Sign in to follow this  
Walter34

Manning Jr - Arrested

NFL Free Agent Ricky Manning Jr. Arrested

© 2006 The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES — NFL defensive back Ricky Manning Jr. was arrested on suspicion of assault Sunday after a fight at a restaurant near the UCLA campus.

Manning, a 25-year-old restricted free agent who signed an offer sheet with the Chicago Bears on Friday after three seasons with Carolina, was arrested at about 3 a.m. after he allegedly hit a man in the face along with four or five companions at a Denny's restaurant in the Westwood section of Los Angeles, said officer Mike Lopez, a spokesman for the Los Angeles Police Department.

Police did not know what prompted the fight, or whether Manning knew the alleged victim.

Manning, a former UCLA star, and his companions left the restaurant in an SUV and were pulled over by police soon after when the vehicle was spotted by a helicopter, Lopez said.

Police said Manning was arrested for assault with a deadly weapon despite not being armed because he was aided by companions, and because great bodily force was used.

Manning was released after posting $30,000 bail.

Manning's deal with the Bears is worth up to $21 million over five years, according to his agent. The Panthers have until April 28 to match the Bears' offer.

Too funny. :huh:

Already need to look for out clauses in the fine print of the as yet to be finalized offer sheet. I'm guessing the Panthers dont match. :thumbsdown:

no biggie. you can't be an nfl player apparently without assaulting someone, selling crack, using crack, killing someone, or hiring someone to kill some one.

the signing and the contract were stupid for the bears for other reasons.

no biggie. you can't be an nfl player apparently without assaulting someone, selling crack, using crack, killing someone, or hiring someone to kill some one.

the signing and the contract were stupid for the bears for other reasons.

and if he wasnt signed you would have said it was stupid not to address the depth issue. We know your MO ...

and if he wasnt signed you would have said it was stupid not to address the depth issue. We know your MO ...

it's my opinion, walt. agree or disagree. i've said all along the draft was very deep and the bears would have been better off to use a day 1 pick on cb instead of paying that kind of dough to a nickel back. they still could do that, but the contract they gave manning is an eye-opener.

how can you justify that contract, walt? even you as the epitome of the term "bear homer" must have reservations about manning's signing.

it's my opinion, walt. agree or disagree. i've said all along the draft was very deep and the bears would have been better off to use a day 1 pick on cb instead of paying that kind of dough to a nickel back. they still could do that, but the contract they gave manning is an eye-opener.

how can you justify that contract, walt? even you as the epitome of the term "bear homer" must have reservations about manning's signing.

We dont know the specifics of the contract and how much of the 21 mill is incentive based or backloaded so that it would never be realized. On the surface, its a ton of cash obviously. The bottom line from a player perspective is that we have quality depth and a fairly young player at a key position - one that would be more productive in the short term than any rookie we could draft in round 1. The most critical need - CB depth was addressed.

It may be a bad contract or it may be a smart one that is designed with incentives. Time will tell.

If the Bears make a bad move, I'd be the first to admit it. I didnt like the Benson draft pick last year. I was all over them for not getting the veteran qb last year and felt they were lucky that Orton was servicable.

I wont jump the gun on Manning before all the facts are revealed.

I wont jump the gun on Manning before all the facts are revealed.

What fun is that? That sounds eerily similar to proclaiming an unproven team with talent was going to be great. Now where have I heard that before...

What fun is that? That sounds eerily similar to proclaiming an unproven team with talent was going to be great. Now where have I heard that before...

... or qbs that have been on the bench for 2 years are automatically an upgrade?

I can't believe something like this would happen at a Denny's at 3 in the morning. :bandana:

Once again NFJAIL!

I can't believe something like this would happen at a Denny's at 3 in the morning. :bandana:

Sounds like the munchies to me!

Why would he? That's not what being a fan is about. It's about blindly supporting every single move the team makes, no matter what you truly think of it, right? "Millen is a draft genius!!! Don't write of BMW yet, he's going to be awesome!! Remember those 7 games where Kevin Jones was good! S-T-U-D I tell ya! Marinelli for president, Martz as VP!!! "

That's what being a fan is all about, right welch?

boy between this and derrek lee breaking his wrist right after signing an extension with the cubs, this just hasn't been the month for chicago teams and their contract timing!

Why would he? That's not what being a fan is about. It's about blindly supporting every single move the team makes, no matter what you truly think of it, right? "Millen is a draft genius!!! Don't write of BMW yet, he's going to be awesome!! Remember those 7 games where Kevin Jones was good! S-T-U-D I tell ya! Marinelli for president, Martz as VP!!! "

That's what being a fan is all about, right welch?

this has nothing to do with what manning will or won't do on the field--or the speculation thereof: it's about analyzing the data of the contract now, today, period. you are completely blinded by your hate and being irrational. the items you've mentioned are in no way related to this conversation about manning's contract.

thanks for playing. breath deep. relax.

this has nothing to do with what manning will or won't do on the field--or the speculation thereof: it's about analyzing the data of the contract now, today, period. you are completely blinded by your hate and being irrational. the items you've mentioned are in no way related to this conversation about manning's contract.

"Manning will be worth every penny because he's going to be the best CB in the NFC!!! Well, best except for Vasher and Tillman. He's GREAT I tell ya, Angelo is a genius! 25 year old CB's that have experience in the Superbowl don't grown on trees, just glad that we have genius Angelo!!! The Lions could, and probably will, draft a WR in the 1st every year until 2010 and they won't be able to pass on this defense!!! Genius Angelo for President! Lovie for Pope!!!"

this has nothing to do with what manning will or won't do on the field--or the speculation thereof: it's about analyzing the data of the contract now, today, period.

Which is exactly what you're not doing. You know nothing about how the contract is structured, you just know the year and dollar amount. Let's ignore the trend of backloaded and incentive-laden contracts and instead throw a kneejerk reaction to the superficial facts of the contract.

Read. Analyze. Think. Then talk.

Which is exactly what you're not doing. You know nothing about how the contract is structured, you just know the year and dollar amount. Let's ignore the trend of backloaded and incentive-laden contracts and instead throw a kneejerk reaction to the superficial facts of the contract.

exactly - swamp is ready to call it a dumb move and over priced without knowing any of the critical details of the deal. It may end up being bad, it may not be - you just dont know at this time.

When Millen was blowing money on the likes of Az Hakim, Bill Schroeder, and guys of that ilk, of course welchdog wanted to see the contract structure and take the wait and see approach to see how the guys panned out.

But we're talking about the Bears here, not the Lions, so why would you expect him to apply the same reasoning? :banana:

exactly - swamp is ready to call it a dumb move and over priced without knowing any of the critical details of the deal. It may end up being bad, it may not be - you just dont know at this time.

walt, i asked you whether you had any concerns about it--not whether you personally thought the move was stupid or not.

from my opinion--of which each of us is entitled to a personal opinion--is that a cb of manning's quality could be had for a lot less money in the draft, especially in a year very deep at cb.

the contract has to be fairly attractive because it was made to a restricted free agent. in such a situation, the team doing the bidding (bears) must make it financially unacceptable for the player's current team to match. there is a built-in mechanism to restricted free agency that pretty much demands a team wooing a player needing to overpay. if not? the parent team will match and not think twice about it.

When Millen was blowing money on the likes of Az Hakim, Bill Schroeder, and guys of that ilk, of course welchdog wanted to see the contract structure and take the wait and see approach to see how the guys panned out.

But we're talking about the Bears here, not the Lions, so why would you expect him to apply the same reasoning? :D

those turned out to be bad signings. agreed.

so what's your take on the manning signing (if we can get back to that point ;)).

newsflash, homer bear, LOTS is known about the contract. oh, like, for instance, i dunno...$7.5 MILLION DOLLARS IN GUARANTEED MONEY IN YEAR ONE OF THE CONTRACT.

read it and weep:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-b...ov=ap&type=lgns

now that we have that little issue solved, feel free to move forward and participate: you think it was a good signing now?

So...when you are blinded by things and being irrational it is fine?

When you bring up items that are not related to the conversation at all and try to always compare to what the Packers and Bears are doing its fine?

Thought so....hypocrite.

$7.5 mill in guaranteed money in year one, fellas:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-b...ov=ap&type=lgns

ba-bump

So...when you are blinded by things and being irrational it is fine?

When you bring up items that are not related to the conversation at all and try to always compare to what the Packers and Bears are doing its fine?

Thought so....hypocrite.

so a packer homer is coming to this thread...to bring up the fact i post unrelated stuff? now that's pure comedy mixed with a healthy dose of irony ;)

walt, i asked you whether you had any concerns about it--not whether you personally thought the move was stupid or not.

from my opinion--of which each of us is entitled to a personal opinion--is that a cb of manning's quality could be had for a lot less money in the draft, especially in a year very deep at cb.

the contract has to be fairly attractive because it was made to a restricted free agent. in such a situation, the team doing the bidding (bears) must make it financially unacceptable for the player's current team to match. there is a built-in mechanism to restricted free agency that pretty much demands a team wooing a player needing to overpay. if not? the parent team will match and not think twice about it.

so what's your take on the manning signing (if we can get back to that point ;)).

Honestly, it appears high based on what we know, which only scratches the surface. I'll wait until I see how the incentives and yearly breakdowns work before judging it though. All contracts are not what they seem on the surface. You need to know the yearly break downs and incentives. For all we know, 5 or 10 mill could be based on him being a starter and not just a nickel back.

From a football perspective, forgetting about cash, I like the signing from the CB depth aspect, assuming manning can stay out of jail.

on the bright side, that $7.5 mill he'll get from the bears this year will buy a lot bail bonds and lawyers ;)

Honestly, it appears high based on what we know, which only scratches the surface. I'll wait until I see how the incentives and yearly breakdowns work before judging it though. All contracts are not what they seem on the surface. You need to know the yearly break downs and incentives. For all we know, 5 or 10 mill could be based on him being a starter and not just a nickel back.

From a football perspective, forgetting about cash, I like the signing from the CB depth aspect, assuming manning can stay out of jail.

$7.5 mill guaranteed. in year one. only. period.

and this would make perfect sense. why? because he's a RESTRICTED free agent. and to sign a restricted free agent you need to make the parent team throw up when they look at the contract. if not, it's very easy for the parent team just to match it.

but spin away...

so what's your take on the manning signing (if we can get back to that point :wall:).

Yet you blindly supported and defended them at the time, like you do all things Lions related. And at the same time expect Walt to do the opposite.

My take on the contract is already in the thread about signing Manning. You're the one trying to bring unrelated things into this thread, which is about Manning's arrest. All of my comments are very on point with the direction you've decided you'd like the thread to take.

Yet you blindly supported and defended them at the time, like you do all things Lions related. And at the same time expect Walt to do the opposite.

My take on the contract is already in the thread about signing Manning. You're the one trying to bring unrelated things into this thread, which is about Manning's arrest. All of my comments are very on point with the direction you've decided you'd like the thread to take.

don't have the other thread handy. indulge us in this one :thumbsup:

so a packer homer is coming to this thread...to bring up the fact i post unrelated stuff? now that's pure comedy mixed with a healthy dose of irony :lol:

Actually, I came to this thread to read about the actual subject.

What I posted was related to what was going on in this thread...ie...your attitude and hypocrisy on this board.

But nice try.

Actually, I came to this thread to read about the actual subject.

What I posted was related to what was going on in this thread...ie...your attitude and hypocrisy on this board.

But nice try.

so you came to this thread...and felt the need to make an unrelated comment about a comment you perceived to be unrelated? :lol: :lol:

so you came to this thread...and felt the need to make an unrelated comment about a comment you perceived to be unrelated? :lol: :lol:

:lol:

I came to this thread to read it...then felt the need to make a comment related to your crap...and point out your blatant hypocrisy on this board.

:mad:

I came to this thread to read it...then felt the need to make a comment related to your crap...and point out your blatant hypocrisy on this board.

dude, you're always "feeling the need" :cheers:

quite big of you.

back on task: still trying to get a bear homer's take on the guaranteed $7.5 mill owed manning this year.

dude, you're always "feeling the need" :cheers:

quite big of you.

dude, you're always posting hypocritical BS. Makes my job easy.

I (Bears fan) am not a huge fan of this signing, however, if there is $7.5M guaranteed in the 1st year it is because the Panthers cap space is limited and the BEars likely frontloaded the contract (similar to Tait) so Carolina couldn't match whether they wanted to or not. I am sure that a lot of the $21M is incentive based (as they refer to it as potentially $21M). After year one Manning may be a bargain, but we will not know until the terms of the contract are public.

I am glad however that they did something to address the need for depth at CB. It is better than taking a chance on an old vet with one foot in the grave or the possibility of drafting a bust. At least they have a known entity in Manning, assuming his recent off the field trouble don't impact his ability to get on the field.

I (Bears fan) am not a huge fan of this signing, however, if there is $7.5M guaranteed in the 1st year it is because the Panthers cap space is limited and the BEars likely frontloaded the contract (similar to Tait) so Carolina couldn't match whether they wanted to or not. I am sure that a lot of the $21M is incentive based (as they refer to it as potentially $21M). After year one Manning may be a bargain, but we will not know until the terms of the contract are public.

I am glad however that they did something to address the need for depth at CB. It is better than taking a chance on an old vet with one foot in the grave or the possibility of drafting a bust. At least they have a known entity in Manning, assuming his recent off the field trouble don't impact his ability to get on the field.

agreed. Not sure why this is so hard to understand for some fans of our division rivals. :shocking:

boy between this and derrek lee breaking his wrist right after signing an extension with the cubs, this just hasn't been the month for chicago teams and their contract timing!

Ahem.....White Sox extend Jose Contreras.....BRILLIANT.....currently best pitcher in the leagues....won 11 out past 12 starts dating back to regular season last year

<_<

agreed. Not sure why this is so hard to understand for some fans of our division rivals. :rolleyes:

so you think the $7.5 mill guaranteed this year is a good thing? it would have helped to just say that in the first place ;)

i disagree it's a good thing to pay a nickel back that kind of money in ANY year. but to each his own.

swamp poopie aka dipshit

Just because the Bears are giving Manning 7.5M guaranteed in first year DOES NOT make it a bad contract at all. What one needs to know is what they are giving him in subsequent years too, how much is guaranteed out of that, what is the structure of the guarantees (roster bonuses, signing bonuses etc). The reason I say that is because say for the sake of argument, Manning gets 7.5M guaranteed in year 1 and causes say a cap hit of 10M in the first year....HOWEVER, if Manning gets 0.5M the next 2 years or some thing like that, it is a great contract, BECAUSE the average salaries and cap hits are very realistic for a nickel CB in an era where nickel CBs play a lot

Also, signing Manning does not mean the Bears may not take a CB/S with 1st pick. They could still take a Jason Allen or Donte Whitner if they want. With Azumah retired, Bears needed a VETERAN nickel CB since they are poised to win NOW (unlike the worst franchise in NFL history aka the Lydowns who have never won anything EVAH and their claim to fame is.... well.....ahem.....umm.....nothing)

swamp poopie aka dipshit

Just because the Bears are giving Manning 7.5M guaranteed in first year DOES NOT make it a bad contract at all. What one needs to know is what they are giving him in subsequent years too, how much is guaranteed out of that, what is the structure of the guarantees (roster bonuses, signing bonuses etc). The reason I say that is because say for the sake of argument, Manning gets 7.5M guaranteed in year 1 and causes say a cap hit of 10M in the first year....HOWEVER, if Manning gets 0.5M the next 2 years or some thing like that, it is a great contract, BECAUSE the average salaries and cap hits are very realistic for a nickel CB in an era where nickel CBs play a lot

Also, signing Manning does not mean the Bears may not take a CB/S with 1st pick. They could still take a Jason Allen or Donte Whitner if they want. With Azumah retired, Bears needed a VETERAN nickel CB since they are poised to win NOW (unlike the worst franchise in NFL history aka the Lydowns who have never won anything EVAH and their claim to fame is.... well.....ahem.....umm.....nothing)

so in years 2 and 3 you simply ignore what he got paid this year? that's denial.

his cap hit this year--a nickel back, mind you, a guy you should be able to pick off the street for peanuts or at least draft in rounds 3-4 to no ill effect--is nearly $8 MILLION DOLLARS. you and walt do a good job of glossing over that in your hurry to discuss years 2+ of the contract :rolleyes:

oh, and btw: the dipshiat beat a man unconscious in a denny's restaurant just because the guy was using a laptop and asked the management to get manning and his friends to stop harrassing him? yeah, pay that stupid fock $8 mill this year.

sign two of them at that rate. he's a loser and the bears got stiffed. big time. deal.

so in years 2 and 3 you simply ignore what he got paid this year? that's denial.

his cap hit this year--a nickel back, mind you, a guy you should be able to pick off the street for peanuts or at least draft in rounds 3-4 to no ill effect--is nearly $8 MILLION DOLLARS. you and walt do a good job of glossing over that in your hurry to discuss years 2+ of the contract :thumbsdown:

oh, and btw: the dipshiat beat a man unconscious in a denny's restaurant just because the guy was using a laptop and asked the management to get manning and his friends to stop harrassing him? yeah, pay that stupid fock $8 mill this year.

sign two of them at that rate. he's a loser and the bears got stiffed. big time. deal.

You should know about signing dipshiats....your team is chock full of them. I am shocked you have the time to talk about the Bears while you are busy jerking off at your Suckington or Charles-Druggie-Rogers or BMW-Slow-Fat-Ass poster

his cap hit this year--a nickel back, mind you, a guy you should be able to pick off the street for peanuts or at least draft in rounds 3-4 to no ill effect--is nearly $8 MILLION DOLLARS. you and walt do a good job of glossing over that in your hurry to discuss years 2+ of the contract ;)

We'll get more out of the 8 million than Detroit is going to get with the $12 million cap credit that they got. Because they won't spend any of it, even when they have no QB literally and there is one that has been to pro bowls on the market. :cry:

If these allegations are true then Ricky Manning Jr. should get jail time. At least the victim will be a wealthy man after this.

We'll get more out of the 8 million than Detroit is going to get with the $12 million cap credit that they got. Because they won't spend any of it, even when they have no QB literally and there is one that has been to pro bowls on the market. :first:

I know you're arguing with swamp, but I'd like to dispute your statement somewhat.

Last I read, the remaining cap space that we have is supposed to be used for a new long-term deal for Backus, who have proven to be a capable offensive lineman. The front office and Backus are currently trying to work out a deal.

I also wouldn't call Jon Kitna and Josh McCown "literally nothing" at QB. Kitna has proven to be a good veteran QB, evident by his last starting season, 2003, in which he threw over 3500 yards with 26 TDs and 15 INTs. I think he is underrated. McCown, although he hasn't too done much, has shown promise and may develop into a serviceable starter.

I don't think Culpepper or Brees, two of the "pro bowl" QBs you were alluding to, would have been good signings for the Lions with the $$ that they commanded while coming off of serious injuries.