Sign in to follow this  
Orgazmo

Self assessments anyone?

There seem to be several opinions of our picks inside this board as well as outside. These pauses in the action seem to be a good time to explain some of the motivation behind our selections.

---------------------------------------------

4.09 QB Kurt Warner, STL

I'm far from being a Rams fan, but when your lunatic coach insists on throwing the ball why not be the beneficiary. Medical clearance and a starting nod helped in this decision but I'm far from comfortable with Kurt as my starter. With so many RBs gone and a sizable run on TEs out of the way, I decided a late fourth to be a small price to pay if he gets back to MVP form. It's also not a back-breaking price if he fails. Plus, it helps to have potential failures on the team as it will making cutting them down the road easier.

1.04 RB LaDainian Tomlinson, SD

The leaps this kid made from his rookie year are boggling. Add to that a coach who loves to run the ball like Marty and what can only be an improving o-line, I have a cornerstone player for many years to come.

2.09 RB William Green, CLE

Not a sure bet here, but watching him play down the stretch was scary (when I rooted for the other team). His speed is a killer when he breaks past the d-line, plus he is dynasty young, has no competition for the job and has a young explosive team around him.

3.04 WR Plaxico Burress, PIT

Young, strong, tall, and no significant injuries. His third year was a monster and he's only going to get better. He treated me very well last year and in my eyes the fourth best receiver on the board.

5.04 WR Koren Robinson, SEA

Another stud on the rise. A strong second half of the season holds a lot of promise for him as he heads into the magical "third" year.

[ 02-25-2003: Message edited by: Orgazmo ]

1.12 -- Donovan McNabb. Was ecstatic to get McNabb here. The scoring system in this league heavily favors the running QBs and I got the best. Young and fast.

2.01 -- Tiki Barber. Love this guy, he helped me tremendously last year and there is no reason to believe he will slow down. Also, he catches the ball great and was one of the best at long runs. Young and fast.

3.12 -- Peerless Price. I'm intrigued by this pick. He has the skills and will be playing with a chip on his shoulder. The Bills will pay him the average of the top 5 WRs in the league, so they will get him the ball. His breakaway runs make him very attractive in our system. Maybe a bit of stretch here, but he's young and fast.

4.01 -- Torry Holt. Watch out for this guy this year. He had the receptions and the yards last year and now he'll get his TDs. Also, had a bunch of long receptions. Oh...he's also young and fast.

See a trend??? 4 big time players that are either 26 or 27, very fast and are gamebreakers. All 4 produce big numbers and are in great spots to go even higher for many years.

[ 02-25-2003: Message edited by: Hog Chow ]

1.10 QB Mike Vick, ATL

- I thought long and hard between Vick and McNabb. I figured before the draft that it would come down to that choice. Vick has a higher ceiling than McNabb IMO and has a team that seems driven to provide him weapons through free agency and the draft. If they can get him a reliable WR that actually runs sharp routes, he could take off. Vick is the kind of athlete that we will talk about for decades, a real gamechanger.

2.03 RB Corey Dillon, CIN

- Pained me to take him over Harrison and Owens but I needed to have at least one reliable RB. With a new offensive system, a run first philosophy, and an improving OL, Dillon should continue to improve. Has good speed and gets the majority of Red Zone touches

3.10 WR David Boston, ARI

- Best player on the board at this point. Very young, immensely talented. Willing to take a chance on him pulling his head out of his own ass by next year.

4.03 WR Eric Moulds, BUF

- Great speed, still young, #1 WR on a terrific offense. Looking for WR1 production from my WR2 :D

5.10 WR Chris Chambers, Mia

- Great speed, touchdown machine from all over the field. As long as Ray Lucas has nothing to do with that offense, I'm conmfortable that his stats will climb each year

6.03 RB Warrick Dunn, ATL

- Another speed guy with TD potential from all over the field. Great hands and potential.

My strategy seems to be very similar to Hig Chow's...

Originally posted by Bill Swerski:

My strategy seems to be very similar to Hig Chow's...

I've been called all sorts of names, but Hig? Them's fightin' words!!!!

Originally posted by Hog Chow:

I've been called all sorts of names, but Hig?  Them's fightin' words!!!!

BRING IT HIG CHEW!!!!##@#@@@

:D :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Posted end Rnd 6.

I feel like mostly I have been catching what is falling to me.

1.09 RB Travis Henry is one of a group of up and coming players at his position. With Direct TV, I probably saw (live or replay) at least half of his funbles last season. The majority of the turn overs came when the ball popped out while he was struggling, working, finishing a play. A problem and possibly a fixable one with the new positional coach brought in to address this issue. A few of his drops came because of some stiff pops taken (again while exposed, working for yardage). The coach loves the guy. There is no reason he can't be a monster for years to come.

2.04 WR Marvin Harrison is a mature star player, entering into his prime years. With a little luck, I could be riding a Jerry Rice-like run for the next 5 years. Arguable the best wide out in the NFL.

3.09 RB Edgerrin James came to me as a blessing or a curse. I don't know which yet. Good signs are a quiet argrement between team and player that they would kick in a few of the unearned bonuses if he would spend the off season in their conditioning routines. This is the best news for a couple of reasons: 1.) it shows he can listen, and 2.) gives some validity to the dip in his goal line production due to loss of strength/healing from a surgery. If he bombs, then I have wasted a pick on this gamble. If I hit, it becomes an equivalent to another upper-mid 2nd round pick (his production close to 1st year).

4.04 TE Bubba Franks may have been taken early. I tried to wait for Koren Robinson to fall back to me and it didn't work. A mistake in tactics for sure. Anyway, Bubba is in a solid system that looks for the TE in short yardage situations. As long as Farve is in the pocket, Franks will be one of the most productive tight ends.

5.09 WR Jerry Rice fell because of age. If he has one or two pretty good years (950+yds 6+tds), he will have served me well. The salary cap funds freed up when he does retire allows me to keep or trade for other players. Jerry will probably hang it up next year. Hopefully he will go out with a blaze of touchdowns.

6.04 WR Rod Smith another elder who will hold up production numbers. There are some questions about who will be throwing the ball in Denver, and that will have a significant impact, more so than age.

Grade so far? I would say a B, given the tactical move that can only be gauged in the full season view.

[ 02-26-2003: Message edited by: Dan Sez ]

I got sidetracked on the assesment and adjustment study that I forgot to keep up with the cycle. We lost a couple of hours, sorry.

Thanks for everyone's efforts to update and keep rolling.

QB Peyton Manning, IND - Fairly up and down last year but still put up some serious points. If Edge makes it back 100% this year, Manning shouldn't have to force so much. Thus, no 3 interception games.

RB Ricky Williams, MIA - What else is there to say. Had a great season last year and I see no reason why it would change. And he's young.

RB Eddie George, TEN - Has a lot of mileage but is still pretty productive. Hopefully he's completely recovered from all the little injuries. Claims he can go over 1500yrds again. I hope so.

WR Donald Driver, GBP - #1 target in GB. If Favre and Green stay healthy, I could easily see a 1100-1200yrd season. And he's young.

WR Chad Johnson, CIN - Put up some very nice numbers despite catching passes from Gus/Akili for the 1st 3 games. Another year with Bratkowski and Kitna will help also. Workout warrior also. And he's young.

WR Jimmy Smith, JAX - Still the #1 on a decent offense. He'll still get his 1000 or so yrds. Hope to milk him for 2 more years.

QB Drew Bledsoe, BUF - Thanks to the RB hoards of this league, I can't pass up the points from Bledsoe. If not for his horrible 3 game stretch late last year, he's neck and neck with everyone. Having Moulds, Price, and Henry would make anyone a stud.

Originally posted by Bill Swerski:

5.10 WR Chris Chambers, Mia

- Great speed, touchdown machine from all over the field.  As long as Ray Lucas has nothing to do with that offense, I'm conmfortable that his stats will climb each year

PS...the "touchdown machine" statement was a tease - he had the impressive total of [b]3[/b] last season...

but there's {[i]practically[/i]} no place but up...