Sign in to follow this  
swamp dog

"the world according to rod"

It doesn't matter how smart or talented a player or coach is; once they arrive in Detroit they eventually add to the continuity of losing. This organization has made grown men cry (Bobby Ross), quit (Barry Sanders), question their ability (Robert Porcher), question their sanity (Marriucci), and feel underappreciated by the team (Herman Moore).

It doesn't matter what pedigree these new coaches bring with them; this is a loser organization from top to bottom, and no amount of discipline from the coaching staff will change that.

It doesn't matter how smart or talented a player or coach is; once they arrive in Detroit they eventually add to the continuity of losing. This organization has made grown men cry (Bobby Ross), quit (Barry Sanders), question their ability (Robert Porcher), question their sanity (Marriucci), and feel underappreciated by the team (Herman Moore).

It doesn't matter what pedigree these new coaches bring with them; this is a loser organization from top to bottom, and no amount of discipline from the coaching staff will change that.

Hard to argue with your points, but organizations like Tampa Bay (Gruden), Seattle (Holmgren) and even ATL (Mora) have had mediocre to bad teams for years and managed to turn it around. It can be done, and I think having the right people in place is the only way to do it. The coaches mentioned are all stern disciplinarian types. Time will tell. I'm a born skeptic and I don't drink the local kool aid but you can't help but be impressed with his answers. It's not contrived enthusiam and passion. It's the real deal. We'll see if that translates to more team discipline and wins. Millen may be the only thing left impeding future progress.

yikes. sorry to hear life is so depressing for you. please stay away from the sharp objects.

I loved that article. Even though Mack 1 has no hope, I don't think there is any reason others shouldn't. The coaching staff now are a bunch of hard workers and won't accept anything less than each player's best. I doubt we see WRs giving up on plays this year.

I thought this was a great article and can't wait to see our new product on the field.

Damn, are you all that gullible that you buy into this hype machine the Lions seem to give us with each new front office/coach hire? Come on, fellas; you all are smarter than that.

As life-long Lion fans, we should all know this team hasn't gotten it right in 50 YEARS. FIFTY YEARS!!!!! So it doesn't matter who they bring in; this organization is poorly run and the results on the field for most of the last five decades bares witness to that.

The Lions' PR machine must've spiked the kool-aid on this one. :mad:

....organizations like Tampa Bay (Gruden), Seattle (Holmgren) and even ATL (Mora) have had mediocre to bad teams for years and managed to turn it around. It can be done....

Let's see, Tampa built their Super Bowl team through the draft by selecting solid defensive players (Sapp, Lynch, Brooks) and supplementing them with a nice FA pick-up (Rice), not through rhetoric from their coach.

Seattle has won because they have a Hall of Fame-caliber RB who's used properly within the scheme of the offense, a steady -- if not solid -- QB, and a bunch of young, productive players on defense, not through rhetoric from their coach.

Lastly, Atlanta's winning predates Mora's arrival, but they've turned it around currently with a winning -- albeit not very productive stat-wise -- QB, a stud CB, and an All-Pro TE, not through rhetoric from their coach.

Marinelli's only been on the job two months; let's not annoint this guy anything more than what he is: a coach with good credentials who talks a good game and who's highly thought of around the league.

hmmm, sounds alot like what was said about 2 other coaches who graced the Lions' sidelines (Mooch, Ross)

Let's see, Tampa built their Super Bowl team through the draft by selecting solid defensive players (Sapp, Lynch, Brooks) and supplementing them with a nice FA pick-up (Rice), not through rhetoric from their coach.

Seattle has won because they have a Hall of Fame-caliber RB who's used properly within the scheme of the offense, a steady -- if not solid -- QB, and a bunch of young, productive players on defense, not through rhetoric from their coach.

Lastly, Atlanta's winning predates Mora's arrival, but they've turned it around currently with a winning -- albeit not very productive stat-wise -- QB, a stud CB, and an All-Pro TE, not through rhetoric from their coach.

Marinelli's only been on the job two months; let's not annoint this guy anything more than what he is: a coach with good credentials who talks a good game and who's highly thought of around the league.

hmmm, sounds alot like what was said about 2 other coaches who graced the Lions' sidelines (Mooch, Ross)

Its really silly to dismiss solid coaching as major contributors to these teams successes. We dont know whether the current regime will be more effective, but it is hard to imagine them being as bad as the Mooch / Jauron tandem.

Hard to argue with your points, but organizations like Tampa Bay (Gruden), Seattle (Holmgren) and even ATL (Mora) have had mediocre to bad teams for years and managed to turn it around. It can be done, and I think having the right people in place is the only way to do it. The coaches mentioned are all stern disciplinarian types. Time will tell. I'm a born skeptic and I don't drink the local kool aid but you can't help but be impressed with his answers. It's not contrived enthusiam and passion. It's the real deal. We'll see if that translates to more team discipline and wins. Millen may be the only thing left impeding future progress.

Malcolm Glacier purchased the Bucs in 1996. Arthur Blank purchased the Falcons in 2002. Paul Allen purchased the Seahawks in 1997. William Clay Ford has owned the Lions since 1964. Detroit Lions last NFL championship was in 1957 after winning it in 1952 and 1953. These are the facts. Ya'll do the math!!!!!

Malcolm Glacier purchased the Bucs in 1996. Arthur Blank purchased the Falcons in 2002. Paul Allen purchased the Seahawks in 1997. William Clay Ford has owned the Lions since 1964. Detroit Lions last NFL championship was in 1957 after winning it in 1952 and 1953. These are the facts. Ya'll do the math!!!!!

Teach, brother. Teach!!!

Its really silly to dismiss solid coaching as major contributors to these teams successes. We dont know whether the current regime will be more effective, but it is hard to imagine them being as bad as the Mooch / Jauron tandem.

i'm happy with the accountability at this point.

baby steps.

i hope marinelli has a lot of input in the draft becuz i think the one thing we can all agree on is the problem starts and stops with matt millen. he is perhaps the worst gm in all of pro sports. well maybe isiah thomas and kevin mchale are right up there with him but you get my point.

I suppose the coaching had little to do with it. :cheers: Marinelli could bomb like the rest. That's pretty obvious, but I have loved his approach so far and have become optimistic that he will restore respectability to the clubhouse. I personally think that the biggest problem the Lions have had is coaching. Period. Mooch, Morninwheg, Moeller, Ross, Fontes, Darryl Rogers, Monte Clarke. What do they all have in common? Not one other NFL team has looked at the job they have done here and offered them a contract to be the head coach of their team. That should tell you a lot.

one of the things marinelli did that really impressed me was doing an "exhaustive search and study" upon his arrival of where all the problems in the locckerroom were--the sources of the petty jealousies, etc.

i also liked it when a reporter asked him about what he'd done outside of football since he arrived: "nothing: they didn't bring me here to go to hockey games." :D

one of the things marinelli did that really impressed me was doing an "exhaustive search and study" upon his arrival of where all the problems in the locckerroom were--the sources of the petty jealousies, etc.

i also liked it when a reporter asked him about what he'd done outside of football since he arrived: "nothing: they didn't bring me here to go to hockey games." :lol:

One thing I'm not hearing, that is most important to me, is the usage of Kevin Jones. I have heard rumors of Martz's offensive style lending itself better to Bryson, but that's it. Anything solid on that topic yet???

One thing I'm not hearing, that is most important to me, is the usage of Kevin Jones. I have heard rumors of Martz's offensive style lending itself better to Bryson, but that's it. Anything solid on that topic yet???

nothing solid other than martz says he loves him and views him as a feature back. they did re-sign bryson and martz did bring in harris from the rams (whom i think will supplant pinner as the short-yardage guy).

tidbit

Lions | Bryson to see more work at fullback?

Wed, 29 Mar 2006 19:47:45 -0800

Tom Kowalski, of mlive.com, reports Detroit Lions RB Shawn Bryson may get more time at fullback this season. The coaches haven't nailed anything down yet, but they're leaning toward more plays for a more versatile fullback, in terms of putting him in motion and into pass patterns.

tidbit

Lions | Bryson to see more work at fullback?

Wed, 29 Mar 2006 19:47:45 -0800

Tom Kowalski, of mlive.com, reports Detroit Lions RB Shawn Bryson may get more time at fullback this season. The coaches haven't nailed anything down yet, but they're leaning toward more plays for a more versatile fullback, in terms of putting him in motion and into pass patterns.

To read between the lines a bit, I would say that this is merely stating that KJ has nubs for hands and couldn't catch syphillis. Bryson will be inserted into the game as a 2nd HB and or "FB" for receiving duties. I picture a play action to KJ, Bryson chip blocks a DE/LB and rolls out into the flat as a safety valve. Asking Bryson to be a lead back would be comical. You will still see Sledge in there on a designed run in the two back set.

To read between the lines a bit, I would say that this is merely stating that KJ has nubs for hands and couldn't catch syphillis. Bryson will be inserted into the game as a 2nd HB and or "FB" for receiving duties. I picture a play action to KJ, Bryson chip blocks a DE/LB and rolls out into the flat as a safety valve. Asking Bryson to be a lead back would be comical. You will still see Sledge in there on a designed run in the two back set.

this brings up a pet peeve of mine concerning rbs: how hard is it to catch a swing pass or a screen pass? every human being with four fingers and a thumb should be able to do this! i've never understood some rbs having "good hands" and others "not having good hands." these guys have to catch the ball lobbed from ten feet away! it's not like they're doing fly patterns down the sideline.

this brings up a pet peeve of mine concerning rbs: how hard is it to catch a swing pass or a screen pass? every human being with four fingers and a thumb should be able to do this! i've never understood some rbs having "good hands" and others "not having good hands." these guys have to catch the ball lobbed from ten feet away! it's not like they're doing fly patterns down the sideline.

My guesses:

1. Purely hand eye coordination problems-- I used to bat a tennis ball against the wall for hours when I was young (obviously before the internet) simply for the pure enjoyment of making some incredible diving one handed catches. I ended up having one of the best pair of hands growing up playing football and basketball of all my peers. An english friend who grew up playing thoccer couldn't catch with two hands, velcro and a jar of molasses poured all over him. But, he had awesome foot to eye coordination on the thoccer field.

2. Concentration problems--It's one thing to have the vision to avoid hits in the open field or even going through the hole but to be out in the flat and to be be vulnerable to a hit as you raise your hands to catch can play mind games on the coordination. Just like not all receivers can go over the middle. Also the running before the arrival of the ball which is a RB's natural instinct. This part of the deal, I think is correctable. Just takes some repetition IMO. Hopefully for Lion fans, this is the case with KJ.

All those teams changed their uniforms before success.....So Detroit has a shot.... :banana:

All those teams changed their uniforms before success.....So Detroit has a shot.... :thumbsup:

actually, the lions made some changes to their uniforms before last season...it didn't help.

actually, the lions made some changes to their uniforms before last season...it didn't help.

Tampa didn't win the SB the year they changed uniforms. But they started seeing success.

Does the Millen factor outway the Changed Uniform factor?

In 2 years, we could see an Arizona V Detroit SB

In 2 years, we could see an Arizona V Detroit SB

That'd be tough considering they're in the same conference. :)

That'd be tough considering they're in the same conference. ;)

good point. I'm sure the new CBA covers this....... :)

:lol: