Sign in to follow this  
Mike MacGregor

Projection Pal

What version of Excel are you using Mojo?

And when you delete that highlighted portion, and try it again, does it work then?

Well, all that is supposed to be doing is taking out the ® symbols we use in the Compiler to identify rookies so the names will match up from the projections imported. Try removing that, and re-running it. This is the first I've heard of this issue from anyone so I'm still unsure what would be causing it.

Is the Compiler filename specified in Projection Pal identical to the Compiler filename you are trying to add projections to, including the .xls on the end of the filename?

I took out the section and the compiler seems to import that data okay but then I get the same error report and the debugger shows the following lines highlighted

Selection.Replace What:="#N/A", Replacement:="", LookAt:=xlPart, _

SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, _

ReplaceFormat:=False

What version of Excel?

My guess is one of those find/replace options, that probably doesn't make much difference, is not working in some versions of Excel. I just need some guidance on what version of Excel people have so we can try to isolate it.

FYI piimauna, what that part is doing is, after the projections are copied to the Compiler from Projection Pal, it highlights the whole section and takes out all cells that show up #N/A. You could do that manually by using the Edit > Replace option in Excel. Input #N/A in the "find" box and leave the "replace" box blank.

What version of Excel are you using Mojo?

And when you delete that highlighted portion, and try it again, does it work then?

I'm using Excel 2000 (9.0.2720). The problem still exists.

Also, after importing projections from other sites, which works fine, there are some #N/A on the clean sheets. QB Clean has Peyton and Daunte as #N/A. How do I fix that?

What version of Excel?

My guess is one of those find/replace options, that probably doesn't make much difference, is not working in some versions of Excel. I just need some guidance on what version of Excel people have so we can try to isolate it.

I am using Microsoft Excel 2000

Try this:

1. Change this :

Selection.Replace What:=" ®", Replacement:="", LookAt:=xlPart, _

to:

SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False

2. Change this:

to:

3. Change this:

Selection.Replace What:="#DIV/0!", Replacement:="", LookAt:=xlPart, _

to:

Essentially you are just deleting the parts at the end of these find/replace functions:

, SearchFormat:=False, _

Let me know if that works (runs all the way through the macro without an error - just do the QBs as a test) and then I'll make the change to the download file. Thanks for the help trying to figure this out.

Mojo - I believe on mine some players came up #N/A on the Clean sheet until the point they copy over to the Compiler, so lets get through this first issue and then we'll check into this and make sure it is working okay.

Try this:

1. Change this :

to:

2. Change this:

to:

3. Change this:

to:

Essentially you are just deleting the parts at the end of these find/replace functions:

, SearchFormat:=False, _

Let me know if that works (runs all the way through the macro without an error - just do the QBs as a test) and then I'll make the change to the download file. Thanks for the help trying to figure this out.

Mojo - I believe on mine some players came up #N/A on the Clean sheet until the point they copy over to the Compiler, so lets get through this first issue and then we'll check into this and make sure it is working okay.

Looks like that worked!! Thanks!!!

Guys...make sure you line up the headers (yellow) with the colums. Some are not the correct heading for the imported stats...

Cool. I will make those changes and upload a new file.

On the column headers, yes, that is the user's responsibility to change those because Projection Pal cannot identify which stats are which (and they could come in any order from various other websites).

is it possible to use projection pal to imput projections from a paysite if you have access to it?

Since I don't use any pay sites I can't say first hand. However, I don't see why it wouldn't. I'm waiting for one of you guys to tell me :lol:

I don't think ESPN is possible because they seem to be using some web technology that is not a typical HTML table. Perhaps CBS has the same thing? You can tell if it is or not by trying to highlight the data, choosing Edit > Copy and then Edit > Paste to try and paste it into a blank Excel sheet.

If you can do that, then maybe that is another way to do it. Skip the web import function all together. Just copy the data into Projection Pal's position "raw" sheet, identify each stat category using the headings and then use the Copy to Compiler button to move the data to the Compiler.

Since when is CBS a pay service? Were they last year?

I thought the CBS projections were only available if you pay for their service, but that may not be right.

I definitely can copy and paste their stats into Excel. I'll try it out and report back.

Mike,

Love the new tool. It's working great. Quick (and possibly stupid) question...

You have buckets for "Site B" and "Site C" in the compiler. If we wanted to add more "sites", how would we go about doing that?

Thanks!

There are not more areas for sites than A, B and C, with A being reserved for FF Today projections. The reason there aren't more is because the file would get way too big to manage. Couple things you can do though:

1. Copy and paste your site B or C projections over top the past stats that are in there, if you don't want to use the past stats. Treat the past stats like an additional projection area. This is probably the best method. If you take out all the past stats it gives you room for 4 more sites - 2004 2h, 2004, 2003, 2002.

2. Make a second copy of the Compiler file, using File > Save As, and changing the filename. Then you can pull in projections into each, average them however you like, and do some copying and pasting to get the averages into a single master Compiler file which will be the main one you work from.

Projection Pal came together better than I could have hoped. I'm glad people like it and aren't having too many issues using it.

http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/index....ype=projections

http://www.fflpros.com/

http://www.profantasysports.com/

http://www.fftoolbox.com/

http://www.fantasytailgate.com/

http://www.fantasysportscentral.com/

http://www.thehuddle.com/

http://www.pigskinaddiction.com/

http://www.fantasyfootball.com/

http://www.footballdiehards.com/

http://www.askthecommish.com/

these are a few site I look at some more than others...but several of the have projections that might be useful

Also this site provides links to a bunch of sites some I have not even looked at...check it out at your leisure

http://www.ffbookmarks.com/

Hope these help in sme way

is it possible to use projection pal to imput projections from a paysite if you have access to it?

Since I don't use any pay sites I can't say first hand. However, I don't see why it wouldn't. I'm waiting for one of you guys to tell me :headbanger:

Apparently it doesn't work with KKFL's projections. I get a macro error with the following code highlighted:

.WebDisableRedirections = False

I use Excel 2000.

Delete that line packattack and then try it again. Some of those options shouldn't make any difference either way but could be causing some compatibility issues.

Delete that line packattack and then try it again. Some of those options shouldn't make any difference either way but could be causing some compatibility issues.

That took care of the macro error but since I seem to get that same error no matter which web page I try to import from, free or pay, will I need to delete that line that every time I try to import?

That aside, KFFL's data did not import, perhaps because they split the players names into 2 columns, one for first name and one for last name.

I think I included an option for that. Check the heading drop downs and you can select one column as First Name and another as Last Name. It should work. Of course, I never came across a website that did that to test it myself. Let me know if that is where the hangup is.

If you continue to have an error on the web query part, follow the step where I mention right-click and edit query so you manually select the table you want, and import from there. Or as suggested a few posts ago, copy the table off the web and paste it in Projection Pal. Then fill in the headings, and Copy to Compiler button.

I think I included an option for that. Check the heading drop downs and you can select one column as First Name and another as Last Name. It should work. Of course, I never came across a website that did that to test it myself. Let me know if that is where the hangup is.

If you continue to have an error on the web query part, follow the step where I mention right-click and edit query so you manually select the table you want, and import from there. Or as suggested a few posts ago, copy the table off the web and paste it in Projection Pal. Then fill in the headings, and Copy to Compiler button.

I still get that VB error that I previously described for whether for free or pay sites, so I always have to remove the offending line from the script. But once I do that and then edit the web query to get the table that I want, it imports ok. The value of this tool is in copying the data (once it's been cleaned up) to the Compiler all at once. That's a lot better than having to copy each column for each position individually. Thanks.

Hey Mike,

I don't know if you can help me out with it at all, but here's my Projection Pal problem:

First, I'm getting that run-time error 438. So I followed your instructions in number 6, and I get this error:

"This external data range contains data from a web query. Web queries can not be edited."

I'm running Excel 2004 (on a Mac), so I'm wondering if I just cannot do this (i.e., if my version of Excel is just incapable of helping me with that).

So then I tried to simply copy the info onto the projection pal off the websites, but I'm not getting them to copy over into the compiler. Nor are they copying into the QB data (the worksheet next to the raw data one) in the Projection Pal itself. Is it impossible to manually copy and paste the tables into the page like this?

If all else fails, I can enter the stuff as I did last year, it actually doesn't take all that long (in fact, if I had just done it rather than fooling around with the PP, I'd probably be done by now...but oh well).

Thanks for your help.

M

Guest chazzmani

Why can't I download the Projection Pal? I am a registered user of the site and I purchased the Compiler. What's up?

Guest calberta

Haven't gotten all the way through the thread but please take a look at CBS sportsline projections. The only problem I found last year with importing other projections was that they were not updated regularly like yours and therefore did not reflect injuries, etc.

here is the link to the position player stats. The D and K can be found by changing the drop down selection. I think you may need to register for their site to get this info but as far as I know it is still free.

http://nsfl2000.football.sportsline.com/st...ions:p/standard

Hey Mike,

I don't know if you can help me out with it at all, but here's my Projection Pal problem:

First, I'm getting that run-time error 438. So I followed your instructions in number 6, and I get this error:

"This external data range contains data from a web query. Web queries can not be edited."

I'm running Excel 2004 (on a Mac), so I'm wondering if I just cannot do this (i.e., if my version of Excel is just incapable of helping me with that).

So then I tried to simply copy the info onto the projection pal off the websites, but I'm not getting them to copy over into the compiler. Nor are they copying into the QB data (the worksheet next to the raw data one) in the Projection Pal itself. Is it impossible to manually copy and paste the tables into the page like this?

If all else fails, I can enter the stuff as I did last year, it actually doesn't take all that long (in fact, if I had just done it rather than fooling around with the PP, I'd probably be done by now...but oh well).

Thanks for your help.

M

SRM - Excel should be capable of copying most HTML tables into a spreadsheet and keeping the data in its own columns. The formatting might look funny but that doesn't really matter.

The tab you want to copy data into is the appropriate position raw tab. And then once in there change the headings, input the first and last player row numbers and run the Copy to Compiler function.

I did this tonight and it worked great.

Do you find with a Mac you have to have the Compiler and Projection Pal both open at the same time when you run the Copy to Compiler function?

Why can't I download the Projection Pal? I am a registered user of the site and I purchased the Compiler. What's up?

Hi chazzmani. If you purchased the Compiler and Draft Buddy, then on the same member page you logged in to download them, Projection Pal download links are just a little further down the page.

Haven't gotten all the way through the thread but please take a look at CBS sportsline projections. The only problem I found last year with importing other projections was that they were not updated regularly like yours and therefore did not reflect injuries, etc.

here is the link to the position player stats. The D and K can be found by changing the drop down selection. I think you may need to register for their site to get this info but as far as I know it is still free.

http://nsfl2000.football.sportsline.com/st...ions:p/standard

True. If you have a late draft, and other projection sites are not being updated, then it certainly lessens the value of those projections.

I couldn't access the projections calberta. It says it is a link to a private fantasy league.

Hey Mike,

Thanks for your help.

M

SRM - Excel should be capable of copying most HTML tables into a spreadsheet and keeping the data in its own columns. The formatting might look funny but that doesn't really matter.

The tab you want to copy data into is the appropriate position raw tab. And then once in there change the headings, input the first and last player row numbers and run the Copy to Compiler function.

I did this tonight and it worked great.

Do you find with a Mac you have to have the Compiler and Projection Pal both open at the same time when you run the Copy to Compiler function?

Hey Mike,

Good news, I got it to work. (Sorry for taking so long to reply...)

This was the problem:

Althought I was copying the data in, it was listed LastName, FirstName. Despite selecting that from the menu above, the PP just wouldn't recognize it. So I copied the list of names into another excel worksheet, switched it to FirstName LastName, and everything worked fine.

To answer your other question, with the Mac, you do need to have both files open at once, otherwise Excel won't find the Compiler. (The same thing goes for setting up the Draft Buddy.)

Anyway, looks like it all works now. Thanks for the help.

~M

Guest lildawg99

I tried to bring in stats from Fox Sports. Once I put the web page address in, and clicked update projections it imported an empty page. Why did this happen and can you help me out? :thumbsup:

Your product is amazing considering I've been keeping track of my draft stuff on paper, with highlighters. This technology is dangerous in the hands of someone who is not computer saavy. :headbanger:

Hi lildawg. If you got the web query to apparently do something with no error, but it shows a blank page, then try the troubleshooting step 6 in the instructions.

Troubleshooting Step

6. If the projections appeared on the tab in Projection Pal (they should appear below and to the right of the

grey highlighted cells), proceed to step 7. If the projections did not appear on the tab, do this:

> Click on the cell at intersection 1:1 (referring to the grey highlighted cells; actually cell B9 in Excel),

right-click with your mouse and select Edit Query.

> You should see a box appear which brings up a webpage of the projections you are trying to import. There

will be various yellow arrow and green checkmark icons on the page indicating web tables. Uncheck all of the

checkmarks. Check only the arrow for the table of player projections you want to import. Click the Import

button. Now the projections should appear.

You know, I think what I'm going to start suggesting more and more is for people to skip the web query function and just copy and paste the projections into Projection Pal. Then follow the remaining steps to pull the projections into the Compiler. From some recent testing this has worked really well for me.

anybody want to share there projection pal....I have played and tried several sites but cannot get any to work and I am a Excel beginner so everything I am reading is greek to me....If not I will just ride with what compiler and draft buddy already have....

anybody want to share there projection pal....I have played and tried several sites but cannot get any to work and I am a Excel beginner so everything I am reading is greek to me....If not I will just ride with what compiler and draft buddy already have....

Want to highlight this to you dan:

You know, I think what I'm going to start suggesting more and more is for people to skip the web query function and just copy and paste the projections into Projection Pal. Then follow the remaining steps to pull the projections into the Compiler. From some recent testing this has worked really well for me.

A note for people using the Projection Pal. Odds are Carnell 'Cadillac' Williams, Eddie 'Boo' Williams, the two Alex Smiths and the two Roy Williams probably won't copy over. Definitely the last 4 though.

Guest bigchief73

hey Zihnz,

all you have to do is copy how the name is on the clear tab (example "QB Clean"). go to The Clean tam copy the name (Alex Smith (QB)) and past it over the name from the web site you selected. Once you do that it will copy over the stats you just imported to that spreadsheet to the clean tab and then you can hit "Copy to compiler". This will work for all the names you liste and any other that may be mispelled. Also all the name with Hypens will not copy over most of the time as well. This trick works for all of them.

Yeah, I did that with Boo and Cadillac. I didn't realize Alex Smith (QB) and Roy Williams (WR) were messed up until earlier (they were so far down the list, I just thought they were guys who didn't have any projections). I know Mike must have it programmed to ignore the ® sign for rookies. Maybe he can do something similar with the (QB) and (WR) part.

Whoops. Good catch guys. They used to work because they didn't have that (QB)/(TE) or (WR)/(DB) designation in their names. That is, until I realized there were issues in Draft Buddy forcing me to alter their names slightly. I'll have to fix that in Projection Pal.

Want to highlight this to you dan:

this is the best advice...

sometimes keep it simple stupid is the best method...

This was the problem:

Althought I was copying the data in, it was listed LastName, FirstName. Despite selecting that from the menu above, the PP just wouldn't recognize it. So I copied the list of names into another excel worksheet, switched it to FirstName LastName, and everything worked fine.

To answer your other question, with the Mac, you do need to have both files open at once, otherwise Excel won't find the Compiler. (The same thing goes for setting up the Draft Buddy.)

Anyway, looks like it all works now. Thanks for the help.

~M

I had the same problem. Proj Pal is struggling with the name lookup function. I tried to import from a site that used Lastname, Firstname and PP couldn't handle it. I'm an Excel whiz and was able to tweak it to convert "Last, First" to "First Last" but it did not want to do it on its own. That product doesn't look quite finished.

I respectfully disagree. I tested it out on FantasySharks.com projections just the other day, and they list their players LastName, FirstName. Once I changed the drop-down above the player names to LName, FName and hit Copy to Compiler, Projection Pal worked like a champ.