live with it. But next year... :mad:

-1 point for giving up only 9 points? :mad:

-3 points 228 passing yards :mad:

(228 yards passing is not that bad)

-2 points for 44 yards punt return yardage :mad:

(44 measley yards in a game that went OT loses me 2 points. If the Dallas offense has to punt 20 times, how is that a reflection on the Dallas defense)

-2 points for 61 kick return yards :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

(That is absolutely absurd!! 61 yards cumulative on kickoff return is actually holding their returns down!!!)

No matter how you add it up, a defense allowing only 9 friggin points, and ending up scoring a -5 is absurd.

I know how to fix this...

I'll give you Tampa Bay's defense for McNabb!

If your post revealing the scoring system hadn't gotten me so irate, I might have been able to joke about this.

Guys,

I agree that the scoring system needs some tweaking and we can do that in the offseason. Just remember your ideas, so when I ask everyone what they want to change (fix) I will get some responses.

Originally posted by Lord of the flies:

Guys,

I agree that the scoring system needs some tweaking and we can do that in the offseason.  Just remember your ideas, so when I ask everyone what they want to change (fix) I will get some responses.

Excellent.

Tweaking the scoring for defenses will be my first suggestion.

Originally posted by Mr Anonymous:

Excellent.

I would need some compensation to allow this to happen.

Sure I have the two best defenses and then we decide to change the system! :mad:

COMPENSATION I SAY

I would need some compensation to allow this to happen.

Sure I have the two best defenses and then we decide to change the system!   :mad:

COMPENSATION I SAY

Maybe I will give you the Washington defense...FOR FREE!!!!

<"FOR FREE!!!" was done in my best Matthew Lesko voice/>

Excellent.

I've been doing my best to refrain all season, but since someone else brought it up, I'll say that I too think this system is totally bunk. No way there should be such a wide range of scores by defenses. I've seen some darn good defensive performances get squat, while other so-so performances end up being a team's highest scorer.

I agree about the defensive scoring. I did some whining about this last month, but there's bound to be some stuff messed up during our first year. One prob, after I take the championship (and crush Dan's team in the process :mad: ), I don't think any of you guys will be back next year!!!

Originally posted by Proteus71:

I agree about the defensive scoring.  I did some whining about this last month, but there's bound to be some stuff messed up during our first year.  One prob, after I take the championship (and crush Dan's team in the process   :mad: ), I don't think any of you guys will be back next year!!!

:mad: :mad: BRING IT!!!! :mad: :mad:

Maybe I will give you the Washington defense...FOR FREE!!!!

<"FOR FREE!!!" was done in my best Matthew Lesko voice/>

LOL...I love the Matthew Lesko reference!

The defensive / ST scoring sucks.

Originally posted by Jetdoc:

It's all a level playing field, so who cares?

So because the scoring is the same for everyone, it would be perfectly fine if passing tds were worth 50 points? :confused:

The point is the scoring of defenses is way out of whack. It makes it damn near impossible to forecast the performance of your defense and choose between 2 to pick from when submitting a lineup. I chose Dallas anticipating a low-scoring game. I was right on, yet they mananged to earn -5.

Here is undeniable proof that our scoring system is absurd and completely out of whack:

Defense scores for week 7:

Dallas (-5)

Washington (-1)

Washington -1!!! Did anyone happen to catch the Redskins/Packers game this weekend? The Packers lit em up to the tune of 30 points!!! Dallas holds Arizona to 9 in 5 quarters of play and they score 4 points worse?

I may as well pick a defense out of a hat.

BTW, the Power Poll is delayed until Wednesday evening in case anyone is wondering.

[ 10-22-2002: Message edited by: Mr Anonymous ]

So because the scoring is the same for everyone, it would be perfectly fine if passing tds were worth 50 points?     :confused:

The point is the scoring of defenses is way out of whack. It makes it damn near impossible to forecast the performance of your defense and choose between 2 to pick from when submitting a lineup. I chose Dallas anticipating a low-scoring game. I was right on, yet they mananged to earn -5.

Here is undeniable proof that our scoring system is absurd and completely out of whack:

Defense scores for week 7:

Dallas (-5)

Washington (-1)

Washington -1!!! Did anyone happen to catch the Redskins/Packers game this weekend? The Packers lit em up to the tune of 30 points!!! Dallas holds Arizona to 9 in 5 quarters of play and they score 4 points worse?

I may as well pick a defense out of a hat.

BTW, the Power Poll is delayed until Wednesday evening in case anyone is wondering.

[ 10-22-2002: Message edited by: Mr Anonymous ]

Thats exactly correct. Team Defenses (and even IDPs to some extent) are pretty luck oriented as it is, but our system makes it even worse. Its annoying when you put together a solid well rounded team, and get beat 3 times by big defensive scores that pretty much come out of nowhere. I've had 4 loses, 3 of which the defenses I played scored a total of 87 points: 29 ppg. (Incidentally, the fourth loss was a 52 point game by Alexander) That many points by a defense really hurts, when its basically a crap shoot when it comes to predicting such performances. In my opinion defenses should be in the 5-20 points per game range. Similar to a starting WR. Anyway... Thats just my thoughts.

PS. I'd be in favor of moving to an IDP format.