Sign in to follow this  
congressmanreality

Rebuilt Engines and Transmissions....worth the price?

Example:

I found a 1991 Ford Bronco, it has a Rebuilt Engine with only 6,000 mile on it, same goes for the Transmission...

What I really want to know is....what does rebuilding the engine really do for it? Its still the same engine right, just basically taken apart and put back together, maybe a few minor things here and there replaced....

1991 Ford Bronco with Rebuilt engine and Transmission is going for 4,500 Dollars

1991 Ford Bronco with 144,000 miles is going for 2,000 dollars....

which one is the better deal?

depending on the motor and tranny each one could be worth half the price of either truck...the tranny could be any one of three c4, c6 or A.O.D. c4 being plain jane normal c6 is indesturctable and people pay a lot of money for one($1000) the AOD is the first overdrive tranny in a ford truck. As for the motor it could be the staight 6, 302 302HO 351windsor, 351clevlend or the 351modified. The straight 6 is indestuctable but under powered for the bronco 302 is the stock motor the 302HO is really just the mustang motor 351w is the other "stock" motor if the bronco has the 351c or 351m buy it now those motors are beasts anyway to answer your question either one could be a deal.....

depending on the motor and tranny each one could be worth half the price of either truck...the tranny could be any one of three c4, c6 or A.O.D. c4 being plain jane normal c6 is indesturctable and people pay a lot of money for one($1000) the AOD is the first overdrive tranny in a ford truck. As for the motor it could be the staight 6, 302 302HO 351windsor, 351clevlend or the 351modified. The straight 6 is indestuctable but under powered for the bronco 302 is the stock motor the 302HO is really just the mustang motor 351w is the other "stock" motor if the bronco has the 351c or 351m buy it now those motors are beasts anyway to answer your question either one could be a deal.....

i was gonna say that ya beat me to it :argue: :mad:

A rebuild is only as good as the PERSON that rebuilt it.

Fixed :argue:

You also have to question why a guy's selling a car 6000 miles after he just put a bunch of cash into it.

You also have to question why a guy's selling a car 6000 miles after he just put a bunch of cash into it.

He's a Marine and is getting shipped to Korea....doesnt want to pay storage I suppose

Unfortunately, "Rebuilt" is an overused term when selling a car.

Could be they rebuilt the heads and never touched the short block, meaning you willl likely blow the rings.

Or they changed rings due to smoking/ oil consumption, but never touched the heads.

With a simple Chevy 350, it's cheaper to purchase a new "create motor" than rebuild your current engine.

I'm always leery of the term "rebuilt". Unless you know the shop is reputable, and see all the receipts.