Sign in to follow this  
Ravens 03

Quick Question about Paying for College

College Decision  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who decides which college kid goes to?

• Kid
    • Parents
    • Rat's Ass

Thankfully I live in Canada so most of my university costs were payed for by the government. I still have loans, but they are manageable.

Canadian universities..... <_<

Thankfully I live in Canada so most of my university costs were payed for by the government. I still have loans, but they are manageable.

Where TH do you live?

Paid for by the gov't?

Im also in Canada and I have ridiculous loans and no the gov't didn't flip the bill for any of it. Sure they lent me some but then they decided I had to pay it back plus an insane amount of interest.

Is it different when you apply to a school that teaches you from the back of a van?

Maybe it's a provincial thing?

I am very surprised as to the results of this poll.

Who decides which college kid goes to?

Kid [ 14 ] [70.00%]

Parents [ 6 ] [30.00%]

Total Votes: 20

I think it's because of the limited number of choices in your poll that the results seem so one-sided. I think that some of the people don't want to take the decision completely out of the kid's hands just because the parents are paying for it. I'm guessing that if you had a choice for "Parent sets limits, but kid gets choice" or "Parent sets amount they will pay towards college, kid has final decision and pays the rest" those would be more popular.

I chose the 'Parents choose' option - only because I think it's wholly unreasonable for someone not paying anything to be given the complete choice of where they want to go. Like you were saying, if they chose to go somewhere that was $50K per semester, would you really just shrug your shoulders and say "oh well, debt - here I come!". I would think not. I also don't think a parent should force their kid to go to a certain school either, though. If I haven't been clear, I think a parent should set whatever their limits are that they are willing to spend and anything else will be made up by the kid and the kid can have the final choice. As with any good relationship though, both parties should have some input in the decision.

In my case, my parents couldn't afford to send me to college. They made that clear to my brother and I early on. I had the grades and extracurriculars to get some scholarships and my dad took me around to visit schools and help me to decide what might be right for me. I ended up going to the college that gave me the most in scholarships/grants and I had enough saved to pay for the first couple years (on top of my grant/scholarship money). My last couple years were paid partially with loans.

I knew a lot of people in college that wasted their time and didn't value getting an education because they weren't paying for it. Not saying that all feel or act that way - but some look at it as a 4 year party (if they make it that long) that someone else is paying for.

Yeah, it is the kids future, the parents should help their kid's make the right choice, but, let the kids choose their own college, unless it is like a trucker's college.

Yeah, my parent's may give me a couple bucks for tuition if i am lucky, they claim they are not paying for any of it, but, i am sure they will end up throwing a few bucks my way. Of course, this can all be avoided if i get a full ride.

Any help would be appreciated.

[Assuming parents foot the bill]

My feeling is the kids can research and look into/apply to any college he/she wants.

My feeling is after that, the kids can state preference, and parents ultimate decide as they are paying for it.

TIA

Sounds very reasonable to me. I had to join the military and put myself through; so for the lucky ones that have it paid for, they better respect thy parents wishes.

The person paying decides

if the kid wants to go somewhere else --get a job--loans--GI bill--scholarship -- be a grown up person

choose for yourself

pay for yourself

Where TH do you live?

Paid for by the gov't?

Im also in Canada and I have ridiculous loans and no the gov't didn't flip the bill for any of it. Sure they lent me some but then they decided I had to pay it back plus an insane amount of interest.

Is it different when you apply to a school that teaches you from the back of a van?

Maybe it's a provincial thing?

University of Western Ontario. Costs are extremely high for International students (Government won't foot any of the bill.) Usually tutition would be around $20000 - $25000 a year, but I only had to pay $5000 a year (science undergraduate). The rest was taken of by the government. My annual expenses (with books and such) was around $13000 a year. Parents chipped in what they could afford and the rest was payed for through a loan. Once you graduate, the maximum amount of loan you would have to pay off is $28000 (even if you received more than that amount money) Its still a lot of money though.

Hell in places like Italy tution is free if your a citizen.

I went to college and it was ok.

Why did this get bumped?

Put on the "black face" and get a minority scholarship. Hilarity will ensue..... :rolleyes:

no need for black face just go HERE