Sign in to follow this  
Portis26

New York Giants Draft Strategy

Giants are a team that seem to have one basic NEED come draft day. Their LB core was destroyed last season, and probably will have to address that first.

They signed Tim Carter to be their 3rd WR.

They also signed Will Demps, Quentin Harris, Sam Madison and Jason Bell to address their secondary and still have Corey Webster in the mix.

The oddest signing was giving David Tyree the largest contract ever to a special team player??? This is 2 years ftaer being busted for Marijuinana possesion -- > LINK

Lastly, signing Bob Whitfield is merely adding depth to the oline.

SO....

The offense has all the needed weapons

The secondary was addressed via Fee Agency

The Dline/Oline can always use depth...

but I guess LB is the most GLARING NEED

so with the 25th pick, the Gmen have several options...

Ernie Simms or Bobby Carpenter, DeMeco Ryans all seem to be a FIT for what is NEEDED... they'd LOVE Grenway at #25, but I don't see it happening.

Antonio Cromartie may also be taken into consideratin, but not likely.

or do the Giants take the 'air apparent' to Tiki if De'Angelo is available!!

I think they have to grab a LB like Greenway at 25. DeAngelo would be a good pick-up but he won't help them in any way (possibly in a few years). They need to address their weakest position and it's LB.

I think there are more areas that need to be addressed than we admit.

The interior D line has issues, the O line lacks skill, the WR corps is Plax and an aging Toomer and under performing Tim Carter. Even their RB position has some issues long term.

I think the Giants need to address WR or LB with their first pick. They have temporary stop gaps in place in the secondary. I would love to see a move up to grab Holmes or Chad Jackson at WR for them to compliment Plax and Toomer.

Greenway would be a great pick as well - doubt he is there though.

The pick of Youboty or Cromartie I think is not pickign the best player available - and I think picking a player before his value is really related too.

Landing a palyer like Joseph Addai would be great as well - if Greenway, Holmes or Jackson are not ont he board - then maybe they should trade down and gather picks - this team has plenty of needs, but also depth is an issue.

Giants are a team that seem to have one basic NEED come draft day. Their LB core was destroyed last season, and probably will have to address that first.

Hey, you could give up more picks to move up and draft A.J. Hawk... :lol:

So now that Giants have Arrington, what do we do at the draft? I know some think we should still go Linebacker, but I think DT is a pressing need. Some have argued for a WR, but Len P. had a good article on ESPN the other day about how rare it is that 1st rd WR's actually produce as such. I think depending on what kind of talent is available, go DT first rd, LB second, then look for a WR....Thoughts??

They could go in any number of ways at this point. They could go DT, CB, LB, WR, or OT, with DT and CB filling the biggest needs. They'd undoubtedly love to address DT R1, but the two obvious picks should be off the board well before 25. That said, I suspect they'd love to draft WR who would add some speed to their group. If Holmes falls far enough, I could see them attempt a trade up, but that's just my hunch.

Best Bet: Stay put and grab a CB such as Cromartie or trade down with a team on the back end who is looking for a RB. From there they'd look for a DT, or perhaps WR Moss or Eric Winston. Maybe OC Mangold.

but Len P. had a good article on ESPN the other day about how rare it is that 1st rd WR's actually produce as such.

2003 (any sooner is too early to judge WRs)

Charles Rogers

Andre Johnson

Bryant Johnson

1/3

Donte Stallworth

Ashle Lelie

Javon Walker

1/3

David Terrell

Koren Robinson

Rod Gardner

Santana Moss

Freddie Mitchell

Reggie Wayne

2/6

Peter Warrick

Plaxico Burress

Travis Taylor

Sylvester Morris

R. Jay Soward

0/5 (Plaxy still has potential, though)

Torry Holt

David Boston

Troy Edwards

1/3

Kevin Dyson

Randy Moss

Marcus Nash

1/3

Ike Hilliard

Yatil Green

Reidel Anthony

Rae Carruth

0/4

Keyshawn Johnson

Terry Glenn

Eddie Kennison

Marvin Harrison

Eric Moulds

3/5 (Keyshawn is arguable, but I think he's performed well enough, even if he is a jackass)

Michael Westbrook

Joey Galloway

JJ Stokes

0/3

Charles Johnson

Jonnie Morton

Thomas Lewis

Derrick Alexander

0/4

A total of 9/39. So you should figure about 1/4 first round WRs should be worth a 1st. :doublethumbsup:

David Tyree is worth every penny IMO. I am NOT a Giants fan....but i know the Pats really like Tyree, and have wanted him much like they lusted after Larry Izzo before they got him. Players like this are building blocks...unsung ones...to titles.

Elite special teamers are very valuable and the contributions of guys like Izzo, Steve Tasker, Bill Bates ect over the years have contributed to some great teams.

I think they will draft a LB, but I'd wish they would draft a speedy wr to help Manning in the passing game. Toomer is getting old and Plaxico isn't a deep threat. I hope they draft Moss if he is there.

David Tyree is worth every penny IMO. I am NOT a Giants fan....but i know the Pats really like Tyree, and have wanted him much like they lusted after Larry Izzo before they got him. Players like this are building blocks...unsung ones...to titles.

Elite special teamers are very valuable and the contributions of guys like Izzo, Steve Tasker, Bill Bates ect over the years have contributed to some great teams.

Thank you. Tyree might be the best special team player in the game right now. You can only appreciate the impact and elite special team player has by watching him week after week and seeing the impact he has on field position. Not only that, but when Tim Carter inevtiably gets hurt we will have to throw in either a rookie WR (who we will likely draft in round 3 or so) or we might be able to give Tyree some reps there. His true value obviously though is as a top special teams player.

So now that Giants have Arrington, what do we do at the draft? I know some think we should still go Linebacker, but I think DT is a pressing need. Some have argued for a WR, but Len P. had a good article on ESPN the other day about how rare it is that 1st rd WR's actually produce as such. I think depending on what kind of talent is available, go DT first rd, LB second, then look for a WR....Thoughts??

I think they'll go best available at one of the following positions:

LB

DT

CB

OT

WR

My feeling is that the best talent available at that spot will likely be a LB, so look for them to still take a LB. I think they'll hold off on WR until about round 3 and there are no DT at that spot that will stand out. They'll wait for later in the draft for a DT. If they don't take a LB, it likely will be a CB at that spot. If not, I think they have to seriously think about a CB in round 2.

Looking at the Arrington deal, I think they still may go LB. If him and Coughlin don't get along (which I'm fully expecting), maybe they cut him loose and then they have a young, cheap and hopefully good LB who can step right in after a year of limited time.

its sad to see the lack of Giant fans here :P

It's even sadder to see how many numb nuts Redskins fans we have around here. And don't fix this thread Portis26 :clap: :P .

Drafts always come with surprises. ANd I would not be shocked to see them grab the best RB on their sheets with their 1st round pick. Which as a Giants fan, I would not mind. BUT over the last few years I have to admit, I have trouble second guessing Accorsi.

I don't see the Giants going RB in round 1, as I think they are still high on Brandon Jacobs.

LB could be an option, but the addition of Arrington takes the sting away at that spot. At times last year, they saw guys like Tobor, Griesen and Blackburn play decent. They also signed Brandon Short. I'm sure they have scouted all the LBs in detail so I guess there is a chance that they have fallen in love with one.

I am thinking they go DT, but Ngata and Bunkley will be gone by the time the Giants come up. They might reach a bit and go with Gabe Watson, who would be nice fit. He is 330 pounds, and would be a nice space eater up the middle.

I think they'll go best available at one of the following positions:

LB

DT

CB

OT

WR

My feeling is that the best talent available at that spot will likely be a LB, so look for them to still take a LB. I think they'll hold off on WR until about round 3 and there are no DT at that spot that will stand out. They'll wait for later in the draft for a DT. If they don't take a LB, it likely will be a CB at that spot. If not, I think they have to seriously think about a CB in round 2.

I agree with the and that they will not go RB in the 1st. Even a Newsday writer who covers the Giants was on Sirius last week and the Giants fell Jacobs will be their RB of the future unless he shows differently this season.

Giants' needed to upgrade their DEF in the offseason and they have doen so nicely. The CBs they signed weren't the top guys but they are an improvement.

Go Giants ;)

As was already stated often, I think the Giants should still go LB here. They have Pierce, Arrington, and Short. If you throw in pick #25, that's 4 solid LBs. Last year, they went through about 8 or 9 of em, so having 4 good ones isn't a bad idea.

Second round, I would go DT if there's a good one available for that value, and if not, I'd take a WR.

Round 1: Bobby Carpenter-LB

Round 2: Orien Harris- DT

Round 3: Jeremy Trueblood-OT

Round 4: Brandon Marshall-WR

I don't see the Giants going RB in round 1, as I think they are still high on Brandon Jacobs.

LB could be an option, but the addition of Arrington takes the sting away at that spot. At times last year, they saw guys like Tobor, Griesen and Blackburn play decent. They also signed Brandon Short. I'm sure they have scouted all the LBs in detail so I guess there is a chance that they have fallen in love with one.

I am thinking they go DT, but Ngata and Bunkley will be gone by the time the Giants come up. They might reach a bit and go with Gabe Watson, who would be nice fit. He is 330 pounds, and would be a nice space eater up the middle.

They won't take Watson just for the reasons you state before that. The DT's worthy of going that high will be gone. No need tor each here. Also, Acrosi has talked about picking up a veteran DT. Don't be suprised to see Peterson cut and the Giants pick up Grady Jackson. For the future, they'll find a DT in a later roundw ithout reaching.

Arrington has helped at the LB spot, but they could still use the depth to add to what could be a great rotation. Arrngton will start on the weakside with Emmons likely backing him up, Pierce will start in the middle and Torbor on the strong side with short likely backing him up. If Carpenter falls to them, I'd say that has to be their pick.

I would love to see Big Blue, pick up a DT, but I think Watson would be a reach at 25. If they stay at 25 I would like to see a CB selected. I think we are ok at RB with Tiki and Jacobs. I would not be unhappy also if Carpenter was selected at LB or even Holmes at WR.

I would love to see Big Blue, pick up a DT, but I think Watson would be a reach at 25. If they stay at 25 I would like to see a CB selected. I think we are ok at RB with Tiki and Jacobs. I would not be unhappy also if Carpenter was selected at LB or even Holmes at WR.

I think you mean Moss at WR. Holmes will be taken much earlier.

I think you mean Moss at WR. Holmes will be taken much earlier.

No if Holmes is not there then you pass on WR and draft another position.

i think moss is a tad over rated cause of his brother

i hope they dont draft him

:rolleyes: ;) :thumbsup:

No if Holmes is not there then you pass on WR and draft another position.

Oh, no way Holmes will be there and I agree to pass on Moss. I prefer them to stick to LB or maybe CB at that spot. No DT worth taking at that spot will fall to them and Moss just doesn't seem worthy of a first round pick.

Post mentions this today and I think it makes sense...what about Eric Winston at LT to eventually replace Pettigut? His bum back doesn't seem to be getting any better and he's pretty expensive. Apparantly he's Shockey's buddy and he's been pulling for him. Of course, this comes from Drew Rosenhaus, so believe what you will.

Still, I think LB makes the most sense. Depth at that spot killed us last year, and like I said before, if this Arrington experiment fails, whoever we draft this year could hopefully step right in next year, if need be.

Post mentions this today and I think it makes sense...what about Eric Winston at LT to eventually replace Pettigut? His bum back doesn't seem to be getting any better and he's pretty expensive. Apparantly he's Shockey's buddy and he's been pulling for him. Of course, this comes from Drew Rosenhaus, so believe what you will.

Still, I think LB makes the most sense. Depth at that spot killed us last year, and like I said before, if this Arrington experiment fails, whoever we draft this year could hopefully step right in next year, if need be.

I also read that in the Post. However, I don't think the Giants should use their first rounder on an OT if Carpenter or another solid linebacker falls to them. If the Giants are really planning not to resign Pettigout after this year, they can draft a OT next year in the first round. They'll probably have better, or at least similar, draft positioning.

I think one of these corners would fall to 25 and be a nice pick up:

Antonio Cromartie

Tye Hill

Johnathan Joseph

I think one of these corners would fall to 25 and be a nice pick up:

Antonio Cromartie

Tye Hill

Johnathan Joseph

I'll agree with you except to say that there's no way Tye Hill falls that far.

I'll agree with you except to say that there's no way Tye Hill falls that far.

One can hope, and there have been bigger drops in the past.

They can draft a LB in round 1 and still get a good corner, like Kelly Jennings in round 2, then address the DT spot in round 3. I still think they will sign a veteran DT before the season starts too.

They can draft a LB in round 1 and still get a good corner, like Kelly Jennings in round 2, then address the DT spot in round 3. I still think they will sign a veteran DT before the season starts too.

Most people have Jennings as top 5 CB's you think he will make it to pick 56 :o . We got a better chance of AJ Hawk slipping to 25 :first: , ok maybe thats stretching it a little bit.

But what better pick number than to select a LB with than pick 56 :banana: :clap: :clap:

Most people have Jennings as top 5 CB's you think he will make it to pick 56 :o . We got a better chance of AJ Hawk slipping to 25 :P , ok maybe thats stretching it a little bit.

But what better pick number than to select a LB with than pick 56 :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bigsexxxy,

I have seen a few online mocks where Jennings has slipped that far...not saying it will happen, but you never know!

Eric Winston, S Moss, or one of the CBs such as Hill or Cromartie are your best bet. And I would be shocked if they didn't go DT in round 2.