Sign in to follow this  
Blitzen

Draft Commentary -- Round 4

I like the Holt pick, you have to think he will get at least 2 or 3 long TD's.

I took Toomer due to I think the offense will be Barber, Shockey and Toomer. Toomer will get all the deep stuff thanks to Shockey being looked at closer to the line...at least that is what I hope happens! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by shovelheadt:

Nice pick Swerski. IMO, he should have gone multiple picks ago.

I was hoping either he or Holt would slide back to me here.

Darn you Swerski, I wanted Moulds. But since you took him, I thought I would get one of the top 4 TEs while still available. The guy is a solid red zone target and is young so other than the name, what's there not to like ....

I have called Longhorndd and he is not making another donut run...

Well, the TE run is almost done.

Not an easy call at 4.06. There is plenty of WR talent left. The catch count and the ability to outmuscle DB's for TD grabs makes this pick good. Even if 2002 ends up being his best year, he's still a very good choice at this point for years to come.

Originally posted by Orgazmo:

You're on the list now, blitzen!   :mad:   :mad:

I aim to please. ;)

They say he'll play a bigger role this year. If you consider he was a part time player last year, he could be huge!!

Originally posted by whoisjgalt:

...  Even if 2002 ends up being his best year, he's still a very good choice at this point for years to come.

Still a great player to hang onto for a couple of years and then cut when his cost exceeds his production.

Originally posted by Dan Sez:

Still a great player to hang onto for a couple of years and then cut when his cost exceeds his production.

Exactly.

I am pretty :confused: over the TE run coming so early. I think you all are over-thinking this thing.

I dont understand Plaxico going before Toomer or Moulds.

The Barlow picks shocks me. He has had 2 years to beat out Hearst for the starting gig and hasnt been able to do so. I dont know the contract situation of Hearst or f its relevant this season.

I agree 100% with the David Boston pick. I am sure he will sign on with a better team.

I am glad Shovel took Manning when he did. I was gonna take Manning one pick later, but in hindsight I am much happier with Stephen Davis there.

Its interesting watching Edge go from a consensus #2 overall pick 2 years ago, down to a mid/late 3rd rounder when he is still only like 26. I dont disagree, just interesting.

Are we allowed to trade draft picks?

Originally posted by Scatterjack:

I watched a lot of his games. He's getting better at catching in traffic, he's young, strong, fast, and hasn't had significant injury. Mould's years are up and down plus Bledsoe faded some in the stretch. Toomer is nice, but his fate is tied to Kerry Collins who I still seem to hold in great scrutiny.

I am pretty    :confused: over the TE run coming so early. I think you all are over-thinking this thing.

The Barlow picks shocks me. He has had 2 years to beat out Hearst for the starting gig and hasnt been able to do so. I dont know the contract situation of Hearst or f its relevant this season.

I agree 100% with the David Boston pick. I am sure he will sign on with a better team.

I am glad Shovel took Manning when he did. I was gonna take Manning one pick later, but in hindsight I am much happier with Stephen Davis there.

Its interesting watching Edge go from a consensus #2 overall pick 2 years ago, down to a mid/late 3rd rounder when he is still only like 26. I dont disagree, just interesting.

TEs - agreed

Plax - agreed

Barlow - agreed

Boston - disagree. We know he's due for some type of suspension combined with a troublesome knee. Plenty of WR were out there with less issues and similar production.

Davis - don't know what to think yet. Way more risk than I would've been able to swallow. Hope it works for you. Wait, no I don't. :mad:

Scatter, for what its worth (not much, I know)....

The TE run was too early for me as well, but there is a dropoff after the top 3 or 4, so I can understand why they were chosen. I would rather load up at other positions and grab the TEs later through drafting or even trading.

I would take Plaxico over Moulds and Toomer anyday in a keeper/dynasty situation. Plaxico went before others I would have rather had, but I certainly think he has more value in this league. Hell, you probably think I'm nuts for taking Holt and Price over Moulds and Toomer....we'll see what happens.

I was surprised (not shocked) by the Barlow pick...I like him, it was just a reach, IMO.

Boston was a good pick, not great. He is facing a suspension and is a head-case. The pick could be gold...or perhaps lead.

I've alrerady told you I liked the Davis pick...I just hope he doesn't go to Carolina.

Edge was an awesome pick at that spot!

Not sure about the picks.

[ 02-25-2003: Message edited by: Hog Chow ]

Not during the initial draft. You may make trades immediatly following the draft. In future drafts you may trade within. Just in this first one, I want everyone to start out with the same footing into the salary retention system.

:eek: Warner :eek: sure didn't think he would go this early

I like my team so far, but JGalt is kicking our tails....and to think he's in my division!

Guess he ain't getting whipped by the zip (remember that, Dan?)!

Originally posted by hellothere:

:eek: Warner   :eek:   sure didn't think he would go this early

He was a top five pick last year.

A late fourth rounder is a reasonable risk/reward ratio.

I thought Shockey would swing back to me in the 4th, where I would have taken him to start the same run. A round early, probably, but it just reversed the order of execution. If Shockey had been the only TE taken, I would have gone in another direction with my 4th pick.

You have to start two of these slugs so you should try and get one good slug. A limited strategy given the small talent pool. Is Franks worth the difference compared to the dropoff of selection H.Ward has to wait until I pick up another reciever.

Marcel Shipp - yes I know I have taken 4 RBs. I had every intention of drafting RB through round 5 :eek:, yes I'm serious. But I RE-read teh rules and saw we could only start 4. For some reason I was under the assumption that we could start any combo of RB/WR totalling 9. Regardless, Shipp's fppg is higer than the next WR on my sheet. Screw balance, I want points.

Also, I could pretty much tell you what No Doubts next to picks will be and am confident I will get my next guy. Shipp was the bottom player of a tier on my sheet, he is young (which my team is not).........and my magic 8-ball told me "all signs point to yes." :mad:

"all signs point to yes."   :mad:

Did you tell your Magic 8-ball that Plummer and Boston would most likely be gone?? :mad:

I chose Boston because he is absolutely the most talented WR outside of the Big 3 of Harrison, Owens, and Moss.

It appears he won't be spending any time in jail and his knee should heal based on his manic workout regimen. I'm not too concerned with his current situation as his potential at this spot in the draft certainly outweighs them.

Originally posted by Hog Chow:

Guess he ain't getting whipped by the zip (remember that, Dan?)!

Huh?

A reference to something I wrote.

That was about the first part of the LOD draft and feeling "whipped". That league had 14 teams. A small difference, maybe, but that combined with the run on RB talent left me feeling like whatever decision I made was in reaction to, and therefore I was lagging "half a lap behind".

The compliment intended is that you are doing so well in the 7th slot (mine in the 14 team LOD initial draft) and you are creating such a nice team.