Sign in to follow this  
Recidivist

Thread with Unintentional Racial Overtones

This morning I went to my local car rental agency to pick up the vehicle I had reserved yesterday afternoon. I got there 10 minutes before they opened and was the only person in the parking lot. Prior to the store opening, two African-American gals in their 50s (call them Party #1) pulled in and waited near the front door beside me. Shortly thereafter, another African-American gal about 30 or so (Party #2), was dropped off and she began to wait outside with us. I greeted each with a warm smile and a heartfelt "Good Morning." My gestures went unreturned and for the most part, unacknowledged. Oh well, I tried.

Clearly, I was the first person on the premises and as such, should be the first customer to receive service when the doors opened. When the door was opened, Party #1 and Party #2 barged right past me and walked in. No sweat I think to myself, they surely will recognize I was the first customer in line and not try to cut.

There was but one employee behind the counter and the two old broads in Party #1 waddle up to be served while Party #2 takes her place in line behind them. I was totally taken aback by the consummate rudeness and lack of courtesy exhibited by both parties, so I wadded up the newspaper I was reading, threw it in the trash demonstratively, sighed heavily, and said in a voice that could be heard by all, "TYPICAL!".

Party #1 looked over at me as if I was out of line but I glared back. The employee was trying to tell them their credit card needed to have the same name as the driver's license. Of course they hadn't made a reservation either.

Party #2 must have had some semblance of a conscience because she offered her spot in line to me, which I of course took while informing her that she wasn't really doing me a favor anyway, merely doing what was right.

A second employee then came out and took care of me. My transaction took all of 60 seconds. As I left the building to get in my rental car, the broads in Party #1 were berating the employee for suggesting to them that if they had made a reservation in advance, the agency would have had the van they wanted.

In reflecting upon what transpired, I can't help but think that if I was the same race as the ladies in Party #1 & Party #2, perhaps I would not have been treated so discourteously?

I don't see this as a racist problem...more like a rudeness problem.

You suck. You were behind them, and they were preoccupied. That was a perfect time to deliver an atomic wedgie. I doubt their thongs were riding low in the crack, but instead high above the pants line.

I'll bet that your race was the reason the 2nd employee came out. And I'll also bet that the women felt that your race got you a car faster.

You know what? Life's too f'n short. Let them live their rude crabby lives and just laugh to yourself at what losers they are and just be happy.

And I don't think this had anything to do with race, unless you think party 1 felt a little twinge of "HA! Take THAT whitey!" when they cut you. In that case, refer to the above.

Actually, after re-reading your post:

You declared the action of the women to be "TYPICAL" in a loud voice. That's WAY more racial than what they did. You basically stated that being rude and pushy is a trait of black women and let them know you felt that way.

Also, with both the "TYPICAL" line and telling the woman that gave you her spot in line that she wasn't doing you any favors... it kinda looks like you are the rude racial one, no?

You declared the action of the women to be "TYPICAL" in a loud voice. That's WAY more racial than what they did. You basically stated that being rude and pushy is a trait of black women and let them know you felt that way.

Also, with both the "TYPICAL" line and telling the woman that gave you her spot in line that she wasn't doing you any favors... it kinda looks like you are the rude racial one, no?

Can't call it racial simply by the words "typical". It depends on intent, and what the typical was refering to. The listener can infer whatever they want.

It could be directed to all rude people, all women, all fat women, all people in this city, all people in the world (paranoia), all black people, disgust with the service at this establishment, this has been a crappy day, etc.

Why do you think 'Typical' refered to race? perhaps it was gender related. regardless he handled it well.

you are reaching with this because you have a subconcious hatred for black people.

you sir, are a racist. :lol: :lol:

j/k

You picked up what part of my concern was. When I uttered that line, in my mind I was thinking that this type of rude behavior was typical of people here in South Florida (and elsewhere I guess). But as soon as I said it, I realized that others might think it was a not-so veiled racist remark. Oops. Not my intent at all, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

once, i saw mayhem punch a black guy in the throat, just because. the black guy collapsed...and recidivist shouted "typical!" from 9 states away. i don't know what was so typical, that mayhem's white-power-related anger spilled out again, or that the black guy was wearing a sports jersey.

i guess it doesn't matter because they were all run over by an asian man...except for me, i was home drinking and beating my wife.

:huh:

You picked up what part of my concern was. When I uttered that line, in my mind I was thinking that this type of rude behavior was typical of people here in South Florida (and elsewhere I guess). But as soon as I said it, I realized that others might think it was a not-so veiled racist remark. Oops. Not my intent at all, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Ah... you left out that very important detail: this happened in South Florida.

This, sir, is typical behavior for South Floridians, regardless of race, gender, or sexual orientation.

' date='Mar 31 2006, 10:07 AM' post='2353008']

once, i saw mayhem punch a black guy in the throat, just because. the black guy collapsed...and recidivist shouted "typical!" from 9 states away. i don't know what was so typical, that mayhem's white-power-related anger spilled out again, or that the black guy was wearing a sports jersey.

i guess it doesn't matter because they were all run over by an asian man...except for me, i was home drinking and beating my wife.

:lol:

I remember that. It was awesome. :thumbsup:

BTW - has your wife recovered yet? Last I remember she still had the welt from the 4 iron.

Ah... you left out that very important detail: this happened in South Florida.

This, sir, is typical behavior for South Floridians, regardless of race, gender, or sexual orientation.

directional floridianist!

:mellow:

Some important details are missing from this story, and I can't form an opinion without them. What were the CAN sizes, and since they were black women, booty sizes too.....TIA HTH. :blink: