Sign in to follow this  
montana

You are an NFL owner...which one of these

Which young QB would you build your team around if you were an NFL owner?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Which young QB would you build your team around if you were an NFL owner?

• Carson Palmer
    • Eli Manning
    • Ben Roethlisberger
    • Other (specify)

This is the question on ESPN.com today (NFL section) & thought it to be a very good question to ask here (yeah, ok....so I'm bored). The race is almost completely even throughout the USA, just want FFToday'ers to give me their opinion!

I chose Roethlisberger, but I'll tell you, I'm not sure that you could go wrong with any of them. A young team would be better suited to Roethlisberger's mobility, I think, and that is where I would want to go. I think that some will dismiss him as a caretaker, but I think that they are forgetting that he defines poise in a young QB. Last year, he had the best fourth-quarter average in the league, and in his young career has already led several game-tying or game-winning drives in the final minutes of games. Hard to go against that.

Eli Manning has pretty touch on the ball, and is quickly developing his brother's knack for viewing the whole field. Last week against the Broncos, he really sold me on his ability when he led the Giants from 13 down in the last half of the fourth quarter. That was impressive. Yes, he has the weapons to work with, but man, that was outstanding. He should get better.

Carson Palmer has thrived in that Cincinnati offense, where he has several weapons, and makes the whole thing run like a Cadillac. It's impressive to see. I'm waiting to see if he has moxie, which I'm not sure I've seen a lot of yet. He's impressive, and he's cool, but he's not unflappable (no one truly is). And the Bengals really haven't been in a position much where he can lead them from behind, which is one of those qualities that I think boosts a QB's esteem in the eyes of others.

Just my thoughts. Sorry for being so long, but when selecting between these three, it needs to be clear that all are good choices.

Big Ben. Bigger, more mobile and better pocket presence than the other two. I've seen nearly every pitt game the last two years and the way this guy moves in the pocket and his arm strength while on the move is something you can't teach. Granted I haven't seen every Giants or Cincy game, but from what I have seen the other two don't seem to have that same instinct. Palmer is a truly gifted QB and I take him second over Eli. Baby manning is comin around, but he needs to show me a bit more before I'll be convinced that he can lead a team deep into the playoffs.

I chose Roethlisberger, but I'll tell you, I'm not sure that you could go wrong with any of them. A young team would be better suited to Roethlisberger's mobility, I think, and that is where I would want to go. I think that some will dismiss him as a caretaker, but I think that they are forgetting that he defines poise in a young QB. Last year, he had the best fourth-quarter average in the league, and in his young career has already led several game-tying or game-winning drives in the final minutes of games. Hard to go against that.

Nor his stellar record as a starting QB. Most claim he is a caretaker but that shouldn't diminish the fact that he is performing at a level that no other rookie or 2nd year QB has ever achieved in the history of the league. <_<

It appears in the early going, that people are voting as FF players first. <_< Otherwise, this should split pretty evenly.

I chose Roethlisberger, but I'll tell you, I'm not sure that you could go wrong with any of them.  A young team would be better suited to Roethlisberger's mobility, I think, and that is where I would want to go.  I think that some will dismiss him as a caretaker, but I think that they are forgetting that he defines poise in a young QB.  Last year, he had the best fourth-quarter average in the league, and in his young career has already led several game-tying or game-winning drives in the final minutes of games.  Hard to go against that.

Nor his stellar record as a starting QB. Most claim he is a caretaker but that shouldn't diminish the fact that he is performing at a level that no other rookie or 2nd year QB has ever achieved in the history of the league. <_<

I think there was a QB recently who won a Super Bowl and a Super Bowl MVP in his first year under very similar circumstances.

I chose Roethlisberger, but I'll tell you, I'm not sure that you could go wrong with any of them.  A young team would be better suited to Roethlisberger's mobility, I think, and that is where I would want to go.  I think that some will dismiss him as a caretaker, but I think that they are forgetting that he defines poise in a young QB.  Last year, he had the best fourth-quarter average in the league, and in his young career has already led several game-tying or game-winning drives in the final minutes of games.  Hard to go against that.

Nor his stellar record as a starting QB. Most claim he is a caretaker but that shouldn't diminish the fact that he is performing at a level that no other rookie or 2nd year QB has ever achieved in the history of the league. :wall:

The caretaker nonsense has got to stop. He has led more comeback drives than the other two QBs on this list combined. The guy is clutch. Caretaking? Right. With the highest per pass average in the league? Last year, he was second in that category behind Peyton. Just because he doesn't throw it 30 times a game does not mean he's a "caretaker." That's ridiculous. He's a playmaker, and he proves it constantly on the field.

But whatever. :mad:

Palmer, I think the jury is still out on Eli in my case though he has pulled some games out they just don't get a big lead. Ben is consistent but is in a system where the offense is based on running the ball. :wall:

His first year starting, yes. That was the year he went to the Super Bowl. It's taken him 3 years since to get respect as one of the best.

Tom Brady

As far as being clutch I think both Ben and Eli have shown more than Palmer so far. Palmer hasnt had the nice comeback drives this year that both Ben and Eli have.

All three are on path to being big time Qbs. They all have great physical tools and appear to have their head on straight (although I cringe when I hear Big Ben talking about riding his bike w/o a helmet). This would be a very difficult decision for any GM to make but it's made easier by the fact you really can't go wrong. Here's how I see them:

Palmer-Probably the one with the least amount of downside. The guy looks like a robo-QB. He's your prototypical #1 pick, All American QB. He'll probably end up with the biggest career numbers of the three.

Manning-Making it big as a star in a tough city to play in. Vastly improved over last year. The only thing I don't like about him is he has a little deer in the headlight look at times. Obviously I'm not talkin about Joey Harrington but there's a little something about him that makes me wonder if he has a real killer instinct.

Big Ben-Even though he has had some bad games against the Pats he impresses the hell out of me. He's a tough kid who isn't afraid to make plays. He can move very well as well and is difficult to bring down. He's already been in a bunch of big games (with varying degrees of success) and has shown he's not scared to make mistakes.

My choice would come down to Palmer and Big Ben. If Big Ben is totally committed off the field (I have no idea either way which is why I ask) than he'd probably be my choice. I say that because it appears Palmer is going to have a very long career and I would need to know Ben is taking the neccessary steps to do so as well. Yet, there's something about Ben that gives him the edge over the other two. He just seems to have those intangibles you can't teach.

His first year starting, yes.  That was the year he went to the Super Bowl.  It's taken him 3 years since to get respect as one of the best.

Tom Brady

The descriptions I see of Ben are the exact same as Brady's early career. Since Brady proved everyone wrong (don't forget he lead the NFL in TD passes his second year) I'm sure the critics are much more leery of taking shots at Ben for being in a similar situation.

This deserves to be bumped. For note, the ESPN poll still has the three in a virtual dead heat.

But... Palmer sucks. He played in the Pac-10 where they don't play defense! He's the next ryan leaf! ;)

Where'd all these "Palmer sucks" halfwits go?

Carson Palmer- Great quarterback but still learning and still getting better. I don't think he is as good as the other two. He needs to learn to step up his play against stronger teams, he still isn't capable of taking the team on his back and winning the game.

Eli Manning- Great poise, great deep ball, great blood lines. Could have the most upside when it is all said and done. He is starting to make the guys around him better. He will continue to get better and better and he will be the best in the NFC in the next two years.

Rothelsomething- The guy just wins, he is accurate as hell and he is tough and mean. No one has rattled him except the Pats. I don't think there is a better young quarterback for this offense and this is the perfect offense for him to succeed in.

David Carr- I think he is getting a bad rap because he is on a garbage team. Put him on a team with a little blocking and he would be in this argument. He is trying to hard to make plays, the game plan sucks and the offensive line is friggin brutal. With AJ hurt he is throwing to guys that wouldn't even make the team of the other three guys mentioned here.

I really don't care if Ben doesn't get the accolades he deserves as long as he keeps winning games because that's all that really matters.

I don't even have to read the thread. P. Manning, Palmer, E. Manning in that order. McNabb can't win in a big game and Culpepper has been exposed without Moss. Vick is a WR playing QB and will most likely be out of the league with an injury with in the next 3 years due to his skinny frame and taking too many hits running with the ball.

I don't even have to read the thread. P. Manning, Palmer, E. Manning in that order. McNabb can't win in a big game and Culpepper has been exposed without Moss. Vick is a WR playing QB and will most likely be out of the league with an injury with in the next 3 years due to his skinny frame and taking too many hits running with the ball.

evidently you do

alexpketon = alexPUTZketon

freakin BIG tool

UU=================D

McNabb can't win in a big game, but Manning can? :(

Eli Manning -- The pedigree is the reason I picked him over Palmer.

He has the intangibles

Palmer was touted as one of the best QB's to ever come out of college, and he'll become one of the best pro's. He just has the most natural talent of any guy on that list, and maybe more than any QB that's come out in the past 10 years.

Tough one. I might go with Roethlesberger just because of how cool he is under pressure.

I voted for Eli Manning. Being in the Philadelphia area I get to see the Giants on TV pretty often and Eli has been very impressive. As an Eagles fan, I wish I could say he looks shaky and won't accomplish much in the league, but he has been anything but shaky.

He's calm in the pocket and avoids pressure well while keeping his eyes downfield and finding an open target. I haven't noticed him making any "rookie" mistakes and his arm amd accuracey were never a question to begin with.

I thought the Giants were foolish when they traded a 1st round pick and Philip Rivers just to get Eli, but after seeing him play I realize why they did it. Barring injury, he's going to be a good QB for a long time.

Roethlisberger has been impressive, but I don't know if he could lead his team to as many wins if he didn't have what is possibly the best defense and best running game in the NFL to help him out.

I haven't seen Palmer play much and eventhough he is having a good season I would take Eli and Roethlisberger ahead of him at this point.

Nor his stellar record as a starting QB. Most claim he is a caretaker but that shouldn't diminish the fact that he is performing at a level that no other rookie or 2nd year QB has ever achieved in the history of the league. :rolleyes:

you know why?

cause he throws 8 to 12 times a game

they arent letting him make the mistakes that he would naturally make as a young QB and after he gets experience, he wont be making them

not to discredit him at all but that streak and the success isnt him, just like Dorsey at Miami

Guest MUGS
Nor his stellar record as a starting QB. Most claim he is a caretaker but that shouldn't diminish the fact that he is performing at a level that no other rookie or 2nd year QB has ever achieved in the history of the league.

Caretaker :lol:

for Tommy and Batch and old-man Bettis(still rolling)

Pitt has plans on drafting another Qb ;)

Make sure you read this question carefully. It has nothing to do with FF.

I have Carson and picked Eli of the WW earlier. I just traded JJ and Eli for Ronnie Brown and Big Ben.

In terms of FF, I would rate them:

1. Carson (8.5/10)

2. Eli (8/10)

3. Big Ben (7/10)

In terms of NFL owners and this question, I would rate them:

1. Big Ben (8.5/10)

2. Carson (7.5/10)

3. Eli (7/10)

Nor his stellar record as a starting QB. Most claim he is a caretaker but that shouldn't diminish the fact that he is performing at a level that no other rookie or 2nd year QB has ever achieved in the history of the league. :lol:

Hmmm.......who is that guy from NE?

Interesting to note, folks. The poll at ESPN was a dead heat. I wonder if maybe that's because they were looking at it from a football standpoint. This is very evidentially a fantasy poll on this board.

idlewild nailed it.

I just don't see how anyone can say big ben is better than carson (to a lesser degree, eli) , whether fantasy or football. It's like comparing Phil Simms to John Elway imo...

The fact of the matter is, Pttsburgh's winning is based on running the football and playing D. Ben's a great compliment because he's a QB that doesn't make mistakes. No matter what team he plays for, he's never going to have the pure natural ability of a carson palmer. If any of the 32 teams had their choice, it'd be palmer hands down, 32-0.

Don't get me wrong, I think Ben's a great QB, great leader, and a winner. He'll have alot of success in the NFL, but you're comparing him to someone who truly has the potential to break alot of records in this league...

I just don't see how anyone can say big ben is better than carson (to a lesser degree, eli) , whether fantasy or football. It's like comparing Phil Simms to John Elway imo...

The fact of the matter is, Pttsburgh's winning is based on running the football and playing D. Ben's a great compliment because he's a QB that doesn't make mistakes. No matter what team he plays for, he's never going to have the pure natural ability of a carson palmer. If any of the 32 teams had their choice, it'd be palmer hands down, 32-0.

Don't get me wrong, I think Ben's a great QB, great leader, and a winner. He'll have alot of success in the NFL, but you're comparing him to someone who truly has the potential to break alot of records in this league...

The problem with this argument is that it is completely predicated on a fantasy perspective. To make the argument that you're making overlooks very critical factors in the all-around QB.

Is Palmer really more talented than Ben? I don't think so. You're basing that idea on stats, and Palmer plays in a much more wide-open offense. Taking nothing away from Palmer. He does a great job at what he does. But it doesn't diminish Ben's abilities because of Palmer's stats.

Your argument suggests that Pittsburgh runs because they're afraid that if they put the ball in Ben's hands, that he will fail. And that is simply not the case. Yes, Pittsburgh runs the ball, and they play great defense. But the fact of the matter is that when it gets to crunch time, and they need a play, Big Ben makes the play. He is a playmaker, not a caretaker. He makes passes in passing situations; he makes passes in non-passing situations. He keeps plays alive with his mobility, and doesn't go down easily because he's so strong. He's accurate (61%), and he's virtually unflappable; he defines cool under pressure. He has led more game-winning and game-tying drives than both Eli and Carson put together. His yards per attempt and per completion are at the top of the league, which really puts a hurting on your argument that Palmer (and/or Manning) are more gifted.

In short, I think your argument comes completely down to numbers. In raw ability, I completely disagree with you. Ben makes all the throws that Palmer does, he just doesn't do it as many times a game. Palmer may break records, but that doesn't make him more physically gifted, or a better, QB.

I just don't see how anyone can say big ben is better than carson (to a lesser degree, eli) , whether fantasy or football.  It's like comparing Phil Simms to John Elway imo...

The fact of the matter is, Pttsburgh's winning is based on running the football and playing D.  Ben's a great compliment because he's a QB that doesn't make mistakes.  No matter what team he plays for, he's never going to have the pure natural ability of a carson palmer.  If any of the 32 teams had their choice,  it'd be palmer hands down, 32-0. 

Don't get me wrong,  I think Ben's a great QB, great leader, and a winner.  He'll have alot of success in the NFL, but you're comparing him to someone who truly has the potential to break alot of records in this league...

The problem with this argument is that it is completely predicated on a fantasy perspective. To make the argument that you're making overlooks very critical factors in the all-around QB.

Is Palmer really more talented than Ben? I don't think so. You're basing that idea on stats, and Palmer plays in a much more wide-open offense. Taking nothing away from Palmer. He does a great job at what he does. But it doesn't diminish Ben's abilities because of Palmer's stats.

Your argument suggests that Pittsburgh runs because they're afraid that if they put the ball in Ben's hands, that he will fail. And that is simply not the case. Yes, Pittsburgh runs the ball, and they play great defense. But the fact of the matter is that when it gets to crunch time, and they need a play, Big Ben makes the play. He is a playmaker, not a caretaker. He makes passes in passing situations; he makes passes in non-passing situations. He keeps plays alive with his mobility, and doesn't go down easily because he's so strong. He's accurate (61%), and he's virtually unflappable; he defines cool under pressure. He has led more game-winning and game-tying drives than both Eli and Carson put together. His yards per attempt and per completion are at the top of the league, which really puts a hurting on your argument that Palmer (and/or Manning) are more gifted.

In short, I think your argument comes completely down to numbers. In raw ability, I completely disagree with you. Ben makes all the throws that Palmer does, he just doesn't do it as many times a game. Palmer may break records, but that doesn't make him more physically gifted, or a better, QB.

Excellent point. FFL warps peoples perspective. This isn't about who's statistically the best QB, it's about who gives their team the best chance to win. Also, Carson has 1 year in the league over both Big Ben and Eli...granted, it was a redshirt year, but it's still 1 year more experience. I'd have Carson as my #3, Eli as #2 and Ben as #1...if only because Ben has shown he can lead a team, has taken his team to the playoffs, is like 19-2 as a starter, and has shown he can handle the pressure of having to take his team on his back (see the Patriots game earlier this year, the Pats won, but Ben was phenomenal in the 4th Q). Additionally, Ben is probably the best per athlete of the three. Any of them are a solid foundation for a team at the QB, but professional football is about winning...and Ben is the one.

I'd be willing to bet that barring the teams they play for, most Head Coaches and GM would take them as Ben, Eli and then Carson, in that order. Coaches want to win games, and behind Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Donovan McNabb, the winningest QB is probably Ben. Also, both Eli and Carson have arguably more offensive talent around them and both are in offenses that are setup to display their talent. Ben would be just as statistically successful on both of those teams.