Sign in to follow this  
natyb22

What is your league's WW rules?

I am in a league with 9 close friends, we have been playing fantasy for 5 years now and have never really had a waiver wire set up, it was first come first call. Well now we want to change it and I wanted to see how other leagues do it. One friend said that we should have the people with lower records have first dibs or if someone calls a player the people with lower records will be able to take them. I don't think that would be smart because someone with a lower record could pick up as many players as they'd like and if someone in first place picks up a player then the person in second could take them instead!?!? Needless to say we need help.......

In my league you can only pick up someone every other day. It doesn't matter what your record is but it makes you think about who you are going to pick up. I'm biting my nails right now because I have no RB's and I want Fisher. I can't pick him up til 3:00 am tonight.

hmm that one is interesting.....so everyone in the league only can pick one player up everyother day? i've never heard of that one.

What my league does, and is pretty much the standard for FF, is every week the waiver wire order is reset based on the standings with the worst team being first. If a team grabs someone from the wire then they go to the back of the line. So for example if the worst team in the league put in a claim for T Fisher then he'd get him but move to the back of the line until the order was reset the following week.

^^ okay i see that, but is there a deadline for when people have to pick someone up. say the 3 teams in dead last pick up a player each on monday. no one else makes a transaction til saturday when the first place team picks up a player, can the 4th place team claim that player even though they didn't make a move during the week?

At Antsports, everybody is given a 100 bid dollars at the beginning of the year. On Tuesday, highest bidder gets the player. You can auction players off Tuesday to the highest bidder and have imaginary annual cap dollars that nobody can go beyond. After Tuesday, pickup whoever you want in the free-for-all scramble mode. Free waiver pickups stop after the first weekly game kickoff till Tuesdays Auction the following week.

We have a 12 team league running since 98... our waiver wire has evolved since the beginning and we've settled on this set of rules the last few years.

The waiver wire order is based on the last 3 weeks scoring. Lowest 3 week total goes first and so on. WW period ends Tuesday at 5pm... after we process waivers, it's first come first serve on all Free Agents til Saturday at Midnight.

Also, after Tuesday at 5pm... any player dropped is on a 24 hour waiver period. You can put in for him, but if more then one puts in for him during the 24 hour period, then we do a random draw for the player between the teams claiming him.

We've done the record route, but this seems more fair.

The WW rule for yahoo works as follows,

the team that drafted last is #1 on the WW. team that drafted 2nd to last is #2 and so on until you get to the person who had the first pick, is last on the waiver order. After someone picks someone off of waivers they drop to the last spot and everyone moves up 1.

1. The best setup is a "blind bid" arrangement, where everyone offers to buy players (for $1-2 each). That way everyone has an equal chance of getting a player.

2. Otherwise, this is how you should do it:

- waivers are processed once a week (usually Tuesday or Wednesday)

- treat it like a supplemental draft -- worst-to-first in non-snake order. Each team chooses 1 player before going to the end of the line.

- after waivers are processed, you can have a "first come, first served" system through Sunday morning. Then close waivers until the next week.

^^ okay i see that, but is there a deadline for when people have to pick someone up. say the 3 teams in dead last pick up a player each on monday. no one else makes a transaction til saturday when the first place team picks up a player, can the 4th place team claim that player even though they didn't make a move during the week?

Answering your question and continuing the thought of xWeaselx...

Players are typically locked while games are being played each week. In my league the lock begins at the time of the first kickoff and stays in place until midnight on Tuesday. At that point, the teams' waiver priority is based on their inverse season standings. If a team makes a waiver claim, that team drops to last place in the waiver priority. The list is maintained in this way until it is reset the following week. That being said, once the players are "unlocked" on Tuesday, they become free agents after all waiver claims are processed. After that point, a team can pick up a player as a free agent, which doesn't affect their waiver priority.

As for dropped players, we typically have them remain on waivers for 2 days to allow people to take notice and put in a claim if they choose. Claims for these dropped players also follows the waiver priority mentioned above.

At Antsports, everybody is given a 100 bid dollars at the beginning of the year. On Tuesday, highest bidder gets the player. You can auction players off Tuesday to the highest bidder and have imaginary annual cap dollars that nobody can go beyond. After Tuesday, pickup whoever you want in the free-for-all scramble mode. Free waiver pickups stop after the first weekly game kickoff till Tuesdays Auction the following week.

I have been playin FF since the 80's and I feel this is the best way. We use $10,000 of bid money. Blind bids, ending noon on Thursday, be careful of Thursday games, after Thursday it is first come first serve. That way everyone has a chance at a player. If your money runs out, you can still pickup after say 6:00 pm on Thursday, after the commish does all the pickups. The cons are that the commish has to be trust worthy. I usually ask someone in the league if they are picking anyone up, when I get to someone that is not, I shoot them an email with my bids. Reverse standings waiver kinda suck, a few years ago, we were allowed only 2 QBs, both mine got hurt the first week, I lost but didn't score the least amount of points, the guy in front of me on the waiver wire picked up Kurt Warner in his breakout year in week 2, he won the championship, just cuz he scored less than me in WEEK 1. With 2 QBs down, I am sure I woulda outbid him, I drafted Warner in my other league with no restrictions on the # of QBs.

hth

The two I've used in the two leagues over the years is as follows:

League 1

Now using "free for all method." Waiver requests are due by Tuesday Midnight. Priority goes from worst to first accordance to overall record. Simply put, worst record gets their man. Players dropped remain on hold for 24 hours then it's a free for all from Wednesday through gametime on Sunday.

ADVANTAGE goes to the folks who really keep up with literally day to day happenings of players. Ask 2004 owners of Nick Goings, LJohnson, MeMoore, Roy Williams. Those guys were picked up immediately as news came out that the #1's on those respective teams were in the bubble the following week. It's not like these benchers (at the time) all of a sudden scored high the week before. Noone could have predicted their emergence.

DISADVANTAGE goes to the folks who are hot outa the gate with 7-0, 6-1 records. If you are in a competitive league of experienced owners and you are on a win streak, FORGET ABOUT IT! 7-0, 6-1, 5-2 records in this type of waiver system, will often leave you NONE TO LITTLE CHANCE at running back depth or a strong bench as the season wears on. Ask the 2004 Priest owners who rode this FF bonanza to undefeated records until he got hurt? Their undefeated records left them virtually no chance at Larry Johnson or other waiver success stories like Goings, MushMuhammed, McGahee or Roy Williams because they were continually at the back of the waiver order even as the losses piled up. Case in point, I too was a Holmes owner last year and if I can remember I was 9-0 (highest points and rolling) UNTIL Holmes got hurt. Blaylock helped then he got hurt. By Week 11, my team was plummeting and I still couldn't pick up anyone. I still managed to squeek by with a 11-5 record but the lack of depth left me short in the playoffs.

League 2 Last year, we had $100 bucks to spend. Highest bidder each week takes their requested players. $5 for any transaction starting Wednesday up until game time on Sunday. 24 hour waiver period after a player is dropped.

ADVANTAGE Once again to the folks who really do their homework. Smart investments.

DISADVANTAGE To the sorry commish who has to deal with the mess of waiver requests each week. Gotta have a calculator to track and process all the different scenarios. "I want Del Greco for $10 but if I can't have him, then I'll take Brian Sipe for $8 only if I'm outbidded by my wife yada, yada, yada. Needless to say, this league returned to the "free for all" scramble this year after the commish had his first kid!

BTW In the two $$$ leagues I played in last year, the teams that won their champhonships were won with...you guessed it...Larry Johnson. Very quick pickup by one owner who kept up with KC news and a very expensive pickup by the other owner who spent a wad on LJ knowing the RB job was all but his. Also both teams that won their champhionships started 0-4. I'm sure this scenario was a recurring theme throughout FF leagues last year and every year.

I hope this all helps. Good luck.

Waivers in our league work nicely. Lowest record gets first dibs, but as soon as you get one pick, you move to the end of the waiver list. So essentially, if you're the lowest ranked team, you get your first pick first, guaranteed. Other options are that ranking starts in reverse draft order and carries over from week to week. If you use it, you move to the end of the waiver order. If you don't, you stay at the top.

I don't like the weighted stuff personally.

First come first served is my opinion.

However I have would go to a black out period if the rest in the league would be willing.

Essentially this would be start of weeks first game until Tuesday noon. This so that lives don't cost one in FA. Especially early in the season.

Else a silent auction would be next best bet.

Our rules are simply. Max 2 pickups a week. No trading FA.

:rolleyes:

Here's what we do:

Injured Reserve: A player must be listed as Questionable or worse per the site to be placed on IR. The deadline for placing a player on IR is the same as for setting one's lineup. (This depends on my availability so you are encouraged to make your requests as easrly as possible) You retain the rights to a player placed on IR. You may pick up a player who is a free agent to replace the injured player. When the injured player is listed as Probable or better (per this site), you must release the player you added to replace him or the injured player. If the backup for the player is a Free Agent, the team losing the injured player has first rights to the injured player's backup.

Waiver Wire: In the event that 2 teams wish to claim a free agent, the team with the worse record is awarded the rights to the free agent. Tie breaker rules above apply (with the worse team awarded the rights). The team not receiving the rights to the player will have an extra day to select another free agent. The team that does not get the player does not have the right to put in a claim for a free agent claimed by another team. The deadline for Waiver transactions is 3:00 Thursday. IR transactions take precedence over Waiver transactions. This means that if 2 teams request the same player and one of the teams is doing an IR trans then the IR team gets the player.

There's a lot of reasons we have developed over the years which I won't go into other that to state they are for equity and maintaining interest.