Sign in to follow this  
BennyAndTheJets

NFL Draft

Just interested in some opinions. I'm a Jets fan, and I've been reading alot about the upcoming draft. So many Jets fans have different opinions on who should be the Jets first pick. I was wondering what everyone thought of the need vs. want argument. I would love to have a guy like Vernon Davis, he would add an extra dimension to a sorry offense. I really like what San Diego has done with Gates. I am in no way saying I'd like to Jets to use their first pick on Davis. I want Ferguson myself.

However, my question is...is it ever right for a team to draft a want over a need? Let's say for the sake of argument Davis will be the next Gates. Is it worth it to a team to draft him and take a beating with some holes for a year, just to be able to have him on the team?

I personally am not sure how I'd feel. Just wondering what everyone else thinks.

Is it worth it to a team to draft (Vernon Davis) and take a beating with some holes for a year, just to be able to have him on the team?

No.

Belichick

“…I go back to when I was with the Giants and we had [linebackers] Lawrence Taylor and Brad Van Pelt, and took [linebacker] Carl Banks. Nobody liked that pick. ‘That was a pretty stupid pick, why would you take Banks when you have Van Pelt and Taylor?’ It turned out to be probably one of the best picks with the Giants. I think you have to take guys that you think are good football players. Putting the team together, that’s certainly a process you have to go through. You can’t try to manufacture someone -- ‘we need this position’ -- and take a guy. If he isn’t able to do the job, then you still need that position.”

The Jets NEED and should also WANT Mario Williams.

I agree, I think the Jets talk of D'Brick is nothing but a smokescreen to prevent the Saints from dropping back. They'll either take Leinart if he falls or Super Mario. JMO.

The Jets NEED and should also WANT Mario Williams.

i honestly dont think so

IMO the defense is at the level such that it is a competetive unit as is. the only way i would say that Williams has to be the pick is if it would take this unit to an elite level where it would become very dominant or if they had made moves to cover most of their short comings already

they have way too many questions on offense right now, especially the OL where they had 3 bad starters last year and now they have lost even more

look at the OL right now

LT - Adrian Jones

LG - Pete Kendall

C - Trey Teague

RG - Brandon Moore

RT - Scott Gragg

Jones was BAD at RT last year, not confident with him at LT...

Kendall played well as LG and then C, not sure which he will play now that Teague is in but i would think they signed Teague to play C

Moore was BAD at RG last year, Gragg came over from SF and not really sure how well he will fit in here

i would love to see Ferguson in because it is a NEED where as i see Williams as the WANT because of his athletic ability

Completely disagree about their defense being at a competetive level. Did you see how many times opposing RB's ran silly on the Jets D? It was almost on a weekly basis all season! What the Jets need is a run stopper DT or a great LB. While their secondary was good at shutting down WR's, they couldn't stop anyone's rushing game.

Completely disagree about their defense being at a competetive level. Did you see how many times opposing RB's ran silly on the Jets D? It was almost on a weekly basis all season! What the Jets need is a run stopper DT or a great LB. While their secondary was good at shutting down WR's, they couldn't stop anyone's rushing game.

well, they sign van Olhoffen and Barton was out for a while, otherwise they have a good LB group

in fact, i did see how many times the RBs ran silly on the D, you obviously didn't cause you would have also seen how many times the offense went 3 and out to throw the defense back on the field to get slaughtered

PLEASE, look at how inept the offense was, a lot due to the fact that they had NO blocking along the OL, and how long the D was on the field each and every game

dont forget, this was the same D that ranked 4th 2 years ago and then brought in Law to help the secondary

if you look at it, they do have a good D so dont start arguing something stupid like this

If I were a GM, I'd address need through FA (or trade) then draft the best talent available at my spot. It seems many mock drafts are laid out based on immediate need, but few rookies could immediately fill that need. So.. :clap:

well, they sign van Olhoffen and Barton was out for a while, otherwise they have a good LB group

in fact, i did see how many times the RBs ran silly on the D, you obviously didn't cause you would have also seen how many times the offense went 3 and out to throw the defense back on the field to get slaughtered

PLEASE, look at how inept the offense was, a lot due to the fact that they had NO blocking along the OL, and how long the D was on the field each and every game

dont forget, this was the same D that ranked 4th 2 years ago and then brought in Law to help the secondary

if you look at it, they do have a good D so dont start arguing something stupid like this

Actually, if you look at when the RB's gained their yardage, it wasn't all in the second half when the defense was 'tired'. So I don't consider this a stupid arguement.

If I were a GM, I'd address need through FA (or trade) then draft the best talent available at my spot. It seems many mock drafts are laid out based on immediate need, but few rookies could immediately fill that need. So.. :banana:

:D

Round 1 - 2 Take best available player (under right conditions)

Round 3 - 7 Improve depth

You especially don't want to take a player (especially in the top 10) out of need, while ignoring the best available player.

Just interested in some opinions. I'm a Jets fan, and I've been reading alot about the upcoming draft. So many Jets fans have different opinions on who should be the Jets first pick. I was wondering what everyone thought of the need vs. want argument. I would love to have a guy like Vernon Davis, he would add an extra dimension to a sorry offense. I really like what San Diego has done with Gates. I am in no way saying I'd like to Jets to use their first pick on Davis. I want Ferguson myself.

However, my question is...is it ever right for a team to draft a want over a need? Let's say for the sake of argument Davis will be the next Gates. Is it worth it to a team to draft him and take a beating with some holes for a year, just to be able to have him on the team?

I personally am not sure how I'd feel. Just wondering what everyone else thinks.

The Jets are absolutely loaded here. They are going to get to choose between either D'Brick or Mario, which is a cant lose. In spite of that, they may take a QB, depending on what they think of Young and/or Cutler. Then they get two more picks with 1st round grades at 29 and 35.

At the bottom of the round they might go RB. Several solid players rate to go 20-35, Addai, D Williams, L White. They could take a TE: Pope or Lewis. LB: Wymberly, Carpenter, DE: Hali, S: Allen, Whitner, OL Chester, Mangold, Winston, Joseph, McNeill. Many of those players will be gone, but they are assured a nice selection at 29 and what's left at 35.

J