Sign in to follow this  
HTH

Tv Tonight! Anything On?

The complete article is on Wash Post but their are some minor spoilers.

None below.

By Tom Shales

Washington Post Staff Writer

Sunday, March 12, 2006

So eagerly awaited that the term "eagerly awaited" is a ridiculous understatement, "The Sopranos" begins its sixth and reportedly final full season tonight on HBO, and advance viewing of the first four installments suggests that television's greatest drama series has only gotten greater.

Twice within those first four new episodes, Tony the clan patriarch and godfather asks: "Who am I? Where am I going?" The questions are elemental, even kind of corny, but millions of viewers will be on the edges of their couches, breathlessly following Tony on his quest for the answers.

Tony's journey, which will occupy 12 weekly episodes this year and an additional eight starting in January, already has been one of the most rewarding and enthralling in the history of the medium. But wait, it gets better. Or, in terms of putting a viewer through the proverbial emotional wringer, it gets worse. It might even call for some newly minted accolades, because it truly is a television landmark that leaves lots of other landmarks in the dust.

Creator and Executive Producer David Chase has insisted that the journey of Tony, Carmela and such maddeningly mysterious new characters as Kevin Finnerty will end with those final eight chapters, no matter how loud the outcry from viewers or HBO executives. But at a glittery preview screening Tuesday night at New York's Museum of Modern Art, dressed in a moderately mobsterly pinstripe suit, Chase looked fit and ready to keep writing. In TV, we must never say never.

And, incredibly enough, he appears to have taken "The Sopranos" to an even higher level than it had achieved. A critic needn't really worry about overdoing the encomiums here or raising viewer expectations too high; once you plunge into the whirlpool of the new "Sopranos," you'll forget what anybody said about it anyway.

I love the Sopranos. I think it's a great show that doesn't just rely on gratuitous sex and violence but features a huge range of emotions and subplots.

However, it's does anybody else feel that it's a bit overrated considering how much time the producers take in between seasons? Look at a quality show like The Shield. They are running a new season just months after the previous one ended. And if you're pointing to the fact that it's cable, just look at its contemporaries: Curb Your Enthusiasm has a regular schedule as does SHO's The L Word. And a network show like 24, which often has to drag out certain plots to keep the real-time theme going, keeps producing quality shows and surprises that are actually surprising.

And, I can deal with the long gaps, if every episode was high quality. But look how many people crapped all over most of Season 4 (including the ultra-bland Columbus Day episode and the laughable fight between Ralph and Tony). While watching Season 5 on On-Demand, there was a dream episode that was just so bad that if it was the first episode I ever saw, I'd never watch it again. And if you're someone that feels the quality hasn't been the same since Season 3, then explain the boring season premiere (Feds wiring Tony's basement) and senseless season finale (Meadow chucking chunks of bread at her great-uncle who's singing to celebrating beating cancer).

Again, the good episodes are great, but the bad episodes can often be horrendous and when you only produce 65 total episodes, there's no excuse for any of them being boring, particularly with the long gaps in between seasons.

I'm just hoping that this wrap-up of the show is worth the painful wait and that every episode and subplot has meaning and isn't just mindless time-filler.

"Big Love" Series Premiere Tonight at 10PM/9C on HBO

Bill Henrickson (Bill Paxton) is a regular guy with regular problems. He's got a demanding job, a lot of kids, house repairs, crazy parents and, oh yes -- three wives. Jeanne Tripplehorn, Chloë Sevigny and Ginnifer Goodwin star as Mrs., Mrs., and Mrs. Henrickson (respectively), and they all work very hard to keep up appearances, keep up with the Joneses, and to keep out of prison for polygamy

:lol:

"Big Love" Series Premiere Tonight at 10PM/9C on HBO

Bill Henrickson (Bill Paxton) is a regular guy with regular problems. He's got a demanding job, a lot of kids, house repairs, crazy parents and, oh yes -- three wives. Jeanne Tripplehorn, Chloë Sevigny and Ginnifer Goodwin star as Mrs., Mrs., and Mrs. Henrickson (respectively), and they all work very hard to keep up appearances, keep up with the Joneses, and to keep out of prison for polygamy

:lol:

I was considering giving that show a chance...until I read that he has an "unusual intimate relationship with his daughter". Ecch! I'll pass.

There's some movie I think is on ESPN at 8 that's supposed to be good.

I was considering giving that show a chance...until I read that he has an "unusual intimate relationship with his daughter". Ecch! I'll pass.

Well you might as well get use to it now since every show will have this in the future. Pretty soon the "unsual" relationships will be about fathers and their 18 month babies... :thumbsup:

Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy :o

Do you want some vaginal cream with that?

Besides college bb?

:banana: :argue:

:mad: i thought you were banned.

There's some movie I think is on ESPN at 8 that's supposed to be good.

Give me a hint please.

Tonight - The Apprentice!

Money money money money.... Money! B)