Sign in to follow this  
Farmer Bernie

So, how did YOU get YOUR team?

Chocolate Booty Rodeo

I wanted top players - solid #1s at all positions. Also, tried to make sure I had depth - both for now and the future. I think I did that, though most questionably at RB.

QB - Brooks, Plummer, Carr - solid #1 in Brooks with an adequate backup. Hoping for a nice future for Carr.

RB - 3 starters. Staley is the biggest question and my be only useful this season. Even splitting carries, Pittman should get his share of TDs and many yards - health is no concern. Green will pick up all the slack. Some young guys at the bottom. Stephens to back up Pittman. Wells could produce for a few years - most likely not the RB of the future for the Texans. Jackson for depth.

WR - Solid trio at top in Smith, Brown and Toomer. Got my man Stallworth. I really think he will be the next big thing at WR. Young guys round out the bottom with Bradford, Green and Caldwell. Green and Bradford could do very well in their new situations - esp. Green. Not expecting too much from Caldwell or Stallworth THIS year.

TE - Wycheck is as solid as they come. Graham has some big hype behind him. Hopefully he will live up to it. Could be my #1 TE before the end of the season.

PK - Wilkins - best situation in the league - and I wanted him or Vanderjagt. Success.

D/ST - wanted a top D. Steelers. Done.

All and all, I like my draft a lot. I think I have a team that can compete this year and many years down the road. My top guys at QB and RB are young and already studs at their position. Carr and Stallworth could and should pay off big - especially Stallworth next year.

BRING IT!!!! ;) ;)

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: Farmer Bernie ]

Originally posted by Farmer Bernie:

Chocolate Booty Rodeo

BRING IT!!!! ;) ;)

I was so close to having this brought! :mad:

I was wrapping up my last sentence and I get a fricking IE error report.

Fock this, I am not starting over!

Originally posted by thedanzone:

I was so close to having this brought! ;)

I was wrapping up my last sentence and I get a fricking IE error report.

Fock this, I am not starting over!

WUS!!

Originally posted by Farmer Bernie:

WUS!!

Wait for hoo's grand adventure!

Oh yeah, clean this filthy post up and send it to him!

;) ;) MY TEAM IS TOP THREE CALIBER!!! :mad: :mad:

QB - At #5 I felt compelled/forced to take Warner... From there I went with Collins and Dilfer as backups as well as Jamie Martin just in case Kurt gets Hurt.

RB - Since I went QB in round 1 I had to go RB the next 2 I felt. In doing so I picked the 2 best left IMO, Davis and Smith. I do like Davis' situation this year even though most don't. Hambrick, Bryson, and Foster are for the future and Redmond is backing up Smith.

WR - Streched a little and took Chambers who has "unlimited upside." McCaffrey and Alexander had poor campaigns last year but I expect full recoveries from both. Jackson is a Falcon - nuff said. Lelie is insurance on McCaffrey and a pick for the future. Prohel I was happy with getting late... maybe Holt or Bruce will get an ingrown toenail and not play.

TE - Pollard is my #2 ranked TE after TonyG. I was happy to take him where I did. Conwell is a nice back-up since he plays for the Rams.

K - Carney and Conway. Who cares

Def - Redskins signed Marvin Lewis and some great players in the offseason - I think they will be dominant. Rams are also in my top 5 this year and they play the Cowboys during the Redskins bye week.

Overall, I rate my draft a 7... I felt forced into picking players I'm not totally happy with just due to scarcity. As a whole I like my team but there were parts of the draft where I was pi$$ed.

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: bigmarc27 ]

4 Norsemen/the Appocalypse

Well, I wanted to make sure that I had the RBs to contend. And I was playing to win NOW, with a few after thoughts towards the future.

QB-Gannon, Fiedler, Pennington.

I was surprised as hell when Rich Gannon fell to me in the 6th, even with his age. Fiedler should be decent for the next few years, and Pennington is for the future.

RB-Holmes, George, Lewis, Dayne, Staley, Buckhalter, Wofford. This is why I didn't really like my draft position. I could have gotten Holmes 4-5 picks later, and get a better second pick. I didn't really like George at this spot, but the all the players I had ahead of him were gone. But I got 2 top 10 RBs in them. Lewis is top 10 when healthy.

I liked getting Dayne in the 11th, you can't argue against 7 TDs from an 11th round RB. Staley could very well be the starter in Detroit by midseason, but has concerns about his health. Buckhalter was going in the first 5 rounders before he tore is ligament, and he's one of my future picks. Wofford is my coma pick, because Mike Tice is supposed to REALLY like this guy. And if Bennett falters...

WR-Jimmy Smith, KJ2, Ward, Price, Crowell, Bates, Wayne, Jurevicius, Scott.

I made sure I got solid starters in Smith and KJ2, and a decent one in Ward.

Then I started going for the sleepers, hoping some of the sh!t I threw against the wall would stick. Crowell is very good, when healthy. I was hoping to pick up Marcus Robinson to complement Crowell. Price, Bates, Wayner, and Jurevicius are all 2nd-3rd WRs with great upsides, with Bates being a homer pick. Scott is a consistent WR in case NONE of my sleepers work out. I had also hoped to pick up Ike Hilliard.

TE-Bubba Franks.

Bubba is good for TDs, and a little bit of yardage. He is also the only receving option left (besides Green) that Favre threw to with any consistency last year. Favre knows that Bubba will catch what is thrown to him. I will be dropping one of my WR sleepers for a bye week replacement.

K-Martin Gramatica.

He's a kicker, and he's good, as long as he doesn't hop around after every kick.

D-Indianapolis Colts.

They've a defense under Dungy. I had it down to the Titans or the Colts, chose the Colts because of the Dungy factor.

QB's - Manning, Couch, & Carter: I'm happy that they're 26, 25, & 24 years old - so I can use them for at least a few years each. Manning was taken only because Garcia was taken right in front of my pick - but I can live with that. I feel pretty good about this collection.

RB's - Ouch, yuck, aweful - Hearst, Stewart, L.Smith, & Minor: only Minor is under 30. This group is aweful, but it's my only weak position.

WR's - Owens, Bruce, Coles, S.Moss, F.Mitchell, M.Minnis, S.Morris, R.Johnson: After the first two, they're all 24 or younger. Owens was the top WR on my list, so I galdly took him instead of the 6th best RB or where ever we were at 1.09. Bruce at 3.09 and 29 years old isn't a great pick, but Coles is a good #3WR. If one or more of the last 5 comes through in the next year, I'm set.

TE's - Heap & Stevens: Both 22 - I'm set for a long time here.

K - Janikowski & Chandler: a 2nd year player and a rookie, so I should also be set for a while.

DT - Eagles, Patriots, & Titans: The Titans play the Texans twice, so that's nice. The Pats DT was a good choice as a 2nd. The Eagles were at the top of my list, so I'm happy here.

The RB's can very likely kill me this year, but the future is set at the other positions.

Well, I went in hoping for a team...

"Better at WR than Wilzon, but the tallent at QB and RB is not as good. Questions at TE."

"McNabb and Alexander - nuff said."

and I guess I accomplished that. :(

Originally posted by Orgazmo:

Well, I went in hoping for a team...

and I guess I accomplished that. :(

Orgazmo, calm down. I said the comment "McNabb and Alexander - nuff said." It was meant to be a compliment about how dominant I think those 2 will be for many many years to come. Anyway, I like your team - these power rankings mean nothing anyway. Hell, I was only at #3 when I am obviously the best team ;)

How do you calm down from such a submissive state? :(

But seriously, my team is much better than the masses seem to think, for I based most of my picks and nearly all my starters around up and coming or very established offensive lines.

QB

Donovon McNabb: This guy has a coach who would rather pass in the red zone rather than run. Even when the Eagles SHOULD run, they pass. McNabb threw 25 TDs last year to James Thrash, a rookie and second year players. Just imagine what he'll do as the receivers mature.

Drew Bledsoe: A veteran that knows a little something about throwing 25+ TDs as well. With a receiver corp like Buffalo has, I have little to worry about on bye weeks.

Knob Johnson: OK, I don't like him but Gruden likes his skills. In a short amount of time he's closed the gap on Brad's job, and though he's a tool, any QB working Gruden's offense is a worthy investment.

RB

Shaun Alexander: Ran like a muthah last year. Unlike Green, Shaun won't have to worry about Dilfer stealing the show.

Maurice Morris: Backing up Alexander. The vultures (youz guys) were denied, allowing me to tie up the Seattle backfield for years to come.

Terrell Davis: A risk. A bigtime risk, but at one point so were Isaac Bruce and Robert Smith. A hell of a value pick if he stays healthy.

Clinton Portis: If Davis doesn't stat healthy, so what. I now have the backfield of a constant top ten team. Anderson's fumbling has relegating him to opening holes and Gary will be moved or relegated to special teams.

Jerome Bettis: Every year this guy is washed up, and falls to the early mid rounds. Rarely does he get hurt but it happens, though before his groin strain, he was leading the league in rushing. He runs behind the league's best line.

Lamar Gordon: Trung only touched the ball a dozen times in all of the final eight games after fumbling twice in a loss to the Saints. Depending on what you read, Martz has soured on Canidate. If its true, Lamar stands a good chance of backing up Faulk and his mystery knee. Even if he is third on the depth chart, its not like Trung has been the poster boy for health the last couple years. A possible steal of the draft.

Marcel Shipp: Thomas Jones sucks balls, and if he doesn't this year, Shipp will transmorgify into a backup kicker.

WR

Why take Keyshawn Johnson over the likes of Horn and Jimmy Smith? For one thing he's young enough to be a dynasty lynch-pin for several years. A second appealing feature is his ability to stay off an injury report. And third: Jon Gruden. For those who forgot the pre-Gruden Tim Brown, well let's just say he wasn't too intimate with the end zone either. A receiver who can catch over a hundred balls under Tony Dungy and Clyde Christianson has truly accomplished something. Its now up to Gruden to make those catches occur at the ends of the field.

Joey Galloway: Since most of the wide receivers after round three offered about the same potential or lack thereof, I put my second receiver off till, ohhh, round 63 or so. I chose Galloway due to the investment Dallas put in him. For all that money and two number ones, I figure Jerry to drive Joey until his tranny drops. Galloway crapass last few seasons were hardly his fault. A knee injury early into one season followed a quarter back cluster fock the next season. He started clicking well with Carter late last year, and in case of injury, Hutchison has to be better than Wright, Stoener, or friggin Ryan Leaf, right? Right??

Mushin Muhammad: Well, he's tall anyway.

Robert Ferguson: A boom or bust type. If you believe coaches (hard to do) this kid will have a good year. With a lack of options and Brett Favre pulling the trigger, I took a flier on this possible dynasty staple.

Josh Reed: A rookie. I refuse to speculate on rookie receivers, but hopefully he won't suck.

Tim Dwight: A sentimental pick to be sure. He made an impressive number two with the Falcons, but with Marty running the show he may be sitting on my bench being sentimental.

TE

Eric Johnson: I didn't have a high regard for the position, but I'm not stupid. I drafted a wide receiver-turned-tight end for an offense generous with the passing game and run by Jeff Garcia. Owens is good and Stokes suxor, so it'll be up to the young Johnson to give Jeff an option.

Stephen Alexander: SD paid a lot for him, and young quarterbacks like Drew Brees use tight ends as security blankets. His lone touchdown was to Freddie Jones last year.

PK

Jason Elam: Its nice to have someone so good you don't even have to think about it. My kicking game is on auto-pilot.

DEF

Green Bay

Denver

TAKE YOUR 9 AND SMOKE IT, VICTIMS @##@## IT HATH BEEN BROUGHTEN!! :( ;)

Originally posted by Orgazmo:

How do you calm down from such a submissive state? :(

maybe calm down was the wrong word... it just seemed to me that you were taking these rankings a little too seriously when its all in fun. I meant my statement to be a compliment not a diss.

Originally posted by bigmarc27:

maybe calm down was the wrong word... it just seemed to me that you were taking these rankings a little too seriously when its all in fun. I meant my statement to be a compliment not a diss.

One wouldn't last long on these forearms with a thin skin. I was just running with the ball handed off to me.